User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-16-2013, 01:36 PM   #1
mixermsk OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
Eh? Stupid questions about Wings

Hi. I have stupid questions about the Wings exhaust. I installed NOS to my 990 Adv, but badly read the installation manual and did not make clean before installation.
After the first long run the engine (about 10-15 minutes on low / medium revs - stopped when the fan is turned on) there was a light smoke from the exhaust for 10-15 minutes. I've already wrote a message to Gorazd Marovic, but I suspect I will get an answer here faster. I have two questions:

1. Could the silencers damaged by this?
2. Should I remove the silencers and clean or am I going to have to wait until the dirt burned?
mixermsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 02:20 PM   #2
Katoom72
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 822
It's normal, my new Superduke R smoked like mad out of the exhaust when i let it cool off for the forst time.
Everything is new and some material left over from manufacturing wil burn and cause some 'aftersmoking'.
'00 KTM 250sx -- '03 KTM 450sx -- '03 Yamaha R6 -- '08 KTM SuperDuke R --- '13 KTM 690 enduro R
Katoom72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 02:39 PM   #3
pdxmotorhead
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 476
LOL,, for a second when I read this I thought you'd installed Nitrous Oxide on a 990..... I was thinking Holy s*** tha'ts gonna be a handfull...

The re-read its New Old Stock...

Dave
pdxmotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 02:24 AM   #4
mixermsk OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katoom72 View Post
It's normal, my new Superduke R smoked like mad out of the exhaust when i let it cool off for the forst time.
Everything is new and some material left over from manufacturing wil burn and cause some 'aftersmoking'.
Excellent! And when it stops? :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxmotorhead View Post
LOL,, for a second when I read this I thought you'd installed Nitrous Oxide on a 990..... I was thinking Holy s*** tha'ts gonna be a handfull...

The re-read its New Old Stock...

Dave

P.S. NOS - is variant of Wings pipes - Non Oval Section. :)
mixermsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 09:06 AM   #5
el queso
toda su base

Oddometer: 621
Quote:
Originally Posted by mixermsk View Post
Hi. I have stupid questions about the Wings exhaust. I installed NOS to my 990 Adv, but badly read the installation manual and did not make clean before installation.
After the first long run the engine (about 10-15 minutes on low / medium revs - stopped when the fan is turned on) there was a light smoke from the exhaust for 10-15 minutes. I've already wrote a message to Gorazd Marovic, but I suspect I will get an answer here faster. I have two questions:

1. Could the silencers damaged by this?
2. Should I remove the silencers and clean or am I going to have to wait until the dirt burned?
If mine came with instructions I didn't read them, and I didn't clean them before installation. I'm sure the smoke is just junk from the manufacturing process burning off. Nothing to worry about.
el queso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 09:11 AM   #6
Florida Lime
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,999
The instructions tell you to wipe down the cans before starting the bike, or the greasy fingerprints may burn into the outer muffler skin.
There is usually some smoking from inside as already mentioned, so I'd just wipe down the outside now if you are concerned, and not worry about it.
'08 Ducati Hypermotard 1100S -- Going, http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...ht=Hypermotard
Florida Lime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 02:39 PM   #7
bajarider1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
The same thing happened to mine but stopped smoking after that first cool down. But one thing I have to say about my Wings is that I love them. Great on the fit and finish and super service and oh, love that sound!
bajarider1 is offline   Reply With Quote