Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-14-2013, 03:53 PM   #211
ssevy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 843
This article:
http://cyclenews.uberflip.com/i/114615/44
sure seems to say that this is not a run-out version to get rid of inventory. There is hope!
ssevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 05:45 AM   #212
bart802
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Triumph is losing sales on this bike in the U.S.
I also like it but am not waiting for them to make up their mind on importing it here or not. I had a 2008 ST1050 which I enjoyed, just sold a ZRX1100 and am riding a DR650. I have a KTM SMT on order now, hope it comes in soon ! It may have been a tough decision between the SMT and the sport.

gone -99 zrx1100, 08 ST 1050,03 cr250r, 03 sv1000, 05 ultra and about 22 others
bart802 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 10:02 AM   #213
Paulvt1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,523
Seems it might be around for longer than i thought.

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/Ne...er-sport-1050/
Paulvt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 11:56 AM   #214
JNRobert
Breaking Wind

Oddometer: 9,662
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulvt1 View Post

That's encouraging because this is the bike I need. I liked my 1050 a lot and the Sport is as he says a sweet spot between the Speed Triple and Tiger ranges (neither of which I want).

I love my Multi but as a daily commuter it's wearing me out and i suspect the Sport will give me the big bike performance with a softer edge than the Ducati. Please bring in Stateside, Triumph
Old 03-15-2013, 04:27 PM   #215
IndyChizzle
Spending more on gas

Oddometer: 732
Quote:
Nice video here. Don't understand a word - but the scenery and sound of the triple is worth it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=aTZK7CmeOlg
That video reminds me how much I miss that triple motor! Man I want this bike!

http://youtu.be/aTZK7CmeOlg
IndyChizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 06:57 PM   #216
Jetpilot5
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 163
Quote:

Thanks for the link, interesting reading. I like it and something like this would be in the running as a future bike for me. Don't know if there's enough people like me out there to make it happen though.
Jetpilot5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 07:09 AM   #217
ssevy
Studly Adventurer

I know I would definitely find a way to put one of these in my garage, even if it meant selling my blood.
I'm 54, and the article said this bike seems to appeal to guys my age, and I think that is correct. As a solo long distance touring machine, it seems to have a pretty low buy in cost. I could see people going in to a shop to see the Trophy and leaving with one of these instead when the sticker shock sets in. Two up long distance the Trophy would win hands down, but for weekend rides with the missus, this would be just fine. My nearest dealer thinks these would sell like hotcakes in upstate NY, and he and many of his staff would be personally interested in owning one themselves.
Old 03-16-2013, 08:05 AM   #218
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Oddometer: 16,158
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssevy View Post
I know I would definitely find a way to put one of these in my garage, even if it meant selling my blood.
I'm 54, and the article said this bike seems to appeal to guys my age, and I think that is correct. As a solo long distance touring machine, it seems to have a pretty low buy in cost. I could see people going in to a shop to see the Trophy and leaving with one of these instead when the sticker shock sets in. Two up long distance the Trophy would win hands down, but for weekend rides with the missus, this would be just fine. My nearest dealer thinks these would sell like hotcakes in upstate NY, and he and many of his staff would be personally interested in owning one themselves.
I liked the fact that Warburton said the bike doesn't really needs gizmos; and for the target market I'd bet that's true.

In fact, for 90% of street riders I bet that's true.

The price on this is less than many litre sportsbikes; it will steal sales from those imho.
IBA #40578

shine on, you crazy emo diamond
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 10:22 AM   #219
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Question: is the 1050 Tiger the only bike that Triumph don't/won't import to the USA?
IBA #40578

Old 03-16-2013, 12:52 PM   #220
IndyChizzle
Spending more on gas

Oddometer: 732
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaY YreKa View Post
Question: is the 1050 Tiger the only bike that Triumph don't/won't import to the USA?
Let's hope not! I doesn't seem like smart business to invest as much time and money into updating the bike, only to not import it to the US (unless the old Tiger 1050 and Sprint sales numbers were abyssmal). My guess is that they updated the bikes, will work out the kinks close to home (Europe only) and then release it to the US for 2014 in Fall of 2013.
IndyChizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 01:18 PM   #221
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyChizzle View Post
Let's hope not! I doesn't seem like smart business to invest as much time and money into updating the bike, only to not import it to the US (unless the old Tiger 1050 and Sprint sales numbers were abyssmal). My guess is that they updated the bikes, will work out the kinks close to home (Europe only) and then release it to the US for 2014 in Fall of 2013.
I hope so too.

It would be a shame otherwise, as I thought Triumph exported their whole line.

The Sprint GT wasn't well received, and sports-tourers are on the decline.

The Tiger Sport seems to be the answer, for Sprint/VFR800 type buyers anyway.
IBA #40578

Old 03-16-2013, 01:20 PM   #222
Croak
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 529
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaY YreKa View Post
Sorta. They continued selling the Sprint ST in UK for another year after it was dropped in favor of the Sprint GT here in North America.
Croak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 03:16 PM   #223
ssevy
Studly Adventurer

All I can tell you is the Triumph guy at the NYC show said they would not bring it here because they didn't want to "dilute" sales of the other new Tiger models. He was busy trying to steer everyone towards the new Trophy, though, so maybe that was part of it?
I don't really see this model as competing with anything else in their line myself, unless maybe the 800 roadie, and I see those bikes appealing to guys younger than myself. I haven't ridden any of the new 800 or 1200 triples, so I can't compare, but the Sprint I test rode for a friend that had a 1050 was the smoothest piece of machinery that I have ever seen. I was doing 85 MPH in places I normally do 65 MPH, and was absolutely not aware of it until I glanced at the speedometer. Really is that smooth, and this new Tiger should be even better for me, because of the more upright seating position. Let's face it, most everyone who loves their bike wouldn't complain if it had "just a little more" power. I don't think that will be an issue with this one.
Old 03-16-2013, 03:54 PM   #224
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssevy View Post
All I can tell you is the Triumph guy at the NYC show said they would not bring it here because they didn't want to "dilute" sales of the other new Tiger models. He was busy trying to steer everyone towards the new Trophy, though, so maybe that was part of it?
I don't really see this model as competing with anything else in their line myself, unless maybe the 800 roadie, and I see those bikes appealing to guys younger than myself. I haven't ridden any of the new 800 or 1200 triples, so I can't compare, but the Sprint I test rode for a friend that had a 1050 was the smoothest piece of machinery that I have ever seen. I was doing 85 MPH in places I normally do 65 MPH, and was absolutely not aware of it until I glanced at the speedometer. Really is that smooth, and this new Tiger should be even better for me, because of the more upright seating position. Let's face it, most everyone who loves their bike wouldn't complain if it had "just a little more" power. I don't think that will be an issue with this one.
Fwiw, I think it's a cultural thing.

In Europe, riders will come from 1000cc sports to bikes like the Speed Trip, Tiger, KTM SMT, Ducati Hypermotards/Monster 1100s.

They are looking for the thrills of a litre bike, with a bit more comfort.

USA riders seem to come from cruisers, so they are looking for good-enough comfort, but not that much more performance.

It's a subtle distinction, I admit (and of course over-generalised, this being a forum an' all), but that's my impression.

Or, to put it another way, no-one in the UK/Europe would call a BMW R1200T a sports-touring bike, or a Kawasaki 650R a sports bike, but americans have no trouble with that nomenclature.

(The 1200RT is a tourer, the 650R is a commuter..)
IBA #40578

RaY YreKa screwed with this post 03-16-2013 at 04:04 PM
Old 03-16-2013, 08:24 PM   #225
10/10ths
Road Trip Fool

Oddometer: 892
I'd buy one tomorrow...

...This new Tiger Sport is one of the few bikes I would trade my V-Strom in for.

2004 Honda RC51

2011 Suzuki GSX1250FA replaced my '04 Wee 2-14
10/10ths is offline   Reply With Quote