Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Racing
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-16-2013, 02:22 PM   #46
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 25,735
It might fill up with fast guys before I even get a check in the mail but it sounds Awesome!
Old 03-21-2013, 09:28 AM   #47
Baja Dad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,909
43 days !!!!!!!
Get that DEPOSIT READY !!!

WHO will grab the coveted starting numbers????????
Old 03-21-2013, 10:45 AM   #48
Off Road Ryder
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,333
That looks like a blast! Thanks for providing the opportunity.
www.cyclopsadventuresports.com
1-800-624-0278
Off Road Ryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 03:21 PM   #49
Baja Dad
Beastly Adventurer

36 days!!!
Check in hand !!
Old 04-04-2013, 09:00 PM   #50
Scotty Breauxman OP
Baja Breaux

Oddometer: 335
Rally bulletin- gps requirement

http://www.bajarallymoto.com
ERENDIRA, BAJA CA, MEXICO- With only 30 days remaining until online registration, BAJA RALLY organizers have announced the details surrounding the mandatory GPS requirements for all riders participating in the inaugural BAJA RALLY.

All participants in the BAJA RALLY are responsible for recording their tracks as they navigate each stage of the RALLY. This is for course compliance purposes and is the sole responsibility of each participant. The rally organizer needs to evaluate the route that each participant traveled compared to the actual course so we can verify the participant followed the correct route. Upon registration and technical inspection on Friday October 4th, each participant must deliver their GPS unit to the organizer. A sticker with the participant’s information will be affixed to the device and it will be “cleared out”. GPS units will be returned to each participant just prior to the first stage. At the finished of each day’s timed stage, the organizer will collect each GPS device. This bulletin will address many of the questions and concerns that participants may have.

Recommended GPS units:
GARMIN 60, 62, 76, 78 (all variations of these)
Trail Tech Voyager (organizer will collect the micro SD Flash Card from such devices)

*Please note that participants will need a device to display their “cap heading” for any off-trail navigation and to confirm they are traveling in the correct direction coming out of selected course notes. Therefore, any GPS unit which displays the numeric “cap heading” in a large, viewable format is favored over units which have the numeric “cap heading” in smaller, harder to read format.

*LOWRANCE- (organizer will collect the micro SD Flash Card from such devices). These devices are not preferable for compliance but may still work for participants. However, any participant who uses the a LOWRANCE is obligated to either:
A) Assist the organizer in converting the .usr file to a .gpx file after each stage.
B) Assist the organizer in opening a GOOGLE EARTH file of his/her tracks after each stage.

*Very simply, we are trying to make sure we can see where you went so that you can be given a bona fide timing score for each stage. Significant deviations from the actual route will result in time penalties of various durations at the sole discretion of the organizer.

Frequently Asked Questions:
Q: What if I break my GPS, it runs out of batteries or I lose my GPS?
A: You will get a minimum 4-hour penalty for the stage (subject to change)

Q: If I fail to record my tracks for any reason, can I still continue in the rally?
A: Yes, even if you have a failure and consequential penalty, you will be able to continue in the rally on successive stages.

Q: Can I show up to the rally without a GPS unit and simply take the penalties each day? A: No. Each participant must leave the start of each stage with a functioning GPS unit.

Q: Are there any other purposes for the GPS requirement?
A: Yes. The rally organizer may, at its sole discretion, give each participant a small piece of paper with GPS waypoints (and corresponding descriptions) printed on it at the beginning of each stage. These waypoints are to aid a participant toward an extraction point, highway or to help the participant get back onto the proper route.

Q: Can any of these guidelines change and is it likely they will?
A: Yes. These guidelines can change but it is not very likely.

Finally, the rally organizer chose to use this GPS requirement in the inaugural BAJA RALLY to keep compliance costs down for the participants and organizers alike. It may seem archaic compared to currently available technology, but the cost is low. While the organizer has the task of verifying each participant’s tracks against the actual course on Google Earth after each day’s stages, the burden of recording the tracks falls solely on the shoulders of each participant.

Inquiries about the GPS requirement can be made directly to BAJA RALLY at bajarally@gmail.com

Scotty Breauxman screwed with this post 04-04-2013 at 09:19 PM
Scotty Breauxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 09:42 PM   #51
Motorfiets
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,997

I'm getting excited!!!!!!!
Old 04-05-2013, 12:32 PM   #52
KZJohn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 331
Scotty B, you have to be encouraged by all the interest generated by this event. Personaly I think it is a long time coming and will be camped out at my keyboard for one of the coveted spots come May 5th.
Team Hammernutrition/T&S Motorsports
KZJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 09:30 AM   #53
Scotty Breauxman OP
Baja Breaux

Absolutely. We are all very encouraged by the excitement surrounding this first BAJA RALLY, especially here in Mexico with our partners welcoming the idea of something new that can grow into a much bigger event. Everyone involved wants to make a rally that we can all be proud to be part of.
Old 04-06-2013, 11:03 AM   #54
kenaroo
I am because i ride

Oddometer: 828
I'm on the list

I'm in.. just need to get my better half approval (or understanding that I'm going) and send in payment

Bike?

Build a new XR 680 Rally with Kenaroo Fairing?!
Or
Build up one of my Betas with a new fairing design.

probably do The Beta as I have multiple spare tires etc..

what does your garage look like
http://www.garage-interiors.com

kenaroo screwed with this post 04-06-2013 at 06:07 PM
kenaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 09:10 PM   #55
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,099
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenaroo View Post
I'm in.. just need to get my better half approval (or understanding that I'm going) and send in payment

Bike?

Build a new XR 680 Rally with Kenaroo Fairing?!
Or
Build up one of my Betas with a new fairing design.

probably do The Beta as I have multiple spare tires etc..
You mean

I used to say "one day" a lot. But then I got scared I would wait one day too long. So I am doing it all now
beechum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 12:16 PM   #56
Scotty Breauxman OP
Baja Breaux

2 week countdown to priority registration

An email went out to the 30 riders who are on the "reserved" list to register for the Inaugural BAJA RALLY on May 5th in 2 weeks

The BAJA RALLY will be held October 4-6 in Northern Baja CA

***if you want to participate in the BAJA RALLY, there is a standby waiting list which, at this moment, is relatively short. We recommend getting your name on that list ASAP if you have any interest in being a participant in the first ever "road book-navigation-based" motorcycle rally-raid in BAJA CA.

You can do so by clicking here http://www.bajarallymoto.com/contact.html
Old 04-29-2013, 08:45 PM   #57
guymanbro
da Vermonster

Oddometer: 1,434
General Questions

How many miles per day should be expected - the only mention I saw of mileage was to have a range of at least 80 miles and to show up for the SS with a full tank, so I get that the SS will be 80 miles or less, but what about overall mileage?

Tech inspection is in a TBD location in Enseneda, so I assume the start is as well. Will the finish be in the same location or somewhere else?

Will there be any "Spectator friendly" areas along the route (even if it is a liaison) that chase vehicles/support crews can get to in order to watch their riders come through and maybe snap a couple of pics? I know this is tricky as the route is to be kept a closely guarded secret until the night before.

It is indicated that there should be no assistance to riders on course, is there any limitation to the support provided at the bivouac at the end of each day or can crews work on the bikes from the moment a rider arrives until he is scheduled to leave?

I only ask because I keep getting asked these questions and "I don't know" is good enough for me, but not so much for the family. . .

thanks,

fIRST aMERICAN cHAPTER tEAM nONGA
guymanbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 03:28 PM   #58
pilo
Rhymes with below

Oddometer: 886
Same Q's as those above plus two more.

1) If I come down solo will there be a chase vehicle that I can put a box of tools/parts for doing work in the evening?

2) Anyone else from UT on south planning on riding? Ride share/chase share a possibility?
pilo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 03:36 PM   #59
Baja Dad
Beastly Adventurer

We could work out the support truck for you

QUOTE=pilo;21302987]Same Q's as those above plus two more.

1) If I come down solo will there be a chase vehicle that I can put a box of tools/parts for doing work in the evening?

2) Anyone else from UT on south planning on riding? Ride share/chase share a possibility?[/QUOTE]
Old 05-02-2013, 05:24 PM   #60
Scotty Breauxman OP
Baja Breaux

Quote:
Originally Posted by guymanbro View Post
How many miles per day should be expected - the only mention I saw of mileage was to have a range of at least 80 miles and to show up for the SS with a full tank, so I get that the SS will be 80 miles or less, but what about overall mileage?

Tech inspection is in a TBD location in Enseneda, so I assume the start is as well. Will the finish be in the same location or somewhere else?

Will there be any "Spectator friendly" areas along the route (even if it is a liaison) that chase vehicles/support crews can get to in order to watch their riders come through and maybe snap a couple of pics? I know this is tricky as the route is to be kept a closely guarded secret until the night before.

It is indicated that there should be no assistance to riders on course, is there any limitation to the support provided at the bivouac at the end of each day or can crews work on the bikes from the moment a rider arrives until he is scheduled to leave?

I only ask because I keep getting asked these questions and "I don't know" is good enough for me, but not so much for the family. . .

thanks,

We expect the overall route miles per day to be approximately 150 mi. including neutralization and/or liaison sections. It is not accurate that the “specials” will be 80 miles or less. It could very well be a timed special of 150 miles with a neutralization zone. BAJA RALLY is providing gas so participants do not have to “worry” about that element. The navigation aspect, alone, will be the main focus for participants.

The start of the first special (Saturday Oct 5) will be within an 80 mile range north east or south of Ensenada. The finish will be within 20 miles of San Quintin on Sunday October 6th.

Participants will have the option of riding their bikes or being transported (by their own means) to the beginning of the first stage.

No. Photo points are strictly reserved and intended for BAJA RALLY media partners. There is no plan to have any spectator friendly areas.

There is no limit to the amount of support or the time needed to provide support in the bivouac.