Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-03-2012, 06:10 AM   #121
datchew
Don't buy from Brad

Oddometer: 7,409
Keep it up Kev. Can't wait to see it come together.
The builds from the worst starting condition are the most satisfying.
datchew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 05:13 AM   #122
England-Kev OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,496
My Gearbox comes together...

England-Kev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:31 AM   #123
England-Kev OP
Beastly Adventurer

At the Sammy Miller Museum...

Just for reference and inspiration....
Old 12-01-2012, 02:22 PM   #124
England-Kev OP
Beastly Adventurer

A couple more recent reference shots from my travels...

Old 12-01-2012, 05:05 PM   #125
Scrivens
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 524
Trade you some dirty pics from the National Motor Museum:

1948 International, ridden in Dutch GP in 1950:

"Please do not clean this engine" 1937 ES2
Scrivens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 09:28 AM   #126
England-Kev OP
Beastly Adventurer

A few people have asked me how I am coming along with the Norton project, so I thought I would take some pictures today, and give a little update...

As of now I am still pulling parts together, to build the motor, I now have a most of the bottom end, plus a barrel, and a 350cc head, that has been machined to fit a 500, I have rockers and rocker cover, oil pump (x3), cams, etc, although I would like to find some late model 16H cams, for my bike, but they are proving hard to find.

The gearbox has been rebuilt, so is ready to fit, rear wheel is away to be built, still looking for a front hub, so as you can see I am getting there slowly, but then no one said it was a race.

Old 01-13-2013, 04:00 AM   #127
England-Kev OP
Beastly Adventurer

A couple of links for those who are interested in the whole Norton vibe...

http://www.pushrod-performance.co.uk/index.htm

and...

http://www.racingvincent.co.uk/

Old 03-14-2013, 12:14 PM   #128
England-Kev OP
Beastly Adventurer

A little update of sorts...

Just a quick update to show you I am still fettling the old girl...

I have just managed to get a nice late model, 350cc alloy head, this will be opened up for use on the 500, with new valves etc. this will be used in combination with a BSA B50 high comp piston, and a set of custom profiled high lift valves, to give it all a little omph!

My rear wheel has been built around a 19" flanged alloy rim, with stainless spokes, and will wear a 4-00 x 19 tyre. And today I picked up a 21" front wheel with twin leading brake, just to get me moving while I look to find a conical front hub.

My frame is about to go into the shop to have some brackets welded on, so that I can move the brake pedal and foot rests back a piece, and fit some rear sets on the gear change side.

Old 03-14-2013, 02:55 PM   #129
Bobmws
Curmudgeon At Large

Oddometer: 1,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by England-Kev View Post
Just a quick update to show you I am still fettling the old girl...

Are you allowed to say that here?!
www.earplugco.com
Bobmws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 09:02 AM   #130
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,429
Kev, I hope you cleaned it out better than that before you buttoned it up! Yikes!

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 01:16 PM   #131
England-Kev OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhead Wrangler View Post
Kev, I hope you cleaned it out better than that before you buttoned it up! Yikes!
No need to worry, I had it all cleaned up before bolting it up! I was just grabbing a few shots before my hands got too messy

Today has been a Norton day again, cleaned up all the threads on the new alloy head, then I managed to get hold of a late model rocker box assembly, and bolted that all together ready to go off to the vapour blaster this week. Then it can have the machining done to fit a 500 barrel, and a new set of racing valve guides and valves fitted. I will also have the inlet tract polished up a bit too.
Old 03-24-2013, 09:30 AM   #132
England-Kev OP
Beastly Adventurer

I picked up a couple of bits for the Norton on Saturday at the Kempton bike jumble, one of the parts was the front fork brace and mudguard support, I found it in a box of old junk, and it cost me just 2.00 or $3.00 for the colonials out there.

So today I thought I should just check to see how it all fits together, this is not the wheel I will be using, as that is yet to be built, but it is a 21" wheel so is right for testing.

Old 03-24-2013, 11:40 AM   #133
England-Kev OP
Beastly Adventurer

My next job is to convert this old damaged Triumph conical hub into a Manx style single leading shoe race hub, and although it won't be correct in every detail, it will be close enough to give the look I am after.

First job is to remove all the fins from the outer edge, luckily this one was already damaged in this area, this may have helped in me getting it cheaply off of the Bay..

Then it will be away to be powder coated black, before I start to convert a Norton brake plate to fit...
Old 03-27-2013, 02:40 PM   #134
England-Kev OP
Beastly Adventurer

My hub now stripped of the vanes, was today tidied up on a lathe ready for the next part of the operation, this is to have made and installed a set of cooling fins just like you would have on a manx or inter, but it is not as easy as that, as you will see.

The first problem that you have to overcome, is leaving room to insert the spokes, and to make it look somewhere near "right" you will need at least two fins, but you only have 16mm to play with on the hub.
So let's see what I am talking about...

Well first we need to go and find some bikes, that have the correct hubs fitted, now that may be a little tricky in your neck of the woods, but for me, I just pop up the road....

So here is am International hub, as fitted to the Garden gate Inter above...

Three fins, tapered hub, and crossover spoke pattern, I can't afford one of these, even in the rare chance of one ever coming up for sale.

And here is the Inter brake plate, single leading shoe, small air scoop, just the look I am after, but I will have to make my own, out of a standard Norton SLS brake plate.

Next up we have a Manx front wheel, two fins, tapered hub, do you notice how none of the spoke rims are braced? and don't forget, these are full on racing hubs, with all the stresses that involves.

And here is the brake plate on the Manx, pretty much the same design as the Inter plate, but with a bigger scoop, and twin leading shoe.

Which brings us to the Triumph/BSA conical hub like my one... here then is a converted hub, this is how mine should look when finished I hope, although I won't be having the cafe racer holes drilled. As it happens, this is also on a Norton racer, this time though it is a Dommiracer.

It also has a genuine TLS brake plate fitted.

Old 04-02-2013, 12:51 PM   #135
England-Kev OP
Beastly Adventurer

Did I mention I found a head and rocker assembly? No! well I have, they both need a little work, as is the way of buying parts no one else wants :laugh but fixing aint so hard if you know what to do and where to go.
First thing is to get it all clean, to see what needs fixin, so a trip over Easter to the vapour blaster soon had something I could work with. First was the rocker cover, this had a broken stud hole, and a hole through the box, looks like someone got a bit too keen with a vice while doing something, and cracked the cover. So a trip to my local alloy welder soon had it all back good as new, and for no charge too

Next is to send the head away to have valve guides and valves fitted, I may even have it ported too, I also need to open it up to accept a 500 barrel, as this head is from a late model 350. All good fun.
Here they are sitting on the bike, I just need to find a barrel now, an alloy competition barrel would be nice, but any 500 barrel would be great if I can find one.