ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-15-2013, 12:13 PM   #7126
davek181
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Idaho
Oddometer: 804
Quote:
Originally Posted by m2h View Post
Am considering trying to add an oil cooler to my '86 while I have the motor out. Has anyone tried or heard of fitting a later model XR400 cooler? Don't really know the dimensions but read on Thumper Talk of one or two xl600 owners who have done it but gave no real description of how.
Wondering how much cooling it would provide as it don't look very big!
Read about using coolers from JC Whitney etc. but at 11" X 6" X 3/4" might be a mission to fit in.
Interesting discussion maybe?
I put an XR400 cooler on my XL600. I had to weld mounts on the steering head to hold it in place, and get a little creative with braided lines and AN fittings but it wasn't too horrible to do as I remember. If you are interested I can send pics and try to revive my memory as to the details. The biggest problem was the choice of fittings and layout, but it worked out once I started mounting things. It seemed impossible to do with the stainless braided lines till I discovered a tool to put the fittings on.

I have a temp dipstick and it seemed to drop my temps about 50 degrees on a hot summer day. There was also the advantage of extra oil capacity provided by the lines and cooler.
davek181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 05:11 PM   #7127
m2h
"Old guys rule"
 
m2h's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Location: Waipu New Zealand
Oddometer: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by crobox View Post
I added an oil cooler, which was a generic aftermarket unit. There are several posts about how and where I added it starting around post #146 (page 10) in my build thread. There is also a bit of discussion about how useful it is; who could benefit from one; who maybe doesn't need one.

Hope it helps a little.


-Christian
Thanks Christian Any help is much appreciated. This project has cost shitloads more than I anticipated (didn't envisiage a rebore etc) so I am looking to make the most of all the info you guys provide in this thread
M2H

PS, Just went thru your rebuild Christian Awsome job mate, a man after my own heart although I don't have the same resources

m2h screwed with this post 03-15-2013 at 07:12 PM
m2h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 05:21 PM   #7128
m2h
"Old guys rule"
 
m2h's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Location: Waipu New Zealand
Oddometer: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by davek181 View Post
I put an XR400 cooler on my XL600. I had to weld mounts on the steering head to hold it in place, and get a little creative with braided lines and AN fittings but it wasn't too horrible to do as I remember. If you are interested I can send pics and try to revive my memory as to the details. The biggest problem was the choice of fittings and layout, but it worked out once I started mounting things. It seemed impossible to do with the stainless braided lines till I discovered a tool to put the fittings on.

I have a temp dipstick and it seemed to drop my temps about 50 degrees on a hot summer day. There was also the advantage of extra oil capacity provided by the lines and cooler.
Thanks Dave, Would appreciate that very much. The xr400 cooler is about $96us on partzilla but i'll see if I can maybe get a used one here but am not holding my breath! I read that these bikes tend run pretty hot so any cooling has got to be good and as I replied to Christian this bike owes me big time.
Am having a ball doing the wrenching, just waiting on some gaskets b4 the final assembly.

M2H
m2h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 04:13 PM   #7129
joesm333
n00b
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Location: Wiltshire
Oddometer: 3
Back on the road again....ish

Hello all,

Well good new after some help from folk on here i manage to track down a new head for my xl600r to replace the one that had been repaired by PO with epoxy and had sprung a leak....shock horror haha.



Well after cleaning it up removing some sheared off studs and grinding the valves in it was all good to go again.....oh yeah new timing chain and stainless exhaust while i was at it too.



Then a few trips out on Salisbury Plain in the wet as we have had loads of rain here in blighty....flooded it once in one of those 'oh thats a bit deeper than i thought moments'.



So all well really the end......yeah right!!

I've started a new job in scotland so got my bike ready to come up.....long distance fuel tank from acrebis. Set off all going well despite being damn cold -7 cold for here anyway. About 50 miles in.....cough....oh what was that hummm. Then nothing so rolled to a stop on the side of the A417. Few things sadder than a bike on the hard shoulder.

http://joesm333.smugmug.com/Other/Mo...959077_J7n7B8z

So had a look about......oil everywhere. No compression. So from my limited knowledge of these things head gasket? Anyways after a bit of sorting got a lift/flight to work and the bike taken home. New gasket ordered will see how a i get on when i'm next reunited with my bike.

The only thing i can think is that head gasket failed as i refitted the old one (even though it had only done 500 miles) any pearls of wisdom greatly recived. Oh if anyone knows where you can get carb kits (prefereably in the uk) for these wonderful machines that would help too.

Keep it rubber side down,

Joe
joesm333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 05:24 PM   #7130
davek181
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Idaho
Oddometer: 804
Quote:
Originally Posted by m2h View Post
Thanks Dave, Would appreciate that very much. The xr400 cooler is about $96us on partzilla but i'll see if I can maybe get a used one here but am not holding my breath! I read that these bikes tend run pretty hot so any cooling has got to be good and as I replied to Christian this bike owes me big time.
Am having a ball doing the wrenching, just waiting on some gaskets b4 the final assembly.

M2H

It has been a long time since I installed it so it is a little fuzzy in my brain but I have refreshed my memory from old notes and observations of the install.

I test fitted for location then welded two 6mm nuts to the side of the oil tank for mounting the cooler. I welded a little shelf underneath it too copying the 400.

I had previously searched many posts and installs myself with hookups ranging from cutting off stock oil lines and using rubber hoses to fabricating new steel lines. I settled on AN fittings and hoses, kind of copying an install I found online using the same. It seemed more leakproof and durable and within my fabricating skills.

First I got the parts:
Oil tank: 16mm female adapter to 6 AN male, and a 45 degree hose end.

Left cooler: 16mm female adapter to 6 AN male, and a 90 degree low profile hose end.

Right cooler: 14mm female adapter to 6 AN male, and a 120 degree hose end.

Crankcase hose: 18mm male adapter to 8 AN male, an 8-6 AN reducer, and a straight hose end.

6’ of 6 AN hose.

Then I started fitting fittings and cutting hose and installing ends and routing hoses and such. I almost gave up the project over the difficulty and bleeding fingers resulting from trying to put AN fittings on the hoses. I discovered a tool, called Koul tool that made the task nearly effortless. I did have to reposition the oil tank breather hose by careful bending and reroute the hose from head to tank.

It took 2 fittings to get from 18mm original hose down to 8 AN, then down to 6 AN, to adapt to the hose and keep the whole thing one size hose.

Then a couple more fittings to adapt to the oil tank, then a short length of hose to the 120 degree and 14mm adapter to get onto the cooler'

The other side of the cooler required a 16mm adapter and a 90 to turn the hose around the front of the steering head and down to the original oil line.

I tried to put the captions under the respective pictures to make the read easier but was unable to comprehend how to do it so you are destined to do some scrolling.
davek181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 09:54 PM   #7131
crobox
Gnarly Adventurer
 
crobox's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Location: Taos, NM
Oddometer: 327
Dave-
Thanks for that last installment of "Carbs 101"... the bits about the pilot jet and air screw!
Carb knowledge growing daily!
Cheers,
Christian
__________________
Current Bikes: 2002 XR650L, 1988 Hondasuki KLNX250R
Previous Bikes: 1986 Honda XL600R,Honda XL250R (2 of them), Honda XL600R, Kawasaki KLR600, Honda Nighthawk, BMW K1100LT, BMW R100GS, BMW R60/6, BMW K75, Husqvarna 430XC
Click HERE for my Cummins 4BT International Scout build thread www.christianristow.com
crobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 10:32 PM   #7132
davek181
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Idaho
Oddometer: 804
Hey, no problem, glad to share what little knowledge I have. Just ask and I will explain what I can.

I wish I could soak up some of your fabrication skills so easily, but alas that can't be learned in a simple narrative.


Dave
davek181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 07:26 AM   #7133
skeptic
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: SoCal
Oddometer: 287
Banjo bolts

Quote:
Originally Posted by m2h View Post
Hi Guys, Anyone have any advice on opening up the dia of the banjo bolt holes to allow a bit more oil flo to the head? I don't think this would dramatically reduce flo to anywhere else and may add a little more cooling. As always its good to pick the forum brains
M2h
I just drilled them out to 1/8 inch.
I thought every little bit of increased flow helped.
__________________
Be skeptical and a critical thinker. Don't be fooled by fake patriots
skeptic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 07:44 AM   #7134
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer
 
mcma111's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: San Francisco,Ca.
Oddometer: 11,571
Christian,

Any pic's of the oil cooler mounts on the side of the frame? What did you use?
__________________
Steve in SF

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 06:14 PM   #7135
m2h
"Old guys rule"
 
m2h's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Location: Waipu New Zealand
Oddometer: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by davek181 View Post
It has been a long time since I installed it so it is a little fuzzy in my brain but I have refreshed my memory from old notes and observations of the install.

I test fitted for location then welded two 6mm nuts to the side of the oil tank for mounting the cooler. I welded a little shelf underneath it too copying the 400.

I had previously searched many posts and installs myself with hookups ranging from cutting off stock oil lines and using rubber hoses to fabricating new steel lines. I settled on AN fittings and hoses, kind of copying an install I found online using the same. It seemed more leakproof and durable and within my fabricating skills.

First I got the parts:
Oil tank: 16mm female adapter to 6 AN male, and a 45 degree hose end.

Left cooler: 16mm female adapter to 6 AN male, and a 90 degree low profile hose end.

Right cooler: 14mm female adapter to 6 AN male, and a 120 degree hose end.

Crankcase hose: 18mm male adapter to 8 AN male, an 8-6 AN reducer, and a straight hose end.

6 of 6 AN hose.

Then I started fitting fittings and cutting hose and installing ends and routing hoses and such. I almost gave up the project over the difficulty and bleeding fingers resulting from trying to put AN fittings on the hoses. I discovered a tool, called Koul tool that made the task nearly effortless. I did have to reposition the oil tank breather hose by careful bending and reroute the hose from head to tank.

It took 2 fittings to get from 18mm original hose down to 8 AN, then down to 6 AN, to adapt to the hose and keep the whole thing one size hose.

Then a couple more fittings to adapt to the oil tank, then a short length of hose to the 120 degree and 14mm adapter to get onto the cooler'

The other side of the cooler required a 16mm adapter and a 90 to turn the hose around the front of the steering head and down to the original oil line.

I tried to put the captions under the respective pictures to make the read easier but was unable to comprehend how to do it so you are destined to do some scrolling.
Thanks very much Dave good piks! Am looking for one now as it seems the easiest mod I've seen so far.
M2H
m2h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 06:24 PM   #7136
m2h
"Old guys rule"
 
m2h's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Location: Waipu New Zealand
Oddometer: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeptic View Post
I just drilled them out to 1/8 inch.
I thought every little bit of increased flow helped.
Thanks mate. Yeah I've just done that job, I don't know the pressure the oil pump delivers especially as it constricts to about 2mm thru the riser pipe and then empties into a 6mm hole to fill the gallery before the cam bearing. It's seems more of a flooding system than true pressure feed to me. Guess it works tho Happily!!
M2H
m2h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 10:51 PM   #7137
RFVC600R
SAND EATER!
 
RFVC600R's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Location: SAND LAND
Oddometer: 2,611
I got my gasket kit in today from Japan. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=140932160137 Its not OEM but it seems good quality. I'm going to get gasket paper and make copies of the paper ones so I will have those if/when another leak pops up. I'm figuring since this has all the gaskets, I might as well as change all the gaskets. I will not be spitting the cases since that gasket isn't leaking. I've also noticed lately that there is timing chain slap when the engine is cold. Shouldn't be any since the engine was rebuilt 5k miles ago then again it does leak pretty bad. It could be the tensioner, mistakes happen in rebuilds. but im getting a new timing chain just to be safe. Any recommendations?? I'm putting the bike down on the 27th and hopefully not long I'm trying to go in ready.

I also want to change the valve seals because the bike smokes very rarely and randomly on start up But I don't know anything about how to do that.... I'm reading up on it later but some XL600 specifics will be appreciated

What kind of gasket sealant should I use??

My surgery list
1.Gasket kit
2. Torque Wrench
3. Some kind of gasket sealant
4. copper coat
5. Timing chain
6 decompresser seals Thanks to Moparmanpete for showing me where to get them

Anything else?? ANY input will be great as this will be my first time doing this.

I bought a new electric impact wrench when I changed my fork seals, I've only used a couple times and im itching to use it for dis-assembly
__________________
'83 Honda XL600R 618cc 11:1 Wiseco, XR's Only Exhaust, big tube header, 6 Sigma stage 3 carb mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carter Pewterschmidt View Post
He's the XL600 Jesus, his bike dies for our sins.
RFVC600R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 11:51 PM   #7138
crobox
Gnarly Adventurer
 
crobox's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Location: Taos, NM
Oddometer: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracus124 View Post
I also want to change the valve seals because the bike smokes very rarely and randomly on start up But I don't know anything about how to do that.... I'm reading up on it later but some XL600 specifics will be appreciated
My friend, who ground my valves, told me to use a little loctite on the valve seals, where they snap on to the collars in the head.

I did as he said.

-C
__________________
Current Bikes: 2002 XR650L, 1988 Hondasuki KLNX250R
Previous Bikes: 1986 Honda XL600R,Honda XL250R (2 of them), Honda XL600R, Kawasaki KLR600, Honda Nighthawk, BMW K1100LT, BMW R100GS, BMW R60/6, BMW K75, Husqvarna 430XC
Click HERE for my Cummins 4BT International Scout build thread www.christianristow.com
crobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 08:46 PM   #7139
Carter Pewterschmidt
Beastly Adventurer
 
Carter Pewterschmidt's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: Milwaukee
Oddometer: 1,048
This guy thinks he's got one that's worth a bunch of money. Rare to boot!

http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/mcy/3687541066.html
Carter Pewterschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 03:16 PM   #7140
Carter Pewterschmidt
Beastly Adventurer
 
Carter Pewterschmidt's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: Milwaukee
Oddometer: 1,048
SS braided front brake line

Anyone who's done a fork swap will have had to replace that funky steel and rubber stock brake line, but since the master has that threaded fitting I'm curious what you've used. Do you have to get that certain fitting on the end or can you make a banjo fitting work somehow?
Carter Pewterschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:05 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014