Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-15-2013, 08:26 AM   #3496
Vico1
Takin' it Easy

Oddometer: 5,313
Quote:
Originally Posted by FZcruzer View Post
I don't get it, my bike eats the low beam in the headlight in about 10 miles of street. Have gone through the original bulb and two after markets, vibration, voltage spikes, don't know. Kind of sucks to need to buy a $400 squadron to have a reliable light.
I have a 2012 500EXC with no lighting issues - however - a fellow rider has a 2013 450 xc-w (str legal) and he has the same problem. Burns out bulbs all the time? He is looking for answer also.

Anyone else know the answer or have the same problem.

You dont quit riding when you get old, you get old when you quit riding.
I don't always ride street bikes, but when I do I prefer VStroms
Vico1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 08:42 AM   #3497
Lolodesiles
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
i have had this issue on my '12

finally i find this was the socket not fully twisted clockwise because of the o-ring

add some grease on the o-ring and it fits better

no more burned bulbs since this

hope this helps ;)
Lolodesiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:03 AM   #3498
Stifdickerson2006
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill1960 View Post
I recently did a 2200km dualsport ride on the 500, highway/offroad 50/50, between 300 and 500km per day.
I found by the end of each day my throttle hand was numb from vibration and both hands were a bit sore in places.
Wheels are balanced. Using pillowtop grips.
Thats why I'm interested in the BRP rubber submount, plus I can add a scotts stabiliser later.

Would be interested to hear from those using the BRP rubber submount.

How well does it work in reducing vibration and/or provide cushioning ?
I am using the Pro Grip Rally grips, the BRP rubber sub mount, Scotts Steering Stabilizer and the Anti Vibe Bar Inserts from HDB, It may be overkill but it makes for a very smooth ride, I put it all on at once so I could not tell you which one works the best. Just did 300+ miles in two days in the desert and my hands and arms had no issues. My seperated ribs are a different story, but worth it for a good ride with good people. What I can say is that the setup I have makes for one of the smoothest riding bikes Ive had and it does not cause any hand numbness, this includes 300 mile road trips also. Another thing to look at is making sure your wheels are balanced correctly. For me, the pillow top grips always transferred alot of vibration on my old 01 ktm 453 exc, when I went to the Pro Grip Rallys on that bike it help out alot.
Old 03-15-2013, 11:31 AM   #3499
SoilSampleDave
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,320
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
interested in selling that 52T stealth?
Yes, unless, the dealer takes it back. I am trying to avoid the 1hr, 20 in drive back by finding a 48 on a local MC website, but if not, I'll have to drive back because I am racing Sunday and then hopefully he will swap. I'll let you know.

'13 350EXC-F
SoilSampleDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 12:02 PM   #3500
Nomad
High Speed Low Drag

Oddometer: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoilSampleDave View Post
Yes, unless, the dealer takes it back. I am trying to avoid the 1hr, 20 in drive back by finding a 48 on a local MC website, but if not, I'll have to drive back because I am racing Sunday and then hopefully he will swap. I'll let you know.
sweet yeah keep me posted because the 52 is exactly what I need.

Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 12:51 PM   #3501
Johnnyktm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vico1 View Post
I have a 2012 500EXC with no lighting issues - however - a fellow rider has a 2013 450 xc-w (str legal) and he has the same problem. Burns out bulbs all the time? He is looking for answer also.

Anyone else know the answer or have the same problem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolodesiles View Post
i have had this issue on my '12

finally i find this was the socket not fully twisted clockwise because of the o-ring

add some grease on the o-ring and it fits better

no more burned bulbs since this

hope this helps ;)
I purchased my 2012 exc 500 and the low beam was burned out (the high beam worked fine) and I when I drive on road I use the high beam (and it does not burn out), as it does not annoy other drivers. When/if I change the bulb to a new one I'll grease the o-ring, as per your advice
Johnnyktm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 05:02 PM   #3502
FZcruzer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 275
Thanks for the feedback on the light. I will check the "O" ring, don't even now if it is there or not.
FZcruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 05:20 PM   #3503
bill1960
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stifdickerson2006 View Post
I am using the Pro Grip Rally grips, the BRP rubber sub mount, Scotts Steering Stabilizer and the Anti Vibe Bar Inserts from HDB, It may be overkill but it makes for a very smooth ride, I put it all on at once so I could not tell you which one works the best. Just did 300+ miles in two days in the desert and my hands and arms had no issues. My seperated ribs are a different story, but worth it for a good ride with good people. What I can say is that the setup I have makes for one of the smoothest riding bikes Ive had and it does not cause any hand numbness, this includes 300 mile road trips also. Another thing to look at is making sure your wheels are balanced correctly. For me, the pillow top grips always transferred alot of vibration on my old 01 ktm 453 exc, when I went to the Pro Grip Rallys on that bike it help out alot.
Is that the 714 rally progrips ? There seems to be a few different models ?

Are the mounting bolt spacings on your HDB topclamp for the stock KTM perches, or is it a custom spacing to fit the BRP rubber mount ?
bill1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 04:22 AM   #3504
Lolodesiles
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by FZcruzer View Post
Thanks for the feedback on the light. I will check the "O" ring, don't even now if it is there or not.
if you have no o-ring here, the socket may vibrate and damage the bulb
Lolodesiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 07:41 AM   #3505
Johnnyktm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolodesiles View Post
if you have no o-ring here, the socket may vibrate and damage the bulb
Thanks, it makes sense
Johnnyktm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 09:11 AM   #3506
MJG2
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
I found a plug for evap harness connector

Once you remove the evap solenoid on a desmog you have the harness connector to deal with --many guys tape it up or put grease in it.

I was looking for a better way to cap this harness connector

After tons of searching I found a good solution

bmotorsports.com

item conn 10557 male connector and item conn 56059 cavity plug --get a few of the plugs -at least 2

just put in the red cavity plugs and this connector snaps right into the harness for a clean watertight plug
09 Kawasaki KLX250S
07 Ducati Multistrada 1100 S
MJG2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 09:41 AM   #3507
SoilSampleDave
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJG2 View Post
Once you remove the evap solenoid on a desmog you have the harness connector to deal with --many guys tape it up or put grease in it.

I was looking for a better way to cap this harness connector

After tons of searching I found a good solution

bmotorsports.com

item conn 10557 male connector and item conn 56059 cavity plug --get a few of the plugs -at least 2

just put in the red cavity plugs and this connector snaps right into the harness for a clean watertight plug
I'd like to see that, can you take a pic?

'13 350EXC-F
Old 03-16-2013, 10:56 AM   #3508
Stifdickerson2006
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill1960 View Post
Is that the 714 rally progrips ? There seems to be a few different models ?

Are the mounting bolt spacings on your HDB topclamp for the stock KTM perches, or is it a custom spacing to fit the BRP rubber mount ?
Yes the 714 are the correct grips. The hdb top clamp is the ktm stock size and fits the brp.
Old 03-16-2013, 11:04 AM   #3509
Lulu7404
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 265
map switch question

I searched this thread for map switch, and it had too many hits and threw it out.

so, I am installing the switch after getting the ecu reflashed to euro, the plug goes under the seat, check.
there are two shorter wires that can only plug into something behind the light, anyone install the switch themselves? Or a hint as two where in this monster thread to look. There are two wires available, but I don't want to just plug them in with out knowing what they are for.

Thx
Old 03-16-2013, 11:16 AM   #3510
SoilSampleDave
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoilSampleDave View Post
So, I swapped it for a 48T at the dealer and just installed. Fits fine. You *might* be able to get a 50T on there with the stock chain, but the rear tire is awfully close to the plastic shock guard with the 48. Plus, I suspect you might have to take the master link off and thread the chain on, versus just working it on. That would defeat my purpose of quick wheel swaps. I suspect the extra 3 teeth will solve my complaint about having to go back and forth between 1st and second gear in the tight stuff. I'll find out tomorrow!

'13 350EXC-F