Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 508 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 03-15-2013, 06:35 AM   #27736
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,820
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
Some dismounts happen so quickly that no amount of training will allow you to unclip in time. I've seen very experienced racers being flung down the road with their bikes still attached to them, and I've also seen it happen on the trails.
On the flip side of that are the times when muscle memory allows you to unclip in situations you wouldn't expect.

Like hopping over your handlebars as the bike is endo-ing.

BTDT

Get used to riding the clipless pedals and at some point you don't have to think about it any more.

M
Old 03-15-2013, 06:38 AM   #27737
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer: 6,452

I only have one bicycle right now that *isn't* clipped, and that's the bike I ride four blocks to work. Everything else I clip into. I love the power.
Old 03-15-2013, 07:21 AM   #27738
kbasa
Colnago!

Oddometer: 69,813
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisenhallw View Post

I only have one bicycle right now that *isn't* clipped, and that's the bike I ride four blocks to work. Everything else I clip into. I love the power.
On crazy climbs, I like to be able to fire my glutes and hamstrings and pull up. When my quads start screaming just a couple minutes of that can give them a bit of rest and they recover to usefulness again.

If I could ever get my push down/pull up at the same time technique down, I'd be a much stronger rider.

I saw this crank set called something like PowrCranks or similar that would be great for that. The cranks operate independently, so you have to get used to full circle effort on each leg. It probably wouldn't take long to be able to evenly apply force all the way around.

Fuck Cancer. Ride bikes. - dave + tina
kbasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 11:24 AM   #27739
Andrew
Optimus Primer

Oddometer: 15,954
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbasa View Post
On crazy climbs, I like to be able to fire my glutes and hamstrings and pull up. When my quads start screaming just a couple minutes of that can give them a bit of rest and they recover to usefulness again.

If I could ever get my push down/pull up at the same time technique down, I'd be a much stronger rider.

I saw this crank set called something like PowrCranks or similar that would be great for that. The cranks operate independently, so you have to get used to full circle effort on each leg. It probably wouldn't take long to be able to evenly apply force all the way around.
Power Cranks: http://www.powercranks.com/

Curious stuff, I can see how it would help you balance your muscles in each leg.
Old 03-15-2013, 12:27 PM   #27740
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 5,433
Got out on the Roubaix today for the first road ride of the year. Last time was October, 14. Wobbled around for a mile or so before feeling comfy on the bike and getting used to the slick shifting SRAM stuff again. Knocked out 26 miles at a 19.9mph avg, which ain't too shabby considering the Garmin is notoriously on the slow side of accurate. I'll take it.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 12:58 PM   #27741
Stinez
Rhymes with Heinz :D

Oddometer: 49,738
I don't visit here often but it's nice to see that most of the regulars are still going strong and staying dedicated to their bicycles.

Our little M/B group is still going strong.

Wilder Park Santa Cruz

Tomorrow is Demonstration forest Santa Cruz

I'm not one of the faster down-hillers in our group but that 29er can sure climb.

The GOP puts the "Con" in Conservative.
Stinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 01:05 PM   #27742
YakSpout
Obstacle Allusion

Oddometer: 6,190
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmonte View Post
Got out on the Roubaix today for the first road ride of the year. Last time was October, 14. Wobbled around for a mile or so before feeling comfy on the bike and getting used to the slick shifting SRAM stuff again. Knocked out 26 miles at a 19.9mph avg, which ain't too shabby considering the Garmin is notoriously on the slow side of accurate. I'll take it.

I commuted yesterday on my Roubaix for the first time since DST ended last year. Rough start included throwing the chain while leaving an intersection, which spun the cranks and bashed my ankle. Naturally, that caused me to slip forward and come down hard on the nose of the seat, which tilted it down about 30deg. Stopped a block later to fix that. Then about 2 miles into the ride, I dropped the bottle after taking a drink and when I stopped, I saw it had gone into a storm drain. Went back and took a look and it was stuck on a ridge of mud just a few inches inside the drain. Grabbed it and continued to work with no further trouble.

Then leaving the parking lot at work, the arm that comes down after cars exit (which usually stays up from 5-7pm) tried to take my head off while I was leaving the driveway. I threw my body forward and accelerated to clear it and bashed my face into my GoPro. That opened up a nice 3/4" gash in my upper lip, which bled most of the way home. My gloves looked like I wore them through a slaughterhouse.

Note to cyclists: If you want auto commuters to give you a wide berth, smear blood all over your face and your gloves. They give you plenty of room for some reason.

What a ride...
YakSpout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 01:15 PM   #27743
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 7,828
Ouch! Quite the adventure start to the season.
I will get to see my Roubaix in about seven hours. But, zero time to ride while I'm home. I need to work on the motorcycle and get it up to snuff, then some plumbing work on the house.

I think I'm in good waterbottle practice as I use one at work, and have only dropped it once at my desk.
The peleton sprinted in a feed zone I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakSpout View Post

I commuted yesterday on my Roubaix for the first time since DST ended last year. Rough start included throwing the chain while leaving an intersection, which spun the cranks and bashed my ankle. Naturally, that caused me to slip forward and come down hard on the nose of the seat, which tilted it down about 30deg. Stopped a block later to fix that. Then about 2 miles into the ride, I dropped the bottle after taking a drink and when I stopped, I saw it had gone into a storm drain. Went back and took a look and it was stuck on a ridge of mud just a few inches inside the drain. Grabbed it and continued to work with no further trouble.

Then leaving the parking lot at work, the arm that comes down after cars exit (which usually stays up from 5-7pm) tried to take my head off while I was leaving the driveway. I threw my body forward and accelerated to clear it and bashed my face into my GoPro. That opened up a nice 3/4" gash in my upper lip, which bled most of the way home. My gloves looked like I wore them through a slaughterhouse.

Note to cyclists: If you want auto commuters to give you a wide berth, smear blood all over your face and your gloves. They give you plenty of room for some reason.

What a ride...
My Life With The 990R
Smugmug
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 04:03 PM   #27744
YakSpout
Obstacle Allusion

Oddometer: 6,190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Head View Post
Ouch! Quite the adventure start to the season.
I will get to see my Roubaix in about seven hours. But, zero time to ride while I'm home. I need to work on the motorcycle and get it up to snuff, then some plumbing work on the house.

I think I'm in good waterbottle practice as I use one at work, and have only dropped it once at my desk.
The peleton sprinted in a feed zone I think.

That's the first time I've dropped a bottle in 2 years. And NATURALLY I was right next to a storm drain...
YakSpout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 05:05 PM   #27745
kbasa
Colnago!

Oddometer: 69,813

YakSpout brings the funny.

Fuck Cancer. Ride bikes. - dave + tina
kbasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 06:27 AM   #27746
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Another one for Ricky:

Nicolai gets fat

M
Old 03-16-2013, 08:32 AM   #27747
Oznerol
Motion Enthusiast

Oddometer: 1,029
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinez View Post
Tomorrow is Demonstration forest Santa Cruz
Man, I really have to get down and check out the demo.

It's right at a year since I moved to the Bay Area. I've done a good bit of road biking -- the fun factor for road biking is way higher here than back east.

But my mountain bikes are gathering dust. It's just been too much easier to hop on my road bike, rather than having to load up the mountain bike and drive a pretty good distance to a trail. And I haven't been that excited by the few trails I've been on. Not that much actual tight singletrack, and not much technical challenge. (Huge aerobic challenge getting up these bigger mountains, though.)

I've been starting to think about paring the stable way down, to just a road bike and a beater commuter. The thought makes me sad; I've had a ton of good times on my mountain bikes.
Oznerol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 09:34 AM   #27748
zouch
part-time wanderer

Oddometer: 1,689
@Oznerol,
before you give another milliseconds consideration to letting your MTB go, you should know that though the road riding opportunities right out of your door are wonderful, there's also a good bit of decent trail near you. (i once lived where you are now, and part of the reason i moved to this part of the world was for the cycling opportunities.

for starters, without going all the way to the Demo Forest, you've got all the stuff that the Mid-Peninsula Open Space district (mis-)manages, with many people saying the crown jewel in the system being El Corte de Madera (often referred to be the name of the Scenic Overlook where people park near it: "Skeggs").
if you haven't also explored everything accessible off of the end of Stevens Canyon, connecting in with the network out of Saratoga Gap and/or Alpine Road, you're missing some great potential fun.
a little further up the Pen' is the small but technically interesting Water Dog Park.
if you're up for hauling it over the hill as far as Demo, you probably don't want to miss getting over to the coast to check out Wilder Ranch, and definitely don't want to miss out checking out Tamarancho in Marin.

that's all i'm going to tell you about in a public forum. after you've checked that out, get back to me if you want to know about more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oznerol View Post
Man, I really have to get down and check out the demo.

It's right at a year since I moved to the Bay Area. I've done a good bit of road biking -- the fun factor for road biking is way higher here than back east.

But my mountain bikes are gathering dust. It's just been too much easier to hop on my road bike, rather than having to load up the mountain bike and drive a pretty good distance to a trail. And I haven't been that excited by the few trails I've been on. Not that much actual tight singletrack, and not much technical challenge. (Huge aerobic challenge getting up these bigger mountains, though.)

I've been starting to think about paring the stable way down, to just a road bike and a beater commuter. The thought makes me sad; I've had a ton of good times on my mountain bikes.

'02 GS Adv
zouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 03:09 PM   #27749
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Not my size, but my first 'real' road bike was a PDM Concorde and I want another!

M
Old 03-16-2013, 04:09 PM   #27750
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer: 6,452
First race of the season today. St. Patrick's day Duathlon in Hampstead, MD. 3 mile run/18 mile bike/2.5 mile run. 34 degrees with overcast skies, wind from the N/Ne at 4 mph. Intermittent periods of precipitation.

Wasn't *too* bad, despite the fact that the course was variously peppered at times with cold rain, sleet, snow, you name it. My first run was pretty good for me, turned it in at 27 mins. I freakin' rocked the cycling section, especially since the race organizer cut it down to 11 miles because of snow on the road in some of the tight corners. ? The countryside in that area of MD reeeeally reminds me of where I grew up, the foothills of North Carolina. Lots of short, sharp descents, a quick hammer on level ground for a hundred or so yards, then a short, sharp ascent. I felt very at home cycling in that countryside. My CAAD9 wearing the Ultegra group once again handled like a champ, and I love my orange Vittorias. They stayed glued to the road (the conditions were never icy enough to make me nervous - just enough damp on the roads to increase surface tension).

UNfortunately, it's become *very* clear to me that while my run/bike is pretty good, my bike/run SUUUUUUCKS. I had plenty of cardio, breath wasn't the problem. It was my legs - they felt like crap and I couldn't get a nice stride going - all I could manage was this retarded little trot. I spotted a transition workout a while back that was basically an hour & a half of alternating biking & running for 10 minutes each, and I think I'm going to add that into the mix.

Now, I've promised myself to enter four races this year. What should I do next? Should I
A) Enter another duathlon of similar length to enter, and see if I can improve on my times
B) Double-down on the stupidity and sign up for the Olympic Duathlon in July with double the lengths (10k run/48? k bike/10 k run)
C) go to a different discipline altogether and find a nice time trial to enter somewhere? I did want to finally knock out a century ride this year, after all...

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: