Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-14-2013, 03:30 PM   #24886
1 lunger
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,174
Any advice on a rear disc brake alternative to the OE one? Wave would be cool.
1 lunger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 04:48 PM   #24887
CO-or-bust
Wobbly Barn

Oddometer: 167
Question Giant Loop Great Basin???

Anyone have any hands-on experience with the Giant Loop Great Basin fitting (appropriately!) on their TE610??? Their Coyote bag is better designed/fitted to a TE, but it literally holds 1/3 less volume (GB 50 liters vs. Coy 30 liters --- and 60 liters on the new 2013 GB!). I'm planning on a 4 to 5 week trek and the extra 20 liters would come in pretty handy! I just don't want to overwhelm the bike (I don't think that the GB will, but I thought I'd check with you guys first... ).

Open to any thoughts and/or questions.

Thanks!
"COorbust"
Old 03-15-2013, 05:20 AM   #24888
flyrodder
Donny, please.

Oddometer: 2,937
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassos View Post
Hi folks,

I am in the process of converting my 06 610 from SM to TE.
I bought a set of wheels, front brake, set of plastics, and an IMS tank from
Dan at Motoxotica.
I started to work on it.

I did not realize the IMS tank has two extra fuel petcocks at the front lower left and right:

That raised a few questions.

1- IMS provided the petcocks that need to be mounted with teflon directly on the tank's platstic. I hope these will not cross-thread. Also they did not drill the hole big enough for the tiny filters to go in. I don't want to messup the inside with plastic cuts when resizing, any advice?

2- Can someone post pictures of the fuel connections between the 4 petcocks and the curburator.

3- Any extra ventilation needed for the tank?

Thanks, Christian.
Finished my install last night. I used a 9/32 drill bit to open up the hole on the tank's wings to allow the small filter on the forward petcocks to pass though. Just make sure you drill straight with the opening.
Old 03-15-2013, 05:39 AM   #24889
Scribe
£Bob£

Oddometer: 6,572
Didn't there used to be a link to the maintenance/mods posts at the beginning of this thread? Or am I high?
Old 03-15-2013, 10:48 AM   #24890
FatBob
The name says it all

Oddometer: 433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scribe View Post
Didn't there used to be a link to the maintenance/mods posts at the beginning of this thread? Or am I high?
I think you're looking for this: Index Thread

Ride Safe, Ride Often
FatBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 12:02 PM   #24891
Scribe
£Bob£

Oddometer: 6,572
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob View Post
I think you're looking for this: Index Thread

Yes I was! Thanks
Old 03-15-2013, 08:40 PM   #24892
686 Sahara
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
2007 sm610

Been reading the website now for a few months now, since I picked up a new on the floor 2010 990 ADV in orange in Aug. Just been reading, learning and riding. My youngest son is graduating highschool in May. We have been riding together since he was 5 when he got his first bike, now I'm buying his last bike . A 2007 sm 610 I found on craigs list with a little over 5000 miles on it. Is there any thing I should look for when we go this Sunday to look at it. Also were planning a 2500 mile trip through the Sierras and back down the coast after graduation on the bikes and would there be any problems on this bike.
Thanks for any and all input
686 Sahara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:14 PM   #24893
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by 686 Sahara View Post
Been reading the website now for a few months now, since I picked up a new on the floor 2010 990 ADV in orange in Aug. Just been reading, learning and riding. My youngest son is graduating highschool in May. We have been riding together since he was 5 when he got his first bike, now I'm buying his last bike . A 2007 sm 610 I found on craigs list with a little over 5000 miles on it. Is there any thing I should look for when we go this Sunday to look at it. Also were planning a 2500 mile trip through the Sierras and back down the coast after graduation on the bikes and would there be any problems on this bike.
I hate people who worry for me, so I apologize in advance for what I'm about to say:

I'm 43. I scare myself on a pretty much daily basis on the 610TE. The bike is just an evil bastard that MAKES you do stupid things. I literally cannot imagine having better braking and cornering that the SM has, because the TE is just stupid good.

If I had this bike in High School, I would not have survived, so please consider that real long and hard. If your kid is the only one ever born that's über responsible and mature then maybe, but honestly I would not even consider a 610 for a young guy. Something much bigger and unwieldy like a f650 990 or much smaller like a 250 would be better choices IMO.

my $.02
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either."
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
6:10 to Yuma
trials and tribulations in the Mojave
Baja Blitz Yard sale
View Current Location via Spot Tracker
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:31 PM   #24894
686 Sahara
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Thanx for the input but I wont have to worry to much because there are rules that come with the bike like not riding it unless I his father or his older brother are along for the ride until the day he proves to me he's mature enough to be on the street by himself. As for riding ability, he's been riding my 450xc for almost 4 years and clocked at almost 90 down a sand wash.
686 Sahara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 08:43 AM   #24895
singletrak
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
How often do you check your valve clearances? Mileage based (every XXXX miles) or other?

Singletrak
singletrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 01:18 PM   #24896
Ads
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by 686 Sahara View Post
I have a 990 and have just brought a 2000 te 610 and like it, very easy to ride slow and fast and its great fun and easy reach to the ground, your son will love it!
Ads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 02:29 PM   #24897
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,667
Quote:
Originally Posted by singletrak View Post
How often do you check your valve clearances? Mileage based (every XXXX miles) or other?

Singletrak

After every trip, shortest trips were about 2,000 miles. On the 610 you're keeping an eye out for widening clearances between checks. When they start getting sloppy it's time for follower rollers, cam bearings, rocker shafts and bushings. Not once in 20,000 miles did I find tighter clearances, the top end wear(looser) was always faster than seat/valve wear(tighter).
larryboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 04:07 PM   #24898
Lav1200
Pig Pen

Oddometer: 1,203
Quote:

Singletrak
Once a season (i put about about 6,000 miles on it each season). Very, very little change in clearance after 25,000 miles
Lav1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 09:22 PM   #24899
K7MDL
TE450, TE610

Oddometer: 1,552
Quote:

Singletrak
I check them every other oil change or so, or when other maintenance has the tank off. So maybe 4-6K. In almost 18K miles they have not moved much. Check your cam chain tensioner length (remove center spring first, then tensioner body, count the # teeth exposed). 10 is the spec and will cause the cam chain to start wearing on parts. Over 8 I would watch closely. The replacement cam chain has been stable at 6 for 11K miles now. Mine is an 07 also. Been totally reliable and fun. Cam chain and speedo have been the only major replacements needed other than a more comfortable seat :-)
K7MDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 09:49 PM   #24900
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by xymotic View Post
Anybody got a flywheel puller I can borrow?

Bump

OR does anybody know what model motion pro puller will fit?
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either."
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
6:10 to Yuma
trials and tribulations in the Mojave
Baja Blitz Yard sale
View Current Location via Spot Tracker
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote