Oddometer: 4,040
Quote:
Originally Posted by vander View Post
It was even better in Zaire.

http://youtu.be/Iw5u1RmEyTg
Great stuff, thanks

Friendship is like peeing your pants, everyone can see it, but only you
can feel the true warmth.: wisdom by ??

Reverse Darwinism...he's only alive because he's to stupid to die. : wisdom by AZRamjet

06 Husky TE510
Ruffus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 07:56 PM   #77
scobes
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
Dakar challenge is back and includes a combined event in the baja 500 and reno race. Australsian Safari competitors also get another go at it.
scobes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 03:01 AM   #78
tehdutchie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,699
Quote:
“Having the Challenge at Safari will bring enthusiasm, passion, and the Dakar fever throughout Australia and the Asia Pacific region.”

Last year, only those competing in Safari’s MOTO category were eligible for the Dakar Challenge. For 2013, amateur AUTO competitors will also have their shot at a free Dakar entry.

Other events chosen to form the Dakar Challenge calendar are: Tecate Score Baja 500 in Mexico, Desafio Ruta 40 in Argentina, Toyota Kalahari Botswana 1000 Desert Race in Botswana and Reno 500 in USA.
http://www.dakar.com/dakar/2013/us/s...ge-report.html
Old 03-12-2013, 10:10 AM   #79
Mad Cow
Dakar Addict!

Oddometer: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruffus View Post
That's pretty cool. Had no idea the Camel Trophy also did bikes. I used to follow the Land Rover series way back when every chance I got in magazines.
That's the "Camel Marathon" a completely different event to the "Camel Trophy" and never acheived the same level of worldwide publicity as the four wheeled event.
MY BLOG
Mad Cow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 11:07 AM   #80
charapa
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 393
[QUOTE=Bluebull2007;20897962
Dont think it will be in the USA, its not a free country anymore. (sorry guys)

South America is is and thats where it will stay I reckon for at least another 3-5 years.[/QUOTE]

BB,

I agree that the USA is changing into something we will soon not recognize! Even tho we have a home there, wifey and I are moving to Peru to dedicate full time to the moto tours...

Eagerly waiting (with bated breath ) the truth that will come on March 21st!

Cheers!

"Those friends thou hast... and their adoption tried... grapple them to thy soul with hoops of steel. But do not dull thy palm with entertainment of each new-hatch'd, unfledg'd comrade...." Polonius in Hamlet
charapa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 02:57 PM   #81
charapa
Gnarly Adventurer

This just out!

Looks like Peru will be part of the Dakar Series this year!

http://www.andina.com.pe/Espanol/not...13-451226.aspx

October 3 to 6, 2013 in the dunes and mountains of the department of Ica, Peru it will take place. Great news for those of us who live and work in Peru!

Guess who is going to organize a 1-week budget ride to take it in?? Any takers? ONLY for ADV inmates!

Toby

"Those friends thou hast... and their adoption tried... grapple them to thy soul with hoops of steel. But do not dull thy palm with entertainment of each new-hatch'd, unfledg'd comrade...." Polonius in Hamlet
Old 03-20-2013, 05:03 AM   #82
zolo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
Well here it is...

http://www.dakar.com/dakar/2014/docs/parcours-carte.pdf

No Peru.

Argentina , Bolivia, Chile.....

This looks very awesome...
zolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 05:31 AM   #83
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,930
Quote:
Originally Posted by zolo View Post
http://www.dakar.com/dakar/2014/docs/parcours-carte.pdf

No Peru.

Argentina , Bolivia, Chile.....

This looks very awesome...
Im very disapointed that it covers such a small piece of South America, but delighted that Bolivia is in. Bolivia must be one of the best places to ride on earth.

Im also happy about the marathon stages, but looking at that route I have to say that the Dakar has lost a lot of its allure...for me any way.
Bluebull2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 07:26 AM   #84
charapa
Gnarly Adventurer

No Peru!?

Wow! No Peru!

That makes it very difficult (being based in Peru) to organize a trip to pick up part of the Dakar. Hmnnn.... Will have to think on this one a bit...

VERY happy for Bolivia tho! I plan to be riding in Bolivia thru the summer of 2014... maybe I should go to the Dakar in Bolivia in January and just leave my bikes there..

Anyone wanna help??

Old 05-15-2013, 01:16 PM   #85
charapa
Gnarly Adventurer

Dakar 2015 news

from http://www.motoryracing.com/dakar/no...no-dakar-2015/

The months ranging from one edition of the Dakar to the next game are much. In this period of nearly a year should determine the route of the next edition, the countries that will be involved in the test in future years and start working in different organisational aspects so that everything works to perfection. However, the Dakar Rally has not started too well the period between 2013 and 2014 editions and even though we have the full stroke of the next edition in the absence of determine the exact route, Chile has not given good news.

As I discussed, archaeologists Association, Chile has put many drawbacks to the stages of the Dakar that pass through soil in this country and it seems that unfortunately they were not the only ones. While the 2014 Edition is already defined and will pass by Argentina, Chile and Bolivia, seems that you ASO has received the refusal by Ecuador to host the 2015 Edition. It seems that the Government of Ecuador after receiving a formal proposal by the organizers of the Dakar through the ministries of tourism, sport and heritage coordination has rejected this proposal.

The reasons put forward by the experts of these ministries who have studied the proposal have been very similar to which have resulted in the school of archaeologists from Chile to file a complaint against the Dakar. In fact, a time more the school of archaeologists, in this case from Ecuador, has had much to say about the refusal of this proposal, which also has not convinced leaders of Ecuador to take into account the environmental and visual impact that could have the celebration of this test of large dimensions in their lands.

2014 already on the horizon

While the future of the future editions of the Dakar is defined with Brazil playing in order to test giving a touch more exotic and jungle and leaving behind a more deserted part, the truth is that the only thing that is clear is the Dakar 2014 Edition as mentioned will pass by Argentina, Chile and Bolivia has already begun its enrollment period and future competitors who want to can start forming the lists of the the world hardest RAID.

Old 05-15-2013, 01:48 PM   #86
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,175
Summation: queremos más dinero.
Mention to HogWild which way the wind is blowing where you're at, wait 20 minutes, and he'll post a picture of the intersection your at and a Google Earth route of how to get there.
beechum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 02:09 PM   #87
Baja Dad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,832
Quote:
Originally Posted by beechum1 View Post
summation: Queremos más dinero.
say what ??????????????????
Old 05-15-2013, 06:36 PM   #88
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,930
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baja Dad View Post
say what ??????????????????
Baja dad's are supposed to hablar Espanol.

He means he thinks they want more money.

I'm quite surprised by the response of Ecuador. They must be smoking something to give up on an opportunity like that.
Bluebull2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 07:02 PM   #89
SafariBerg OP
Oz Safari Addict

Oddometer: 2,925
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebull2007 View Post

I'm quite surprised by the response of Ecuador. They must be smoking something to give up on an opportunity like that.
The current government in Ecuador is very pro-green and has massive support from the people, the elections earlier this year were a landslide again, and they are being very tough with mining companies on environmental items and plan on getting even tougher etc............so doesn't surprise me
Old 05-15-2013, 07:02 PM   #90
charapa
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebull2007 View Post
Baja dad's are supposed to hablar Espanol.

He means he thinks they want more money.

Yes, they DO grow it in Ecuador