ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West – California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-12-2012, 11:41 AM   #91
ballisticexchris
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 782
Quote:
Originally Posted by Excndez View Post
The best advice here.

At the end of the day it doesn't matter how much experience you have, esp you have, luck or whatever else if some jack hole isn't paying attention and whips over you are done- dead or worse. Why take the chance? To get there a few minutes early? I'll split traffic and always do on my 10 mile commute everyday, but it is only when the vehicles are at a stand still. I've never seen one slide sideways while sitting still. To each his own I guess.

Like riding whoops? hardly

Last I recall while riding whoops the rocks, bushes, and trees couldn't jump out in front of me.
That really about sums it up. I myself, split lanes when traffic is stopped or super slow and at red lights. I keep my speed at less than 30 mph when splitting lanes. No squidly gay hand on hip for me either.

Another thing I do at EVERY stop is hold my clutch in and keep my bike in gear.
2012 Beta 520RS PLATED!!
ballisticexchris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 01:36 PM   #92
Excndez
Girly Adventurer

Oddometer: 194
Yup! That's me, I never riddien above 2nd gear in the comforts of my own backyard going around the Elm tree and the Sweet Gum in a figure eight. The most danger I face is if the sprinklers come on and it washes off my mime face paint.

Weeee!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 340hp View Post
You must have never ridden Baja or open range Nevada single track, where all sots of things jump out into your path. I mention this while remembering some of my most unexpected riding dangers have been deer & turkey (and kangaroo) jumping across the paved road, from being hidden in roadside bush to being in my immediate path with absolutely no warning and no traffic.

Do you ride to escape concentration seeking a carefree attitude? If yes, then lane sharing is not place for you (and neither is riding forest and wooded roads at sunup and sundown, or traffic in general).

Lane sharing demands concentration and mental awareness with constant reassessment of the where you plan to place you and your bike, now, a few seconds from now, and a minute from now (riding habits that pay healthy dividends over a lifetime of riding).
1970 CT70hko x 6
Excndez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 10:20 PM   #93
scorpion
Two arm bandit

Oddometer: 5,343
Having recently moved to Nevada where lane splitting is illegal, I find little benefit from commuting to work by m/c
After 30 years of lane splitting It sux having to cue up like a common cager at stoplights.
I've become too lazy to get suited and booted and often times just hop in the truck and drive.
Theres a lot less traffic and I live close to work so I save most my riding for weekend dirt

07 KTM 990 11 Husaberg 390
scorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 07:49 AM   #94
Cannabinoid
Banned

Oddometer: 739
I split traffic like I choose to smoke. Both are a choice, both have inherent risks. If I was *scared* or concerned or whatever to split lanes, I wouldn't, but then again, I ride a fuggin motorcycle so there's not much out there that really scares me. Sure some dumb shit cage driver can take me out, but if you want controlled environments, pay the money for the track. I *AM* the guy that jams past you at the stop light splitting lanes flying. I'll pass on the right. I've rode the emergency lane for 20 miles through bumper to bumper traffic in LA. I understand and accept the risks, and if I get a ticket, I figure the average price is about $1 per violation so no biggie. See, the glass is half full.

I split lanes on the 14 passing slow mutherf'ers on my 1984 Honda xl250r. Yes, if I'm in a hurry I split lanes going 70+. In fact, it's kind of a good feeling splitting lanes doing 70+ and standing!!! See, that heavy bitch Dakar is good for one thing. Like someone else said, I am the moronic asshole idiot...but damn, I sure do have fun :)
Cannabinoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 10:39 AM   #95
RedRocket
Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer: 19,129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillum View Post
I split traffic like I choose to smoke. Both are a choice, both have inherent risks. If I was *scared* or concerned or whatever to split lanes, I wouldn't, but then again, I ride a fuggin motorcycle so there's not much out there that really scares me. Sure some dumb shit cage driver can take me out, but if you want controlled environments, pay the money for the track. I *AM* the guy that jams past you at the stop light splitting lanes flying. I'll pass on the right. I've rode the emergency lane for 20 miles through bumper to bumper traffic in LA. I understand and accept the risks, and if I get a ticket, I figure the average price is about $1 per violation so no biggie. See, the glass is half full.

I split lanes on the 14 passing slow mutherf'ers on my 1984 Honda xl250r. Yes, if I'm in a hurry I split lanes going 70+. In fact, it's kind of a good feeling splitting lanes doing 70+ and standing!!! See, that heavy bitch Dakar is good for one thing. Like someone else said, I am the moronic asshole idiot...but damn, I sure do have fun :)

I've been holding my tongue.
RedRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 05:41 PM   #96
mikeyairtime
n00b

Oddometer: 4
There are old lane splitters and bold land splitters but no old bold lane splitters. I split, it's the whole advantage of riding in LA. I don't go more than about 10ish mph through stopped cars, merge in as soon as it starts rolling and carefully pick and choose my splits when cars are moving. My bars are slim, my mirrors are tucked in and I,m careful. I'm a moto racer so I know what happens when my handlebar clips something solidly, instant faceplant. It's a zero tolerance deal. There's lot's of people who don't split, specially the big full dressers.
mikeyairtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 09:22 PM   #97
Windrat
just a poser

Oddometer: 1,980
this is some good reading

spilting is not fun i do it when needed
i have had trucks cut me off a few times it's eazy to get pissed off
sometimes when i know the highway is a parking lot i take the the foothill roads and stay happy
Old 10-14-2012, 07:31 AM   #98
Cannabinoid
Banned

Oddometer: 739
fixed

Cannabinoid screwed with this post 11-05-2013 at 08:17 PM
Cannabinoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 09:57 AM   #99
luv2race
Confused

Oddometer: 2,311
I split at every light, whether the cars are moving or waiting at the red. If they are a foot or 2 apart, I'll look for options like going around the back of a car to the next lane over depending which bike I'm riding. If traffic is doing 75 on the freeway (not carpool lane) and a couple of jack off's are doing 65 next to each other with no sign of moving, I'll split 'em. If traffic is moving but not at least the speed limit on city streets, I'll split 'em. If traffic is moving at the speed limit but not MY speed limit, I'll split 'em. There are very few places I wouldn't split in moving traffic but only for legalities (speeding), like riding through any small town on the 395.

I guess I'm old at 50, but I've been riding on the street since I was 15 so I am comfortable in most traffic. I KNOW that anything can happen at anytime, especially with all the distractions people have when they drive. Phones, eating, make-up, rockin out, being pissed off, missing an exit, etc all contribute to people doing erratic maneuvers that can ruin your day. Just be on your toes, very attentive to your surroundings, and careful when cars leave a gap.
Old 10-14-2012, 12:21 PM   #100
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,316
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2race View Post
I split at every light, whether the cars are moving or waiting at the red. If they are a foot or 2 apart, I'll look for options like going around the back of a car to the next lane over depending which bike I'm riding. If traffic is doing 75 on the freeway (not carpool lane) and a couple of jack off's are doing 65 next to each other with no sign of moving, I'll split 'em. If traffic is moving but not at least the speed limit on city streets, I'll split 'em. If traffic is moving at the speed limit but not MY speed limit, I'll split 'em. There are very few places I wouldn't split in moving traffic but only for legalities (speeding), like riding through any small town on the 395.

>snip

+1
Old 10-14-2012, 01:05 PM   #101
Idle
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 590
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBob View Post
I'm about to visit the great state of California and I've never ridden where lane splitting is allowed. What do I need to be aware of to be a successful lane-splitter?
Mind you, I'll be on a fat-assed Concours so I don't plan to be squirting in and out of narrow spaces.
Split in the CA motorcycle lane between the #1 and #2 lanes only.
Ride in a gear that allows you to accelerate quickly if the gap is closing.
Cover the brake.
Move around slightly while filtering in slowing traffic. People might see you.
Watch for other bikes when leaving a lane to split.
If you don't make it to the front stay where you are as traffic starts moving, then pull in to whichever lane isn't occupied.
There's no need to pull in front of the car in the front of the line unless a bike is following you.
Don't do it if you're not at 100%
If a car moves over for you, give em a wave if it's safe to do so.
Idle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 01:15 PM   #102
PhilB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,326
Quote:
Originally Posted by marbee40 View Post
... I would agree that you're elevating your risk significantly by lane-sharing amongst moving vehicles vice those stopped.
Well, no. If you follow the guidelines the CHP generally spreads (not more than about 10mph faster than traffic, and traffic not more than 40mph, then it is safer to split lanes on the highway than to sit in line and risk getting sandwiched.

PhilB
1993 Ducati M900 Monster "Patina" (230,000 miles, so far) -- 1995 Ducati M900 (wife's bike) -- 1972 Honda CB450 (daughter's bike) -- 1979 Vespa P200 (daughter's scoot) -- 1967 Alfa Romeo GT Jr. (1300cc) -- 1964 Vespa GS160 (160cc 2-stroke) -- 1962 Maicoletta scooter (275cc 2-stroke) -- 1960 Heinkel Tourist 103A1 scooter "Elroy" (175cc 4-stroke)
PhilB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 10:24 AM   #103
K. L. Rocket
Big bouncy make big happy

Oddometer: 937
More progress:

"...the Motorcycle Handbook had been updated... The handbook now says, “Lane splitting should not be performed by inexperienced riders,” and gives several safety tips echoing the CHP guidelines but never acknowledging that the practice is legal.

That’s not a rousing endorsement of the finding in some recent research by accident analyst James V. Ouellet concluding that it’s safer for a motorcyclist to split lanes on the freeway than not. Ouellet concedes that his research is not definitive, owing to the age and small size of his data, which were collected in the 1970s and consist of only 900 accidents.

A more robust study is underway at UC Berkeley’s Safe Transportation Research & Education Center. The CHP is working with Research Epidemiologist Tom Rice to document the circumstances of every motorcycle accident it investigates over a year. The data collection is almost done. Rice said he expects to have findings by summer or fall that may once and for all answer the question, “Is lane-splitting safe?”

Meanwhile, anyone dropping into a DMV office for the next few months to pick up the official California Motorcycle Handbook will still get the old story. The 2013 version of the handbook with the new language is expected to be available in April."
http://www.latimes.com/business/auto...tory?track=rss

[QUOTE=Roadracer_Al;19765342]We have enough PR problems without perpetuating misinformation or misrepresentation of the law.[/QUOTE]

Quote:
Originally Posted by K. L. Rocket View Post
That's CA DMV's job.

"Motorcycles may travel faster than traffic during congested road conditions and can legally travel in the unused space between two lines of moving or stationary vehicles; this is commonly called “lane splitting".”
http://apps.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/dl600.pdf

"So if the traffic situation allows, the center lane position is usually the best place for you to be seen by
the driver ahead and to prevent lane sharing by others."
http://apps.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/dl655/dl665mcycle.pdf

"Vehicles and motorcycles each need a full lane to operate safely. Lane sharing is not safe."

"Discourage lane sharing by others."

K. L. Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote