Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-13-2013, 09:17 PM   #226
B50Paul
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 198
66 riding road bikes since 18 . got car endorsement at 60 , and first car last year . ten bikes , one car . rode the duke2 today , tho it showered more than not, I enjoyed it
paul
B50Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 08:07 PM   #227
rkb1954
n00b

Oddometer: 1
59 and love to ride dual sports. In fact I love them all!!! Just some more than others. Started at 16 and have acquired 6 knee operations, 15 broken ribs, collapsed lung, road rash so bad it looks like I walked through a forrest fire, broken fingers, and yet I still get excited just riding down a dirt road. I love to see that look on a beginners face the first time he crashes but yet stands up and finds out he will live for more. I am lucky, still alive, have a great wife, and I still go out in my garage and look at my bikes everyday all winter long if I haven't been on them out in the junk. Not sure who said it but when one dies they should go to their grave sideways, all used up, and look back at their life saying WOW!!! What a ride! Wish I could ride like the young guys again but I still have the heart. Hope you all stay up--------

07 BMW 1200 GS
09 BMW 1200 GSA
13 BMW 1200 GS wet head (all most here)
010 HD Electra glide classic
rkb1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 08:19 PM   #228
gec343
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb1954 View Post
59 and love to ride dual sports. In fact I love them all!!! Just some more than others. Started at 16 and have acquired 6 knee operations, 15 broken ribs, collapsed lung, road rash so bad it looks like I walked through a forrest fire, broken fingers, and yet I still get excited just riding down a dirt road. I love to see that look on a beginners face the first time he crashes but yet stands up and finds out he will live for more. I am lucky, still alive, have a great wife, and I still go out in my garage and look at my bikes everyday all winter long if I haven't been on them out in the junk. Not sure who said it but when one dies they should go to their grave sideways, all used up, and look back at their life saying WOW!!! What a ride! Wish I could ride like the young guys again but I still have the heart. Hope you all stay up--------

07 BMW 1200 GS
09 BMW 1200 GSA
13 BMW 1200 GS wet head (all most here)
010 HD Electra glide classic

2010 Gold Wing/ABS
1977 R100/7 (bought new)
gec343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 05:34 AM   #229
smj
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 203
Started to ride in 1973, don't know if that makes me old but some days I do feel like I must be getting there... Gave up my WR426 a few years back when they put a valve in my heart, a birth defect that caught up with me. 5 months later I got on the WR and found myself going about 30 a couple feet off the ground sideways on a jeep trail. I kept thinking of what my doctor might say if I came down on all those rocks and split open 5 and half hours of surgery... So, the WR got sold. I retired to a KLR 650. About 2 years later, I determined that either I'd kill the KLR or it would kill me. Nothing against the bike, we just had different opinions of what and how to ride. That's when I bought the YZ250F... Now I have an 07 XR650R and a 12 990R. The 990R still feels a bit over the top, but I keep thinking I hear Alaska calling...
Old 03-17-2013, 06:36 AM   #230
PVRnick
Pennsy Flyer

Oddometer: 173
I hear ya smj ! I bought my first bike in 1966, I think that
probably get's me in the club!
I just got a Tiger800XC and I can hear Alaska calling me too!
Keep on Keepin' on Brother.

Nick
'06 Wee Strom
'95 XR650L
PVRnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 08:19 PM   #231
Bar None
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,228
I built my first bike at age 13 from plans from Popular Mechanics back in 1955.
Still riding at age 71 after probably 50 or more bikes.

We spend six months in the mountains of Western North Carolina where the riding on and off pavement is wonderful, not so great riding in SW Florida in the winter but the weather is decent.

Just got back from Bike Week on the Ural, great time at the sidecar meet at the Flea Market.

Hope to keep riding for another ten years or so.
2014 Ice Bear PBZ110-1P sidecar
2015 Ural cT on order
Bar None is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 11:19 PM   #232
TRZ Charlie
That's MR. Asshole

Oddometer: 15,317
63 here, ride a DRZ around on Arkansas gravel and trails all the time. Last year I rode in Utah with friends. We road up Tandy Mountain on some of the gnarliest crap I have ever ridden, quite an adventure. I plan to keep on keepin on. As other's have stated, I will go to a hack if I can't ride on two wheels but I refuse to quit. It's my therapy and my mistress.

TRZ Charlie screwed with this post 03-18-2013 at 10:25 AM
TRZ Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 08:08 AM   #233
gec343
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 814
I'll be 71 tomorrow. I still ride about 15000 miles ayear, and have no plans to quit. However, when I get too old for two wheels, then will get a sidecar rig. I had a Ural Tourist, and they are tons of fun. Presently, my dog, Pugsley, is my only pillion buddy...he never complains.

2010 Gold Wing/ABS
1977 R100/7 (bought new)
gec343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 08:36 PM   #234
Hungry Valley
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
57 here,been riding since I was 12.Have owned a lot of different bikes over the years,mostly dirt.Currently own an old XT 550 with a lot of mods,a 93 XR 600 with the HRC 610 kit installed by XR;s only,a 90 ATK604e and a 95 DR 350se.All street legal.I live in the San Gabrial mountains and ride mostly fireroads with some occasional single track and a couple times a summer I''ll do Hwy 2 from Wrightwood to Newcombs Ranch and back for a little pavement.I am starting to prefer electric start,a sure sign that I'm gettin old!
Hungry Valley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:52 AM   #235
The Opa
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 642
Eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gec343 View Post
I'll be 71 tomorrow. I still ride about 15000 miles ayear, and have no plans to quit. However, when I get too old for two wheels, then will get a sidecar rig. I had a Ural Tourist, and they are tons of fun. Presently, my dog, Pugsley, is my only pillion buddy...he never complains.
Since today is the tomorrow you mentioned yesterday....

HAPPY BIRTHDAY gec343

Opa Rides
The Opa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 10:25 PM   #236
Ahboon
Re-Cycled

Oddometer: 17
Old?

I'm getting old just reading this thread!
Born 28 April 1941
Started riding legally July 1959. Pretty much continuously since then. About 6 differrent countries and approximately 21 motorcycles.
Current fleet is a Honda NC700, Kawasaki ER-5, Kawasaki D-tracker and an FZ150i.
So I guess that makes it almost 54 years of riding, almost 72 years of age and almost proficient.
Cheers fellas - Never give up.
Old 03-30-2013, 07:04 AM   #237
Farang Paul
A Late Convert

Oddometer: 16
Old - just a state of mind

Returned to regular riding after a 35 year break. Ride every day, mountains in the morning, beach in the evening and night when it cools down.

Finally persuaded my Thai lady to ride with me (why ride on a bike when you can ride in a cage with a/c, is the Thai way of thinking)

With a new GS on order a 4,000 k trip down through Malaysia is planned for May -once the bike is broken in.

(Why do we still have to break bikes in? First service on my Chevy Trailblazer is 20,000k)

Will ride as long as I breathe
Farang Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 06:27 AM   #238
ttmike
n00b

Oddometer: 6
interesting topic

I'm 64. Riding since 14. Started with a Cushman. I've been through a lot of different bikes from dirt to heavy tourers of different makes. Spent 3 years without a motorcycle when I moved into a motorhome full time after retiring. A friend convinced me that dual sports were the thing and that got me back into riding. Now, I have a WR250R Yamaha and an Electra Glide. Totally enjoy both. What interests me are the guys that start motorcycling at, say, 60. I've met several and some of them have multiple bikes and all love it. It makes me wonder why they waited so long. I feel fortunate to have had all those years of riding that were so enjoyable. No telling how this will end (maybe a trike!), but, I love it.
ttmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 10:00 AM   #239
Badjuju
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 276
Old is a state of mind. I'm nearly 63 and just finished taking the Lee Parks Total Control course in Lexington, KY....and I wasn't the oldest rider in the class! Two days of REALLY hard work. Loved the experience, but found out I wasn't in riding shape this early in the season. Everything hurt after the first day.

BTW, I highly recommend the course if you want to improve your riding. I doubt I'll ever be a track monster, but it easily translates to street riding and survival skills.
Some people will tell you that slow is good, and it may be on some days, but I am here to tell you that fast is better... Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba.... Hunter S Thompson, Song of the Sausage Creature
Badjuju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 10:18 AM   #240
Dave in IL
Old & slow but having fun

Oddometer: 85
I'll let you know when it happens

At 55 a lot of things remind me I'm getting older, like a few years ago when some one asked how long I'd been riding, after some quick math I determined it was more than 40 years. Yikes!

But when I'm on the bike I'm not old, a good day riding is as good as it ever was, and a bad day riding is still better than most days doing anything else. LOL When that changes I'll know I'm getting old.

My wife gave up riding after more than 25 years. She was coming off of the blacktop onto our gravel road when she hit some pea gravel on the asphalt apron, the back wheel started to slide out and she over reacted and grabbed the front brake and ended up in the ditch. Along with some scratches and bruising she had a shoulder injury that took more than a year to recover from.

She was an experienced rider and had owned several different bikes over the years, we'd taken many trips together. Her current bike was a 99 Kawasaki Voyager. The day before we'd went on a ride with friends, while we were waiting for everyone to show up she was out in the pasture riding figure 8s in the grass on this 1200cc touring bike. We then went on a couple hundred mile ride. The next night we took the bikes into town for supper and on the way home is when the accident happened. The bike sustained minimal damage, insurance fixed it good as new. When she had recovered she decided to sell the bike as she felt afraid, not of the bike and riding, but the realization of how a relatively slight accident had disrupted her life and she wasn't ready to risk it again. My wife is my best friend and I miss riding with her but I respect her choice.

I hope I'm not tested in that way. When I was younger I had my share of off road mishaps and close calls on the road, I was even hit by an albino Harley once. But I had no major injuries and recovered quickly. Today I ride less aggressively, wear better gear, practice safe riding technics and in general use my head more. Oh yea and I generally own better bikes too. But I don't know if I had a bad accident, would I get back on the bike without hesitation the same as years ago?

Maybe that's a function of getting older?

The only time that you should complain about someone's bike being too big and heavy is if you have to help them pick it up

Dave in IL screwed with this post 03-31-2013 at 10:29 AM
Dave in IL is offline   Reply With Quote