Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-14-2013, 05:40 PM   #61
Mark_S OP
Fair Weather Faggot

Oddometer: 1,639
Quote:
Originally Posted by warewolf View Post
WTF?! Where did that come from??

BTDT, didn't get the tee-shirt. The one I rode for a day wasn't particularly flash, a fairly basic model, didn't fit me well (likely correctable if it was adjusted for me) and lived up to the H-D rep - from both sides of the fence. I can see why people like them, I can see why people don't. I'm in the latter camp, but if I lived in a bigger, more open land I'd... nah, who am I kidding? I just wouldn't.
Its funny how our preconceptions shape our bike lust.
I'd like to ride a Harley but I'd never own one simply as I believe (mistakenly or otherwise) that all harley owners are wankers. Same with R1200GS owners - (only if their owners have bmw riding jackets though)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padmei View Post
Before getting the adv bike I was thinking about maybe a Harley. I like the full dressers so hired a Heritage Softail for a ride around Queenstown for the day.
After half an hour I was really over the vibrations which made the riding quite uncomfortable. Apparently the newer models have rubber mounts on the engine.

Anyway I may go the cruiser way at a later stage of my life but like the Kawasaki Nomad more than Harleys. I i said i would like a back rest would that make me a wuss?

In contrast I've never understood the naked bikes like the hornet, bandit etc...

Actually this is quite a cool thread - we're living our bike purchasing fantasies vicariously thru you Mark
if you buy a cruiser you will be banned from this forum (more preconceptions - all cruiser riders are wankers... - its amazing how many other riders who I know nothing about simply must be wankers because of the bikes they ride...)

wouldn't you classify your airhead as a naked bike?

Admittedly I would be very unlikely to buy any road bike that didn't have some sort of wind protection - I like my comfort.

Got 2 bandits lined up to look at in Napier/Hastings on Sat morning so looks like I'll be up at sparrows fart so I can get there via and interesting route...
Old 03-14-2013, 06:50 PM   #62
Crisis management
Latte riders FTW!

Oddometer: 1,413
Having just found this and in a similar wander away from real adventure bikes I have few suggestions.
Before I try and confuse you, my current do anything is a 1983 R80rt without the fairings, goes on any road (19" front), does commuting, touring and is soon to have it's track day debut which should prove "interesting". It's pretty average at everything but always entertaining.

Get bigger capacity, torque is good and 100hp is a fairly balanced amount of power, lots of fun but you can't really get into trouble. The 80 I'm currently riding is gutless at 60 odd HP, tapped out at 150kms and needs a hill to pass anything.
Try for a larger front wheel if you can for the ability to ride back roads, 17" rims do work in gravel at a push but you need a level of commitment that puts me in an uncomfortable spot.
There are a ton of older UJMs out there for 5k that would go for years and anywhere, if your not sure what you want just get something and thrash it,: RF 900, ST2, any unfaired 750, Kawasaki 1100 / eddie lawson replica thingy.
Given an open budget now, I would look at a 950/990 Ktm on street tyres, tighter budget - the tiger or strom.

Failing that, find something that seduces you and enjoy the riding.
Old 03-14-2013, 07:33 PM   #63
clintnz
Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer: 3,296
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_S View Post
Actually I've always wanted to take a Harley for a ride .
How about one of those Buell Uselessyss things? http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/moto...-570942250.htm That way you can be a wanker I mean Harley rider without the badge to prove it & also have a bike that doesn't suck too bad on gravel. I think you'd still need to add tassels though.

Cheers
Clint

The wilderness, the desert - why are they not crowded
.................................................. .....with pilgrims?
clintnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 08:39 PM   #64
Box'a'bits
In need of repair

Oddometer: 2,028
Quote:
Originally Posted by clintnz View Post
How about one of those Buell Uselessyss things? That way you can be a wanker I mean Harley rider without the badge to prove it & also have a bike that doesn't suck too bad on gravel. I think you'd still need to add testicles though.
Cheers Clint
Fixed. You may also be able to go on Hormone replacement therapy...

There also a nice looking one down in Invergiggle for $11k. Advertised via facebook, so let me know if you want contact details.

It's just better when there's twins involved....
Box'a'bits is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 08:52 PM   #65
Mark_S OP
Fair Weather Faggot

Quote:
How about one of those Buell Uselessyss things? http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/moto...-570942250.htm That way you can be a wanker I mean Harley rider without the badge to prove it & also have a bike that doesn't suck too bad on gravel. I think you'd still need to add tassels though.

Cheers
Clint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Box'a'bits View Post

There also a nice looking one down in Invergiggle for $11k. Advertised via facebook, so let me know if you want contact details.
Once upon a time I would have been interested. Whats interesting/weird is the way the prices for Buells have stayed relatively high. Don't these people know that they own orphans that no dealer gives a rats back passage about?

can you imagine trying to get parts from a HD dealer. After 15 minutes of waiting leaning on the parts counter the bearded, pony-tailed overweight parts guy would finally stop talking to his tattooed biker buddy and look at you with a 'yeah bud' . You'd ask for a buell part - see his face register 'fuckwit' and say 'not in stock bud' before turning back to his harley buddy.
Old 03-14-2013, 09:07 PM   #66
Mark_S OP
Fair Weather Faggot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisis management View Post
Having just found this and in a similar wander away from real adventure bikes I have few suggestions.
Before I try and confuse you, my current do anything is a 1983 R80rt without the fairings, goes on any road (19" front), does commuting, touring and is soon to have it's track day debut which should prove "interesting". It's pretty average at everything but always entertaining.

Get bigger capacity, torque is good and 100hp is a fairly balanced amount of power, lots of fun but you can't really get into trouble. The 80 I'm currently riding is gutless at 60 odd HP, tapped out at 150kms and needs a hill to pass anything.
Try for a larger front wheel if you can for the ability to ride back roads, 17" rims do work in gravel at a push but you need a level of commitment that puts me in an uncomfortable spot.
There are a ton of older UJMs out there for 5k that would go for years and anywhere, if your not sure what you want just get something and thrash it,: RF 900, ST2, any unfaired 750, Kawasaki 1100 / eddie lawson replica thingy.
Given an open budget now, I would look at a 950/990 Ktm on street tyres, tighter budget - the tiger or strom.

Failing that, find something that seduces you and enjoy the riding.
you complain about 60hp - try overtaking a long line of cars with 40 romping stomping ponies.

While I don't mind tatty bikes if I'm the one thats made them tatty I really can't get that excited about tidying up someone else's cast off - so that mean fairly low (sub 30k or so) km and probably max 5-7 years old so that kind of narrows the field a bit.

I'd love to find a 955 tiger in the lower half of the North Island to take for a strop. A strom makes so much sense but unfortunately I think they look hideous.

like the add says - "It's a hard road finding the perfect woman. ...
Old 03-14-2013, 09:39 PM   #67
trustme
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 912
http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/moto...-547615691.htm

It's too old ,It would give you a feel, the steamers were a little , mmmm , well , almost but not quite.
The late model 955 had the bugs sorted, keep the battery charged . Parts can be spendy , the 20k service can be pricey if you can't do valve shims. Any modern ' hook it up to a puter to tune it ' bike is great till things go wrong
trustme is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 10:28 PM   #68
Night Falcon
Adventure NZL

Oddometer: 1,600
Quote:
WTF?! Where did that come from??

I know, I know, its hard to believe that an idle remark about lazy engines can lead to such a catastrophic end, but look what happened when Rutherford casually split an atom
Night Falcon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 10:28 PM   #69
Mark_S OP
Fair Weather Faggot

Quote:
Originally Posted by trustme View Post
http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/moto...-547615691.htm

It's too old ,It would give you a feel, the steamers were a little , mmmm , well , almost but not quite.
The late model 955 had the bugs sorted, keep the battery charged . Parts can be spendy , the 20k service can be pricey if you can't do valve shims. Any modern ' hook it up to a puter to tune it ' bike is great till things go wrong
thanks for that - hadn't seen that because my tardme searches start at 2003. I would go and test ride it except I test rode a R1200ST from there a week or two ago - they might actually expect me to spend money with them if I keep test riding bikes.....

$9.5k for a 14yr old imported bike with 33k seems to have lost touch with reality somewhat.
Old 03-14-2013, 11:04 PM   #70
stegs
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 212
620 Multistrada - does everything you want to do and even fits the price range though not quite the 2007 deadline. But I am biased.

(Apologies if already mentioned)
stegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 12:10 AM   #71
Padmei
enamoured

Oddometer: 3,419
Quote:
Originally Posted by Box'a'bits View Post

Frick me I thought that mangled 1150GS mongrel on KB was ugly - at least that was fun ugly, there's no excuse for that

The old tigers are cool but as you say are overpriced - May reflect the owners age- needing to cash in their investments for retirement
Padmei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 02:09 AM   #72
bart-nz
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 662
Quote:

Cheers
Clint
Belt drive on gravel

I heard somewhere that's not a good thing.

bart-nz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 02:11 AM   #73
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,109
Quote:
Originally Posted by bart-nz View Post
Belt drive on gravel

I heard somewhere that's not a good thing.
Big Dave went on the XB12??? ride in Oz and it was on a lot of gravel and dirt and no blet problems on any of the bikes.
NordieBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 12:14 PM   #74
warewolf
Tyre critic

Oddometer: 2,354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Falcon View Post
t look what happened when Rutherford casually split an atom
Rutherford never split an atom. His musings led to the work that proved it possible and then made it happen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McQueen
All racers I know aren't in it for the money. They race because it's something inside of them... They're not courting death. They're courting being alive.
warewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 02:42 PM   #75
innathyzit
AKA Woodman

Oddometer: 857
Quote:
Rutherford never split an atom. His musings led to the work that proved it possible and then made it happen.

I spose you gonna claim it was an Australian who split the atom.

Pretty sure my next bike will be a road bike, probarbly regret it but, meh.

Quite like the big gsx1400 type naked ones.

Marks, what about a Bonnie?
innathyzit is offline   Reply With Quote