User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-13-2013, 11:55 PM   #421
JMo (& piglet) OP
Dakar Dazed

Oddometer: 3,019
Quick update:

Ned has lodged a[nother] protest this morning to find out how this anomaly occurred, as it is clear from his stage timing that someone (either at the CP or the post race data input) has made a mistake - the obvious suggestion is that since Ned was right up the front and very early the CP2 and instead of them writing let's say 11.30 for example, the time may have been written down as 1.30 by mistake... or that post race, the data inputter either misread the time sheet, or was simply used to typing results closer to 1pm when the majority of riders came through...

Fingers crossed it is sorted soon - although it is unlikely to be confirmed before the start of SS6 this morning (in about one hour from now), so Ned is going to try and get reseeded with a smile at the start, as currently he will be starting 47th, with a lot of bikes between him and the fast guys...

Although he has a margin of 6 minutes over the race leader (if his time is restored), there is all to play for in this penultimate day in the dunes...

I will keep on top of it for you!

GO NED!

Jx
JMo (& piglet) is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 12:16 AM   #422
tehdutchie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,646
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodovitch View Post
I seem to recall that time keeping on the rally, is, erm, a bit "casual", as in Specials are timed in minutes but not in seconds. Are there sensors at the end of specials, like at the ASSes of FIM rally and enduro events? Or is time keeping over there basically someone with a wrist watch, a pen and a clipboard?
Pen and clipboard. All done very casual. This is an amateur event after all.

Keep in mind that there org consists of volunteers on their weeks holiday in the sand.

Misstakes are easily made, like Jenny put it, some hand writing might be hard to read etc etc.

Let's wait and see. In the mean time, "Go Kim de Rycker!"
Old 03-14-2013, 12:39 AM   #423
Brodovitch
Team ⌘R

Oddometer: 3,171
Quote:
Originally Posted by tehdutchie View Post
Pen and clipboard. All done very casual. This is an amateur event after all.

Keep in mind that there org consists of volunteers on their weeks holiday in the sand.

Misstakes are easily made, like Jenny put it, some hand writing might be hard to read etc etc.

Let's wait and see. In the mean time, "Go Kim de Rycker!"
Aaaarghhh. As I keep telling people, "take pictures of your time card with your mobile phone every day before handing it in". I got slapped with a non-existent 4 hour penalty in Albania because some 17 year old orga volunteer forgot to transcribe my time form the card to the results sheet.

Hope everyone has a fun & safe last day today, bummer about Guillaume's injury, this rally must be a bit frustrating for him after the Africa Race result.
Old 03-14-2013, 12:48 AM   #424
ktmmitch
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 438
Wesley Beane,words & pictures.

Now we have returned to the UK,I have had tiime to speak to Deborah,Wes's partner & her family, regarding the tragic & untimely death of our friend Wesley.

Wesley went to the event with the intention of winning,as he was leading last year when he crashed and broke his collarbone.To Wes,every event was possible to win,as his talents on a motorcycle shone through in every discipline.

Since starting out as a young boy,urged on by his parents,Don & Michelle,along with his grandparents Bert & Sylvia,who always attended many events,he progreesed through the local & national trials scene in the UK to become British A Class champion( 16 year old).

He then went on to win many Centre events,in his own determined fashion,never taking the easy option,or even other's advice.

His mother Michelle was a regular trials rider,who unfortunately died when Wes was 13 years old.Whilst his father,Don,was a talented trials & enduro rider,and rode in ISDT and supported KTM team in late 70's.He continued to ride regularly up until his death at the Alto Turia Rallye in Spain in 2002,at the age of 62 years.

I rode with Don at a few events,in Ireland,with TORC Enduro Club,and had some great times there.
After winning many trials as a teenager,Wes moved on to 4WD events,and again climbed up the ranks to succeed at a very high level.,alongside learning to shoot clay's,again to a high standard.His ability to shut out external interruptions(which often meant friends comments or suggestions) and his focus on learning a new technique,meant he seemed to quickly master anything he tried.

After Don's death,Wes inherited Don's KTM 400 and turned his hand to enduro's,which again,he mastered using his fabulous trials technique,and progressed rapidly to Expert.We had many good times at Welsh 2-Day & Natterjack Enduro's,and his determination to win was always present,and his demeanor could be frustrating at times,but also a cause for amusement to others.

After I had done a couple of Tuareg Rallies,Wes bought an LC640 Adventure and came to the Tuareg,and again,quickly mastered the whole roadbook/navigation technique.His riding in the dunes was a pleasure to watch,with his trials background,he made it look effortless.

Over the next couple of years,we developed the KTM 690 Enduro into a Rally machine,and this started the Rally-Raid Products business,which has flourished,using many of his ideas.

Wes,aka Beaney,to the ADV Rider fraternity,was a wealth of knowledge on the 690,spending many hours with EFI software,but that was him,he would grab any new subject,and commit totally to it until he had mastered it.Which at times could be frustrating to others around him,but that was Wes.......

I spoke with Deb yesterday,and although Wes's accident was that,a tragic racing accident,it will be very difficult to come to terms with,but for Wes winning was everything,and every metre counted.

After loosing another of our close friends and riding partner,Gordon MacPherson,recently on Heroes Legend,it has become very difficult to assess things,regarding the whole rally scene,we all know the risks when we enter these events,and I am sure that these same riders,from all around the world,who we meet at these events,are also the ones who we shall turn to for support,as we are all friends in sport............

I shall leave the thread back to others now,but here are a few pictures of Wes's background.....

Wesley's Mum at local trial 1960's
Wes riding his dad's KTM 400 at Welsh 2-Day Enduro( I still have that bike)

Styling it at Tuareg in Morocco 2012

Team Brown at Tuareg Rallye 2012

John Mitchinsom,Wesley Beane & George Dennison at Tuareg 2013

Wesley,his last day,focused as ever,out for the win............

Our thoughts are with Deb and her family,along with his grandparents Bert and Sylvia.
Old 03-14-2013, 12:53 AM   #425
E-Ticket2
E-Ticket

Oddometer: 116
Great post and insight on the man, sir ... thank you for sharing.

- ET

Mine: '12 KTM 350 EXC-F; '99 Honda VFR 800i Interceptor
Wife: '08 KTM 250 XCF-W; '04 Honda CBR600 F4i
E-Ticket2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 01:11 AM   #426
Brodovitch
Team ⌘R

Oddometer: 3,171
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Ticket2 View Post
Great post and insight on the man, sir ... thank you for sharing.

- ET
Ι'll second that, and add my thanks for taking the time and sharing.

I don't think there is anyone who enters a race and doesn't compete to achieve a target. It may not be for the overall,
but at least to gauge their ability. Otherwise we might as well call them friendly adventure tour get-togethers.

Nothing but respect for Wesley and sadness for his death.

RIP
Old 03-14-2013, 01:14 AM   #427
gnuttis
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
Thanks Ktmmitch for the post!
gnuttis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 02:11 AM   #428
Ski2bumps
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Wesley

ktmmitch and Jenny thanks for you posts. Also my sincere condoleances to Wesley's wife and family and all his friends.
Ski2bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 03:36 AM   #429
JMo (& piglet) OP
Dakar Dazed

Ned-gate

"Private...in...vest...i...gation..."

So I've had a look at the official timing sheets, and you can clearly see the mistake that has been made:

If you look in the right hand section, in the 3rd sector (that relates to the time at CP3) you'll see they recorded he got to CP3 at 12.57... however, he then must have time-travelled backwards, since he started the fourth sector/CP4 at 11.34! (which ties in with his 'race to lunch' he described yesterday)...

Noone else has a finish time at CP3 that is later than their start at CP4 (obviously) - so either he is Marty McFly, or someone wrote/read '12' instead of '10' on the timing sheet (which would also be consistent with the other top riders, all of which took just 37-40 minutes to cover that section, as did Ned).

Fingers crossed they will make the necessary adjustments to the overall timing, even if they don't award him the stage win - which he did, 1 minute ahead of the posted winner, Kim De Rycker...

The good news is at least they re-seeded him at the start this morning from 47th to the 2nd row (riders set off in groups of four, 1 minute apart) - which will actually be to his advantage as he can keep an eye on the front pack while not having the responsibility of opening the stage...

Jx

JMo (& piglet) screwed with this post 03-14-2013 at 04:07 AM
Old 03-14-2013, 04:05 AM   #430
Deadly99
Fast and Far

Oddometer: 8,200
Schnitzel Gate

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)

Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Deadly99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 04:05 AM   #431
Flood
F5lood.

Oddometer: 10,161
Thank you, ktmmitch!

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Flood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 04:37 AM   #432
640 Armageddon
-oo-

Oddometer: 1,657
Thanks Ktmmitch for this excellent post... I remain speechless ...

Keep up the good work Jenny and thanks for keeping us updated regarding the progress of the Rally, I am sure the situation with Ned will be resolved ...

-o0-
D.
Old 03-14-2013, 05:03 AM   #433
JMo (& piglet) OP
Dakar Dazed

As I mention above, Ned got re-seeded to the second row, and started next to 5th place Carl Hagenblad - I have a great sequence of them racing off the line (will post shortly) - in the meantime, here is Ned just winning their sprint start!

Jx
Old 03-14-2013, 05:13 AM   #434
ThomasVolomitz
New Old Stock

Oddometer: 4,294
They may be in shock that an American is kicking butt. Would be excellent to have a Neduro/ ADV victory!

Still Riff Raff
ThomasVolomitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 05:32 AM   #435
tehdutchie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,646
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasVolomitz View Post
They may be in shock that an American is kicking butt. Would be excellent to have a Neduro/ ADV victory!
Indeed we are in shock of an American kicking butt

Do we need to clean up the mess left over after as well?