ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West – California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-04-2013, 11:31 PM   #3781
SFMCjohn

Oddometer: 839
Quote:
Originally Posted by joefromsf View Post
Hey folks. I've mentioned to a bunch of you at some recent gatherings that I had scary crash on my Western TAT trip. No Ride Report yet, but I have posted the video in Face Plant: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=867625

P.S. I'm fine.
Wow, Joe, that's a scary video ...

I was watching it with Cary, you should have heard her scream ... I think we both screamed ... not sure what I was expecting, but we were not prepared for that ...

Glad you are fine! Thanks for posting the link here, not a big fan of the inmates in Faceplant, so I'd have missed it ...

see you around the campfire,
-- SFMCjohn
IBA#'98onaEX500
SFMCjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 09:48 AM   #3782
larryboy
Chopper Rider

Oddometer: 14,108
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFMCjohn View Post
Hey LB,
Wow, what have you been feeding the CBR250r?
Does the Wing live in your garage ...?
-- SFMCjohn

24,000 miles on the 250 since July 1 and I can't take any more of that thing.

Bought the wing, much happier on the cummute. Saves me 20 minutes per day not having to fight the wind...set the cruise and flip through the XM stations.
larryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:01 AM   #3783
larryboy
Chopper Rider

Oddometer: 14,108
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFMCjohn View Post
Wow, Joe, that's a scary video ...

I was watching it with Cary, you should have heard her scream ... I think we both screamed ... not sure what I was expecting, but we were not prepared for that ...

Glad you are fine! Thanks for posting the link here, not a big fan of the inmates in Faceplant, so I'd have missed it ...

-- SFMCjohn

I fully expected it, he'd been looking left over his shoulder looking for his buddy...you go where you look.

Glad you're ok Joe and knowing you were ok before I watched the video let me have a good belly laugh when I saw what you did.

Seriously glad you're ok.
larryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 12:31 PM   #3784
r3r3r
Wildebeast

Oddometer: 544
Quote:
Hey folks. I've mentioned to a bunch of you at some recent gatherings that I had scary crash on my Western TAT trip. No Ride Report yet, but I have posted the video in Face Plant: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=867625

P.S. I'm fine.
Joe, so glad to hear that you are ok. That was a nasty crash. Big respect to you for keeping it together and to Darrell, etal. for helping you (and your bike/gear) get out safely.
r3r3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 03:02 PM   #3785
Just Paul
Pro Cat Herder

Oddometer: 2,094
thanks for posting that Joe.

When I ride my 990 I often keep my spot in my panniers or in the glove box..

No more.. its going on me just like when I ride my Honda !

“The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine
Just Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 04:55 PM   #3786
chrish4ku
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 751
Agree with THAT guy..

I used to strap it to my bike - now always on my CamelBack.
2011 KTM 990 Adventure / KTM 500 EXC
Chris' Sat Tracker
chrish4ku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 09:50 PM   #3787
Overcomb3
Icy PUMA

Oddometer: 33
Nothin but nice folks up on summit today

Hi all. Total noob here. Been lurkin & thought I should say howdy.
Well, can't say I've never owned a dual sport before(1998tiger) but I certainly never owned one like my new to me bike. 2008 990 S. I never really did much dirt riding on my tiger so lets just say I'm a complete novice. I got my new bike about 2 weeks ago & ain't been off it since;^}. I luv it and would sleep ride it if I could. Only problem I'm having is not enough time off work to get the hell outta da Bay Area to find sum dirt. Finally after lurkin here awhile & seeing the threads about summit road I gave it a shot. I totally waffled all morning about going. I checked the weather and it showed rain by the late afternoon. Now I know a lot of you must be thinking what kinda rider am I that I'm worried about a little rain. Well, lets get that outta the way right now. More than 20 yrs. 30 something bikes(I lost count). Mostly streetbikes & vintage beemers. So, truth be told I wasn't to keen on gettin caught in the rain and endin up riding in mud. I've got good gear and don't mind rain rides its the mud I fear. I've also got good crash bars & a skid plate.........just not installed yet. Anyway I decided screw it and went for a ride. Left Pinole around 1pm. Headed down 101 to 87. Followed almaden to Harry to Mckean and onto uvas. Y'all kno the rest I'm sure. After reading that there have been a few concerns about riding up there I was curious to say the least. As I got further up mt. Madonna rd the weather started to get pretty ominous. No rain tho. I turned right onto summit and prepared to surely run into rain before I found dirt. It was cold up there fo sho. No rain still. Found dirt and made my way. Passed a few cages and just waved. They waved back. No altercations & no residents openly protesting my presence. Really beautiful up there. I've lived near the bay most of my life but never knew this place existed. Great fun. Had a blast didn't crash and never saw a drop. Figure if I make this any longer y'all start tellin me to post to day rides. Sorry for the length just wanted to share.
Overcomb3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 12:33 PM   #3788
stu_tfl
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 230
Damm Joe, that was scary.

When you going back to finish the ride? need company?

Quote:

P.S. I'm fine.

Jasper Carrott - 1975
stu_tfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 03:40 PM   #3789
r3r3r
Wildebeast

Oddometer: 544
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overcomb3 View Post
Hi all. Total noob here. Been lurkin & thought I should say howdy.
Welcome to ADV and to this Bay Area thread.
r3r3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 12:43 AM   #3790
kaia
team F5 ⌘R

Oddometer: 1,955
two-track in Big Basin??

there's a nice little article in Motorcyclist this month, entitled "Touring California on a 2012 Ural Sidecar | Side By Side"... which, a page into it mentions this little gem:

Quote:
After a quick breakfast at Alice’s, we drop down Highway 236 into Big Basin Redwoods State Park for a little off-road exploring.
but... isn't all of Big Basin Redwoods State Park closed to all vehicles? did the magazine get special permission to ride/drive on the fire roads? or are they just romanticizing China Grade into something that sounds more like two track
Quote:
...and we head down a neglected two-track in search of an off-the-beaten-path rest stop.
... than the badly paved goat path that it is?

why do they get all the fun? us locals want to ride those roads too!

Old 03-14-2013, 12:59 AM   #3791
HardWorkingDog
Harvey Mushman

Oddometer: 1,702
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaia View Post

Sounds like some fanciful editor may have tweaked things a bit.

But, I've been feeling kinda guilty lately for not riding enough. Anyone see the new aerostich catalog? Andy's come up with a new riding-more prod...he's mapped the US according to how many potential rideable days there are in each city/region based on min/max temps., or something close to that. I dunno, he lives in Minnesota, right?

Anyway, there's only ONE* region that gets the rubric of 365 rideable days/year.

And----------it's here.

gotta ride more...

*....uhhh, in the continental US, that is

Next Trip: Divide & Conquer...

"it's a dog's life.............and I love it"

HardWorkingDog screwed with this post 03-14-2013 at 04:41 PM Reason: I'm an ass.......terisk
HardWorkingDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 01:07 AM   #3792
ian408
Oh?

Oddometer: 14,143
Quote:

but... isn't all of Big Basin Redwoods State Park closed to all vehicles? did the magazine get special permission to ride/drive on the fire roads? or are they just romanticizing China Grade into something that sounds more like two track
I would hope they'd qualify anything like that with "we got permission" or some such

You can ride/drive through the park. But as far as I know, there are no off-road tracks (unless you count the turn at hwy 9 as "going off-road" which you might easily do). There are definitely places it feels like two track. Especially with oncoming traffic
ian408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 01:19 AM   #3793
LexTalionis
Inciteful

Oddometer: 435
Quote:
there's a nice little article in Motorcyclist this month, entitled "Touring California on a 2012 Ural Sidecar | Side By Side"... which, a page into it mentions this little gem:

... than the badly paved goat path that it is?

This. I've ridden all the legal roadways in that area with a park ranger (for San Jose) who lives a few miles from the park, and there are no dirt roads legally passable by the public.

Lex
Old 03-14-2013, 01:52 AM   #3794
kaia
team F5 ⌘R

Oddometer: 1,955
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexTalionis View Post
This. I've ridden all the legal roadways in that area with a park ranger (for San Jose) who lives a few miles from the park, and there are no dirt roads legally passable by the public.

Lex
i totally want to write them and call them on it. it disheartens me to read such nonsense in something that's supposed to be about the soul of being a motorcyclist. makes me wonder how much of the rest of the writing is similar cruft.
Old 03-14-2013, 08:21 AM   #3795
ian408
Oh?

Oddometer: 14,143
Quote:
i totally want to write them and call them on it. it disheartens me to read such nonsense in something that's supposed to be about the soul of being a motorcyclist. makes me wonder how much of the rest of the writing is similar cruft.
You should.
ian408 is offline   Reply With Quote