Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-12-2013, 09:10 AM   #4546
wah64apache
Older Than Dirt

Oddometer: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJS View Post
You might want to give LA Sleeve a call about a piston. They do a lot of custom stuff so can probably set you up.
Thanks MJS. I am also looking at the 105mm kit from CT Racing that uses a JE forged piston also. It will take the engine out to 720cc I believe. But the issue is it will require a re-sleeve of the cylinder with another, bigger Nikasil sleeve.
Millenium technologies can do that. It won't be cheap and I don't know if I can find anyone to re-flash the ECU with appropriate fuel maps. I'm a Luddite when it comes to computers. The DS 650 was carbureted so it was something they could do easily with jetting. Ours aren't so easy.
Bottom line, if I can fit the standard bore JE piston with 11.5 then that is what is going in. I don't want another cast piston. I'll do what I can once I know how close these two pistons were in compression height to minimize the impact if it is higher with pockets.
Cheers, Frank
wah64apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:13 AM   #4547
wah64apache
Older Than Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by magno View Post
Porsche 944 turbo pistons are that diameter. They are pocketed so not sure if they're any use.
I took a look Magno but no dice the bore is the only thing remotely close to our piston. Thanks for the info anyway.
Cheers, Frank
Old 03-13-2013, 04:26 PM   #4548
jabroka
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 338
Introduction

Hey guys..

I've been reading this thread for some time now so I figured I'd just introduce myself. I'm not yet an XC owner but I'll be in a few days.

Just sold my 'ole trusty DR 800 to a friend and on Sat I'm picking up a XC from another .

It has some farkles.. excel rims, some TT protection accesories, LV exhaust and ohlins shock . 25k km on the odo

Got it for 13k USD (I know it sounds expensive to some, but bikes are really expensive down here, sold my 92 DR for almost 7k.. go figure )

Anyway, enough "talking" here're a couple of pics:

jabroka screwed with this post 03-13-2013 at 04:53 PM
jabroka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 05:44 PM   #4549
Royal Tiger
Pz VI B, Sd Kfz 182

Oddometer: 1,381
Love the colors on it!!! Congrats.
Old 03-13-2013, 09:36 PM   #4550
baldbeemer
BALD IS BEAUTIFUL

Oddometer: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by wah64apache View Post
I took a look Magno but no dice the bore is the only thing remotely close to our piston. Thanks for the info anyway.
Cheers, Frank
Try Ron Woods Racing....

http://rotax.net/
baldbeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 12:07 AM   #4551
pampaX
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 406
Hola che, linda moto yo tengo otra son muy buenas me hubiese gustado tener una moto asi cuando estaba por alla en fin. Que la disfrutes. De que lugar son las fotos?

I agree with bike prices down there, I sold a Transalp '94 and bought a BMW GSD650 over here for the same money

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabroka View Post
Hey guys..

I've been reading this thread for some time now so I figured I'd just introduce myself. I'm not yet an XC owner but I'll be in a few days.

Just sold my 'ole trusty DR 800 to a friend and on Sat I'm picking up a XC from another .

It has some farkles.. excel rims, some TT protection accesories, LV exhaust and ohlins shock . 25k km on the odo

Got it for 13k USD (I know it sounds expensive to some, but bikes are really expensive down here, sold my 92 DR for almost 7k.. go figure )

Anyway, enough "talking" here're a couple of pics:

My G650X Challenge, Bike build thread on
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...7#post15320987
pampaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 08:35 AM   #4552
wah64apache
Older Than Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldbeemer View Post
Try Ron Woods Racing....

Will do. Thanks for the recommendation. Cheers, Frank
Old 03-15-2013, 06:07 PM   #4553
mtncrawler
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,045
Fork Seals

Unless I've totally botched the search - I've found quite a bit of information and vids on changing fork seals and the BMW numbers (dam expensive..). Figured I'd ask and confirm if others have done aftermarket seals - like RaceTech or the like.

I found RT's available through RT site and Rocky Mountain ATV.
FZOS 45P (Seals)
FZDS 45P (Dust seals/wipers)

Can anyone confirm through their own installation/purchase (they should be correct) these P/N's? Any other sources P/N's to consider?

Going to give the fork service and Hyperpro progressive spring install next week.

Until then....

Thanks all..
"You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us." Robert Louis Stevenson

mtncrawler screwed with this post 03-15-2013 at 06:19 PM
mtncrawler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 09:01 PM   #4554
wah64apache
Older Than Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldbeemer View Post
Try Ron Woods Racing....

Baldbeemer, after spending some time with a machinist friend of mine, I called JE Pistons with the figures we compiled. The 100mm JE piston is a drop in. The bore and stroke of the DS 650 ATV Rotax engine and the G650X engines is the same; the piston pin diameter is the same and the compression height of the piston is the same. So I ordered the JE forged piston kit from an ATV outfit I have done business with in the past. Once I get it and make sure all is well with the cams then I will do some measurements of valve lift clearance from the piston. Crower cams makes a set of cams for the G650X series, so I may just put a pair of their cams in while I have it apart.
Cheers, Frank
Old 03-16-2013, 09:06 PM   #4555
wah64apache
Older Than Dirt

[QUOTE=mtncrawler;20957452]Unless I've totally botched the search - I've found quite a bit of information and vids on changing fork seals and the BMW numbers (dam expensive..

Is that a bedroom you're working in mtncrawler? or a nice garage with ceramic tile on the floor and windows! I once rebuilt a triumph twin engine on my kitchen table while in college.
Old 03-17-2013, 06:52 AM   #4556
jjmead1
now THAT"S a bike!

Oddometer: 504
A little help for the mechanically challenged if you would please...

Doing a little Airbox work yesterday and I noticed the right front has two filters which lead to a hose. This hose is cracked off its fitting. SO I was wondering what this is and what it does? It is located almost opposite the drain hose.

From the Fiche ( Max BMW ) it is the hose #9 from the fiche labelled 13_1213 - INTAKE MUFFLER, MOUNTING PARTS.

Can't tell you how long it has been broken but the bike runs very well.

Second part of this is...as it is broken flush from the plastic box is there any problem with threading a fitting into the lower portion of the plastic box and securing the hose. I will of course make sure it is leak proof, but being it is a gapping hole now anything must be better.
jjmead1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 07:59 AM   #4557
baldbeemer
BALD IS BEAUTIFUL

Oddometer: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by wah64apache View Post
Baldbeemer, after spending some time with a machinist friend of mine, I called JE Pistons with the figures we compiled. The 100mm JE piston is a drop in. The bore and stroke of the DS 650 ATV Rotax engine and the G650X engines is the same; the piston pin diameter is the same and the compression height of the piston is the same. So I ordered the JE forged piston kit from an ATV outfit I have done business with in the past. Once I get it and make sure all is well with the cams then I will do some measurements of valve lift clearance from the piston. Crower cams makes a set of cams for the G650X series, so I may just put a pair of their cams in while I have it apart.
Cheers, Frank
Excellent, glad you got it sorted out.
baldbeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 09:12 AM   #4558
imeny
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
I changed my fork seals last month, and I was following by this great video of Johnny on youtube.

Thanks all..[/QUOTE]
imeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 12:52 PM   #4559
The Jester
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 758
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjmead1 View Post
A little help for the mechanically challenged if you would please...

Doing a little Airbox work yesterday and I noticed the right front has two filters which lead to a hose. This hose is cracked off its fitting. SO I was wondering what this is and what it does? It is located almost opposite the drain hose.

From the Fiche ( Max BMW ) it is the hose #9 from the fiche labelled 13_1213 - INTAKE MUFFLER, MOUNTING PARTS.

Can't tell you how long it has been broken but the bike runs very well.

Second part of this is...as it is broken flush from the plastic box is there any problem with threading a fitting into the lower portion of the plastic box and securing the hose. I will of course make sure it is leak proof, but being it is a gapping hole now anything must be better.
If you follow the hose it goes down to the engine - it is a crankcase breather. The plastic spigot on mine also snapped off the airbox. I used a bit of clear pipe which was a tight fit shoved into the hole in the airbox and inside the rubber hose. No problems since.

The Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 05:38 AM   #4560
kito
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 255
realy somthing on an x challenge would break ??????
kito is offline   Reply With Quote