Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-12-2013, 12:03 PM   #2041
Kedgi
Banned

Oddometer: 1,388
Hi from Kedgi

Hi John

I really enjoyed catching up with your travels today from my couch back home in Shediac, NB

Your accounts of difficulty getting into VZ brought back memories of the day RTWPaul, myself and others were refused entry because of the recent election there. They had the border shut to all. I opted to skip VZ as a result. No regrets. Had a great time riding Colombia instead.

My wife, Angele, bought a bike while I was in SA, a Super Sherpa! She must like your style. I know I do. I hope our paths cross on future trips. Thanks so much for your helpful advice as I started my SA Adventure

Ride safe. Great job on the RR!

Kedgi

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=832336

Dwight
Kedgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 02:41 PM   #2042
Dracula
Deus ex machina

Oddometer: 663
Quote:
Originally Posted by mario33 View Post
Thats in Russian, although person writing that got some problems with replicating Cyrylic letters. should be: добро пожаловать
Quite so, you are right - the writer must have had too many cervezas..

Thanks to John's post I got a kick out of researching this using Google Translate with their virtual keyboards in specific languages.

There is no Transylvanian language per se, although many centuries of history had influenced the dialect Romanian people speak in the region and also German and Hungarian is spoken in some places.
Old 03-12-2013, 02:43 PM   #2043
rtwpaul
out riding...

Oddometer: 1,790
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kedgi View Post

Your accounts of difficulty getting into VZ brought back memories of the day RTWPaul, myself and others were refused entry because of the recent election there.
but Dwight did get within 20 feet of the border on the Colombian side...hopefully John you get across for some free gas and 800+ flavors of ice cream
rtwpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:18 PM   #2044
theturtleshead
Tits on a fish

Oddometer: 775
Where

I see your bike out there buddy!!! Where are ya???
Coffee at La Lolita 9,30 tomorrow!
Just ask Vinnie for directions
Al
theturtleshead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:45 PM   #2045
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDowns View Post
Hi serangelc,

I went back and fixed the spelling. Thanks!

Saludos,
Juan Represa
Nothing like a little Krylon to fix things right up.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 02:51 AM   #2046
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Oddometer: 2,619
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip Seal View Post
Awesome photos, John. What a terrific view from up there! Perhaps you need a boat to travel along all the inlets and bays.
Speaking of transportation, that old truck is a Studebaker! Wow, they are all rusting away in boneyards here!

Keep up the adventure!
Hi Roger,

Studebaker. Wow. Who needs google when I've got you boys to answer every esoteric question I ask. Whether it's mis-spelled Cyrillic or arcane vehicular knowledge.

Look forward to seeing you when I visit Oregon sometime this summer.

Saludos,
Airhead John
Old 03-13-2013, 02:54 AM   #2047
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by theturtleshead View Post
Al
Hi Al,

I'll be there. Fell asleep early and missed you again after a long day of wandering around in the backcountry.

Hasta mañana,
Juan Lolita
Old 03-13-2013, 04:54 PM   #2048
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kedgi View Post
Hi John

I really enjoyed catching up with your travels today from my couch back home in Shediac, NB

Your accounts of difficulty getting into VZ brought back memories of the day RTWPaul, myself and others were refused entry because of the recent election there. They had the border shut to all. I opted to skip VZ as a result. No regrets. Had a great time riding Colombia instead.

My wife, Angele, bought a bike while I was in SA, a Super Sherpa! She must like your style. I know I do. I hope our paths cross on future trips. Thanks so much for your helpful advice as I started my SA Adventure

Ride safe. Great job on the RR!

Kedgi

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=832336

Dwight
Hey Dwight,

You are welcome anytime in north central Nebraska. Free place to stay if you are passing through Bassett on your way to anywhere.

Here's to many more adventure rides! You did a great job on your ride report. Good stuff amigo. I enjoyed reading along. These rides all come to an end eventually. And then it's time to plan the next one. I'll only last another month I imagine before I run out of money.

ADVriding is addicting. There is no cure.

Saludos,
Juan Viajero
Old 03-13-2013, 04:57 PM   #2049
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtwpaul View Post
but Dwight did get within 20 feet of the border on the Colombian side...hopefully John you get across for some free gas and 800+ flavors of ice cream
Free gas and 800 flavors of ice cream? I'm on it. As soon as I can tear myself away from Medellin.

Thanks so much for the backcountry routes and all your suggestions amigo. Me gusta Colombia. Hope to see you down the road.

Saludos,
Juan Paisa
Old 03-13-2013, 05:19 PM   #2050
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

So I got up and walked down to the Cafe de Lolita that was listed on the internet. It turns out it is a chain. I walked to the wrong one at first and then walked back to Al's and the cleaning lady had arrived and pointed me to the right one a block away. Sigh.

Had a nice time hanging out with Al. This is not a great picture of Al, but I didn't think to take another:

and his trusty German Shepherd Missy:

I can't remember if I posted the waypoint to the Shamrock:

N 6º 12.460'
W 75º 33.972'

Anyway, I really like this place. It turns out that Al needs some masonry work done. Fix the tile roof, remove some brick planters and make some cement pads for putting more tables outside, that sort of thing. So I'll get right on it. Make myself useful for a few days while I wait for Venezuela to cool down a bit.

I wish my camera was faster. There was an absolutely beautiful Colombiana walking by talking on her cell phone and because of the delay on my camera i missed the shot. Took another as she was walking away:

Marcel and Stephanie, the cute Swiss couple who were staying at the hostel in Guatape are here. What are the chances? Quite a coincidence I would say. I assured them I was not stalking them. Here is Stephanie this evening out on the terrace. Kind of dark:

Her credit card wasn't working to book an online flight to Cartegena so I let her use my Mastercard since Visa didn't seem to be working. Turned out my Mastercard expired last month. Holy cow! Glad she found that out for me. That means I'll have to pay cash for a flight home. Might cut my South America sojourn short. Ah well. I'll figure something out. I'm just glad to know I have a dead credit card.Colombia doesn't seem to like her Visa. She looked online and thought it was because it was Swiss. Hmmmmm. I'll find out if either of my Visa cards work. Or I'll fly out of some other country I suppose.

But Colombia is the cheap flight back to Miami or Houston on Jet Blue I believe. My sister will let me know. She is my travel agent. I think at this point I have enough money to last another month maybe.

As soon as I finish up here at the Shamrock sprucing things up for St. Patrick's day, I'll head over to Venezuela and see what's up.

more later……
Old 03-13-2013, 06:08 PM   #2051
Hawk62cj5
2 Cheap 4 a KLR

Oddometer: 578
I was thinking about you today john when I went looking for an abandoned bridge in the woods . When I was running a maze of old logging roads and rail beds not really caring if I found it or not just enjoying the scenery and the bike putting through the wilderness. I said this would be fun to do all day every day on the sherpa , I guess a 5 second glimpse into your world .

I did find a route to the bridge

Been enjoying your report and hope one day to be able to roll with the flow as well as you do .
Hawk62cj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 06:41 PM   #2052
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk62cj5 View Post
I was thinking about you today john when I went looking for an abandoned bridge in the woods . When I was running a maze of old logging roads and rail beds not really caring if I found it or not just enjoying the scenery and the bike putting through the wilderness. I said this would be fun to do all day every day on the sherpa , I guess a 5 second glimpse into your world .

I did find a route to the bridge

Been enjoying your report and hope one day to be able to roll with the flow as well as you do .
Hi Hawk62cj5,

Nice! I remember when my Sherpa looked like yours 36,000 miles ago. It still is humming along. Doesn't burn oil after all this time. I don't know if they're all like mine. But she's a keeper. Even with Suzuki front forks.

Love that Dakar ADV sticker on the number plate. Nice to have you along for the ride amigo.

Saludos,
Juan Sherpa
Old 03-13-2013, 06:46 PM   #2053
Misery Goat
Positating the negative

Oddometer: 74,695
Quote:
Originally Posted by theturtleshead View Post
Al
I thought that was our place?

Same as it ever was

My Wanderlust
Misery Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 07:05 PM   #2054
Hawk62cj5
2 Cheap 4 a KLR

Oddometer: 578
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDowns View Post
Hi Hawk62cj5,

Nice! I remember when my Sherpa looked like yours 36,000 miles ago. It still is humming along. Doesn't burn oil after all this time. I don't know if they're all like mine. But she's a keeper. Even with Suzuki front forks.

Love that Dakar ADV sticker on the number plate. Nice to have you along for the ride amigo.

Saludos,
Juan Sherpa
Yeah Ive told you this but your one of the reasons I bought the sherpa over a KLR 650 . Yeah I had the sticker and when I took a hard offroad spill I pretty good scratches in the decal that the sticker camouflaged perfectly so it was meant to be . The sherpa seems to be a perfect fit down there across the gulf and it works well on this side also ,I only have about 2000 miles on mine so far but havent had it a year yet . Ive been using it to find and map out dirt roads here in VA hopefully to have a route thats at lest 50/50 dirt/backroads for dual sports to cross Va on . I plan on keeping my sherpa for along time and if my wife ever wants to ride Ill own 2 bikes like a weestrom or triumph something for 2 up cause I dont think the sherpa would like my 240 lbs and my wife on it at the same time lol If we ever cross paths Ill buy you a meal and we will have to shoot the breeze a bit .
Hawk62cj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 07:11 PM   #2055
theturtleshead
Tits on a fish

Oddometer: 775
Geez!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misery Goat View Post
I thought that was our place?
Nothing worse than being caught cheatin!
Mind you in Colombia these things can happen!
Yo no fui
Al
theturtleshead is online now   Reply With Quote