ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-14-2013, 04:36 PM   #31
frdbronco8
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 241
I have never had the oppertunity to do it but it would make me pretty nervous riding between cars. I think riding on a shoulder makes alot mroe sense because you would have somewhere to go if someone did something stupid. I am all for the bill though.

Another consideration is the rider sitting for hours in hot weather motionless wearing protective gear or sitting in wet/cold weather. Both good reasons to let a bike move and not sit in car traffic.

frdbronco8 screwed with this post 03-14-2013 at 04:42 PM
frdbronco8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 05:10 PM   #32
SF_Hooligan
Deadwood Original

Oddometer: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by frdbronco8 View Post
I have never had the oppertunity to do it but it would make me pretty nervous riding between cars. I think riding on a shoulder makes alot mroe sense because you would have somewhere to go if someone did something stupid. I am all for the bill though.

Another consideration is the rider sitting for hours in hot weather motionless wearing protective gear or sitting in wet/cold weather. Both good reasons to let a bike move and not sit in car traffic.
Too much crap on the shoulder. I can directly correlate the two flats I had this winter to riding on the shoulder. I've been splitting for 25 years - you get over the nervousness. In fact, I have to remember to be nervous so I don't ride like an ass when splitting.
SF_Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 05:14 PM   #33
MortimerSickle
Semi-Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,742
Quote:
Originally Posted by SF_Hooligan View Post
Too much crap on the shoulder.
+1

I try to never ride anypavedwhere that doesn't get much traffic.

I miss round headlights.

"When I was a young man, I liked to race my horse...." -
G.H.W.S. 1878-1962
MortimerSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 07:39 AM   #34
SF_Hooligan
Deadwood Original

Quote:
Originally Posted by MortimerSickle View Post
+1

I try to never ride anypavedwhere that doesn't get much traffic.
Yeah - the shoulders and those dead areas in the pointy parts of onramps and such here in California are like minefields.
Old 03-15-2013, 08:09 AM   #35
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless

Oddometer: 2,090
Definitely too much crap there.

They're right... going between cars gets easy after a little while. I started riding only three years ago (in LA too), and remember my first times splitting. Definitely nervous at first. But as soon as you see just how much faster you can get places, especially by filtering to the front of traffic lights, the nervousness goes away.

A few days ago up here in Oregon, I did a little splitting because traffic was too damn slow. I slipped to the right of a long line of cars waiting to turn right, at a turn that is always way slow (because people are morons). Then to the next left turn, same thing. It's a left turn that you can turn left on red (onto a one-way street) and people will sit there with their head up their ass, so I slipped by, stopped at the front, and went. I'm not sure anybody even noticed I was ever there. Saved easily ten minutes.

Rob
'10 Kawasaki KLX351S #320
Rob.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 08:17 PM   #36
SF_Hooligan
Deadwood Original

Rob G, here's another bit from the CHP that may help in your efforts - lane splitting PSA video.

Old 03-24-2013, 06:54 PM   #37
NoPoChicken
CSMC

Oddometer: 1,077
I got this in an e-mail e-mail from a friend who gave me permission to post it here. From what I understand, we are only talking about filtering to the front of stopped traffic which is common in most other countries. The letters need to go out tomorrow, if you are interested in copies of the letters, pm me your e-mail address and I will forward them to you. Easy-peasy.

If you're in favor of lane-splitting becoming legal in Oregon, here's a quick project for you! There's currently a Bill in the Oregon House of Representatives to legalize one form of lane-sharing (specifically, filtering to the front of stopped traffic). It's HB3310: http://www.leg.state.or.us/13reg/mea...3310.intro.pdf

The Representatives must choose to schedule this Bill for a public hearing by April 8th or else it dies (along with all other Bills not set for hearing). The only way it will get a hearing is if we all write to the Oregon Representatives who are on the Transportation Committee and ask that they schedule the Bill for a hearing.

LUCKILY we've done that for you! Attached are 6 copies of the same letter, each addressed to a different member of the House transportation committee. Would you kindly help out TODAY by following these easy steps:

1. Print ALL 6 letters
2. Sign ALL 6 letters
3. Below your signature legibly print your name and address (so they know you're a real person)
4. If you'd like, add a hand written message supporting lane-sharing
5. Mail all six ASAP to the addresses listed at the top of each letter (note, they are DIFFERENT)

Altogether this should take no more than 10 mins and the cost of 6 stamps. Hope you can help and get these in the mail ASAP (time is of the essence). Everyone's letters REALLY help!
Old 03-26-2013, 09:32 AM   #38
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless

Oddometer: 2,090
Okay, silly question... either I'm blind, or, where are those letters we need to print and send?

Rob
'10 Kawasaki KLX351S #320
Rob.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 12:41 PM   #39
Salt Lick
Weissbiermann

Oddometer: 990
NoPoChicken says to PM him with your email.
Salt Lick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 04:20 PM   #40
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,437
I learned to ride in the third world. Lane splitting meant survival over there, size mattered over there. Here lanes are so much wider, traffic is so much more respectful of motorcycles. This here is paradise for lane splitting. Safe lane splitting.

BTW on the video on the first page of this thread, the door opening did not seem to me it was on purpose. Check the trunk lid of the car. It either came open and the driver wanted to close it or he had opened it and was getting out of the car to get something from the trunk. Much more dangerous are bicyclists riding past parked cars, they will open doors without looking.

I'd rather be riding!

Lion BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 04:35 PM   #41
Jungle Man
frenzied adventurer

Oddometer: 377
I hope it passes; If anything it's one more freedom, you don't have to split lanes if it feels dangerous or uncomfortable but there have been many times where it would have been a nice option.
"If you're too busy to hunt and fish, you're too busy"
Jase-Duck Dynasty
Jungle Man is offline   Reply With Quote