ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-11-2013, 04:48 PM   #106
kickstand72
i just ride.....

Oddometer: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by callison View Post
Indeed, I think it is. Here's one a little further down the road

Nice shot of the wall frozen!
2004 YZ250F
kickstand72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:22 PM   #107
SidewinderX
Hey, watch this!

Oddometer: 1,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by hambone650rider View Post
Hey that's my bike it was 09 kickstand you old fart
You might want to start locking your garage after you leave.....

Now we know why your tires wear out so quickly.....
Old 03-14-2013, 05:01 PM   #108
kickstand72
i just ride.....

weekend Bump

Ok on my bike then in after the construction was done. Also where i dropped the GS Hambone. Whoops....Not sure about work yet but any ride plans out there in case i'm off?
2004 YZ250F

kickstand72 screwed with this post 03-14-2013 at 05:10 PM
Old 03-15-2013, 03:46 PM   #109
lostmarbles
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,887
i may be up for a ride after lunch tomorrow have to work in the am.

Don't tell me the skies the limit when there are footprints on the moon.

Have you seen my marbles?
you can't be lost if you still have half a tank
save 5$ on smugmug.com coupon #----(DE9oGz4LoiNZA )
lostmarbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 05:02 AM   #110
Lonnie Wrights
n00b

Oddometer: 9
New guy here

I'm a new guy on the site and just found this thread. I live in Clemmons and see there are some locals. I've got 2 bikes and and 4-wheeler and am always looking to get out (as long as its not raining). I'm no peg dragger but do pretty well on keeping up (as long as you wait at the turns). If you do any Dual Sport rides I would enjoy meeting up and tagging along, I purchase a KLX 250s a while back and enjoy getting out a poking around the back roads and not to serious trail riding, now if you want to do 4-Wheelers I'm game for anything. It would get nice to meet some local people who like to get out and do some exploring. I'll check out the facebook page also.
Lonnie Wrights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 09:18 AM   #111
callison
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonnie Wrights View Post
I'm a new guy on the site and just found this thread. I live in Clemmons and see there are some locals. I've got 2 bikes and and 4-wheeler and am always looking to get out (as long as its not raining). I'm no peg dragger but do pretty well on keeping up (as long as you wait at the turns). If you do any Dual Sport rides I would enjoy meeting up and tagging along, I purchase a KLX 250s a while back and enjoy getting out a poking around the back roads and not to serious trail riding, now if you want to do 4-Wheelers I'm game for anything. It would get nice to meet some local people who like to get out and do some exploring. I'll check out the facebook page also.
Hi Lonnie,

I'm fairly new round these parts as well. There have been a few rides this past month, I haven't been able to make the connection, yet. It seems like we're pretty much on the same level as far as riding is concerned. On most nice weekends I'm heading west looking for roads less traveled. I'd like to plan a couple weekend excursions this summer to get up to the Blue Ridge trail that's been mapped out over the past couple years.

Keep an eye out, I try to post when/where I'm headed, would be happy to coordinate.
Old 03-18-2013, 02:06 PM   #112
Lonnie Wrights
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by callison View Post
Hi Lonnie,

I'm fairly new round these parts as well. There have been a few rides this past month, I haven't been able to make the connection, yet. It seems like we're pretty much on the same level as far as riding is concerned. On most nice weekends I'm heading west looking for roads less traveled. I'd like to plan a couple weekend excursions this summer to get up to the Blue Ridge trail that's been mapped out over the past couple years.

Keep an eye out, I try to post when/where I'm headed, would be happy to coordinate.

Will do and when i head out I'll post up also. I try to a little riding every weekend unless the weather is really bad. My other bike is a H-D Street Glide I use when I just want to cruise and relax.
Old 03-18-2013, 03:32 PM   #113
Hoodis
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
Virginia Horse Trails

Since the Virginia Horse Trails will only be open till the end of the month, I was thinking about a a ride from the Sugar Grove/16 end towards the 21 end, with a return by Comer's Rock this Sunday. Should be about 27 miles of pretty easy trail (may be a little greasy - Trailwings, etc. will require a bit of care in a few places) followed by about 20-30 miles of mostly gravel to get back to the truck (depending on where we park).

The weather forecast doesn't look too promising right now, but you know how things change this time of year in the mountains.

Any takers?
Hoodis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 03:41 PM   #114
callison
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
I'll take a bit of that, weather permitting. looks like I'm open this Sunday.
Old 03-18-2013, 06:24 PM   #115
Lonnie Wrights
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoodis View Post
Since the Virginia Horse Trails will only be open till the end of the month, I was thinking about a a ride from the Sugar Grove/16 end towards the 21 end, with a return by Comer's Rock this Sunday. Should be about 27 miles of pretty easy trail (may be a little greasy - Trailwings, etc. will require a bit of care in a few places) followed by about 20-30 miles of mostly gravel to get back to the truck (depending on where we park).

The weather forecast doesn't look too promising right now, but you know how things change this time of year in the mountains.

Any takers?
If you do not mind me asking I would be interested in some information about this area, where its at, how to get there and do you need any kind of permission to ride. I'm always looking to try new stuff out.
Old 03-19-2013, 05:30 PM   #116
Hoodis
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonnie Wrights View Post
If you do not mind me asking I would be interested in some information about this area, where its at, how to get there and do you need any kind of permission to ride. I'm always looking to try new stuff out.
The Virginia Horse Trails are multi-use trails in the Mount Rogers Recreation area. The section I referred to is only open to Motorcycles (no ATVs) from October through March each year. This trail starts from HWY 16 about 2 miles south of Sugar Grove, VA. and runs east to HWY 21 about 6 miles north of Independence, VA. You pretty much need a detailed map to follow the legal trails - I recommend the National Geographic Trails Illustrated Map of Mount Rogers National Recreation Area. It is easy to get lost.

The weather is looking worse and worse for Sunday - but hope springs eternal. I got very wet the end of last March up there, but it was in the mid 50s and pretty much fun until we hit the pavement back to the truck for 12 miles or so. Today would have been a great day to ride. Sigh...
Old 03-19-2013, 06:32 PM   #117
Lonnie Wrights
n00b

Thanks for the information and it sounds very interesting. By the way, getting lost is what I do best and half the fun of riding is finding your way back and I always run a gps for that little blue line that when all else fails it will get you back to your starting point. I'll keep an eye out and the next time some one is going I'll tag along.
Old 03-21-2013, 06:20 PM   #118
Hoodis
Gnarly Adventurer

I don't think the Horse Trails will be this "bad" on Sunday, but I think next weekend is more promising:

Old 03-22-2013, 05:51 AM   #119
Lonnie Wrights
n00b

For my own benefit I was wondering what kind of trails are in this area, I'm 53 years old and 20 years ago use to ride a lot but I'm just getting back into the 2 wheel side of fun. Now I do remember how to ride but knowing and doing are 2 separate things. I would not want to slow anybody down having to wait on me. I am thinking I may need to go and check it out before tagging along with folks who like to get'er done so to speak.
Old 03-22-2013, 02:25 PM   #120
kickstand72
i just ride.....

Virginia horse trails you say? I've been lost there
And only sidewinder would take a perfectly good running 990r through there.....
2004 YZ250F