Tork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 05:30 PM   #482
Deadly99
Fast and Far

Oddometer: 8,760
Fun fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMo (& piglet) View Post
While we wait for the final decision on Scnitzelgate, more ADV inmate drama happened over at the RMS/IYSK Wine team truck today...

Charlie Rauseo (Lastplace) has been having a ball all week, despite a series of problems with his aged XR650R - a lack of coolant (on more than one occasion), a cowl mounting bolt wearing a hole in one of the radiators through vibration, and perhaps most impressively, a cracked rear caliper mount that finally gave way halfway through a stage, forcing him to enjoy a ride on the sweeper truck...

Charlie is doing all his own maintenance himself, and managed to find an assistance team that could weld aluminium from the back of their truck... The caliper duely fixed, he of course had not brought any spare rear brake pads with him, and with Nissin calipers being so rare in a sea of [KTM] Brembos around the bivouac, meant he had no other option other than to fashion some that would fit his bike out of a pair of KTM690 pads, and judicious use of an angle grinder...

Glad to see Charlie in fully protective work wear!

Anyway, with the bike duly fixed, he continued to have overheating issues and could feel a distinct lack of compression in the engine... sadly today (stage 6) the Big Ol' Pig finally cried no more, and Charlie had to retire from the stage with a broken engine.

However, all is not lost!

In fit of generosity if not downright foolhardiness - Patsy Quick from Desert Rose Racing has offered Charlie her 'spare' KTM that was in the back of the wagon, so that he can ride the last day and finish the event!

The final stage is a short (but I imagine tricky and almost certainly soft) dune stage of 60 kms for the Profi Motos, and only 45 kms for the Amateurs... However, a maximum time limit for the stage of 3 hours is perhaps telling as to the severity of the terrain they will encounter...

It ain't over yet!

(not until Rammstein 'sings' and the fat lady strips...)

Jx

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)

Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Deadly99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 06:51 PM   #483
bobzilla
Dirty Old Man

Oddometer: 875
Go Charlie !
01 DR Frankenbike 650
76 CB750
bobzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 06:55 PM   #484
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,998
Briliant story about Charlie! GO BOY!!!

fun fun!!
Bluebull2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 09:03 PM   #485
Robb Mc
what?

Oddometer: 1,573
Quote:

Glad to see Charlie in fully protective work wear!
He's getting soft in his old age! Eye protection? Wimp.
Robb Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 10:25 PM   #486
Sparrowhawk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,947
Anybody see any orange UFOs in Tunisia?

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...php?p=20948428

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
Sparrowhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 10:43 PM   #487
Brodovitch
Team ⌘R

Oddometer: 3,171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand View Post
I just found it surprising being the orga was German. Stereotypically known for fastidiousness. This seemed more Italian

I know some fast Italians that won't go near the Tuareg (yeah, they have raced it before) , but I get the intent of your analogy

Saying that, the Italian MotoRally championship is a very tight ship compared to this one.

Jenny, we are not worthy. Great stories!
Old 03-14-2013, 10:54 PM   #488
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,743
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned's Facebook
Timing snafu sorted. 2nd overall for the race going into the final day.
I used to say "one day" a lot. But then I got scared I would wait one day too long. So I am doing it all now
beechum1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 10:55 PM   #489
JMo (& piglet) OP
Dakar Dazed

Oddometer: 3,289
These are not the 450s you are looking for...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrowhawk View Post
Anybody see any orange UFOs in Tunisia?

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...php?p=20948428

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
They are well hidden in a truck parked in another hotel just around the corner...

So far no-one seems to have been able to catch a glimpse either in the carpark or out on the piste somewhere... although the rumour has been confirmed (they are testing the new, or at least a version of, the new 450 Rallye bike) - and Marc Coma is staying in the other hotel too.

Jx
JMo (& piglet) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 11:51 PM   #490
JMo (& piglet) OP
Dakar Dazed

Nail-biting finish for the final day!

Great News!

I've just spoken to Ned (initially from the other side of his bathroom door!), and after his personal negotiation with the rally director early this morning, Ned has finally had his actual time for Stage 5 confirmed - he physically had to go through the stack of timing sheets and found the written entry from the CP in question entry.

The good news is the 2h37m he was initially awarded was completely wrong, and once the actual number had been entered into the scoring, and it transpires that in a reversal of my original calculations, it turns out he missed the Stage 5 win by just one minute (he said to me on the day that he thought it was going to be tight!) to Kim De Rycker...

However, the upshot of all this is it means Ned now goes into the final stage (due to start in approximately 1 hour from now) in

SECOND POSITION OVERALL!

More importantly, while he is 30 minutes behind race leader Mark Smits [so unlikely to take the win overall], he has a comfortable margin on the third place rider (Kim De Rycker) of 51 minutes!

The final stage is a short 60 km loop through the soft dunes south of Douz, and includes a ‘lake crossing’ (that is typically around a foot deep) - just to spice things up a little!

Ned will be starting on the second row again today (after his 5th place Stage 6 result yesterday), so at least he should be able to stay ahead of any potential mayhem once the lake bed starts to get cut up below the water...

Ned is intending to ride a clean ride today - not push too hard [thanks to a reasonable margin over third, and realistically too far behind the race leader who is also an utter master in the sand], but at the same time he is conscious there is everything to play for, and a lot to lose today.

Results as soon as I have them!

GO NED!

Jx

JMo (& piglet) screwed with this post 03-15-2013 at 12:02 AM
Old 03-15-2013, 12:51 AM   #491
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,120
Go Ned!

NordieBoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 01:51 AM   #492
italrally
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 495
Quote:
They are well hidden in a truck parked in another hotel just around the corner...

So far no-one seems to have been able to catch a glimpse either in the carpark or out on the piste somewhere... although the rumour has been confirmed (they are testing the new, or at least a version of, the new 450 Rallye bike) - and Marc Coma is staying in the other hotel too.

Jx
Ha, that could be the picture of the year 2013 in the rally scenery
But i think they are testing at night, because first presentation of the new KTM rally bike will be on the EICMA show in Milan in november !
But hopefully you are a lucky photographer...
Old 03-15-2013, 04:17 AM   #493
HellasRally
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 127
Timi finished the race just a while ago.
Her engine consumed 3lt of water and some gasoline to do it, but she did not quit. She did it to the finish in her first desert rally like all real men do.
She is in her 40s with 4 daughters and a very successful businesswoman.
And she started only few years ago.
You will not see her a lot on the internet participating in "opinion" marathons but you will find her riding or racing almost everything in the Balkan's area in the last 3 years with success.
After this race her and Vasilis Boudros are definitely the 2 most successful rally raiders in Greece and Timi the only Greek lady in racing with such a pal mares.
I am really happy that they belong to my "family" of racing people.
We only did minor things to get her going and she paid us back with this.
We are really proud.
HellasRally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 04:53 AM   #494
JMo (& piglet) OP
Dakar Dazed

Photos from final stage:

#97 Neduro at the start line:

#77 Hagenblad at the start line:

Jx
Old 03-15-2013, 05:08 AM   #495
JMo (& piglet) OP
Dakar Dazed

Woop! All my boys that started today are in!

#97 Ned Suesse - when I spoke to him on the line he'd been concerned about the navigation today, hoping he had made all the checks (and secret checks), as any time penalty today would throw his 2nd overall away...

#77 Carl Hagenblad and #107 George Dennison - they both receive a special award (ok, so it's a different coloured Tuareg Head patch to be honest) for finishing 3 Tuareg Rally's without any time penalties:

#116 Lukas Matzinger had another scorching day:

#75 Charlie Rauseo, was able to borrow a bike from Patsy Quick so he could finish the rally after his Big Red Pig expired yesterday...

#332 Ollie Lloyd out on the stage today:

#76 Mark Brincat - his KTM690RR is looking distinctly secondhand now, and his leg is killing him - but he's still smiling!

Those are my featured finishers (plus Carl and George), the results will follow after this afternoon's 'Dune Race' - basically a short special stage that is untimed, and does not count toward the rally time total, it's just for fun (and the cameras I'm sure). However, should any rider not make the start and finish (and presumably a secret checkpoint), then there will be a 4 hour time penalty awarded, which could really shake things up in the overall standings...

Despite a solid finish this morning, no wonder Ned is nervous - it still ain't over yet...

Right, lunch.

Jx

JMo (& piglet) screwed with this post 03-15-2013 at 03:32 PM