ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-16-2013, 02:23 PM   #57451
ruppster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 714
2005 450EXC 28.0 hours 443 miles.

Hadn't been started in two years, valves never adjusted. I think it was full of Stabil, though. Pretty sure I adjusted the valves right, followed the YouTube video. Backed them off, put a 0.050 shim in (oops, meant .005) , & tightened back down, then pulled the feeler out. After initial start-up, it starts with one kick. I does have a decel pop, but its all stock, I'm not sure if that's the norm... I'll have to do some reading.
It was crashed hard & not ridden much after so it's scratched up more that the pic shows and the bars are tweaked. The price was really right for no more hours than it has. Now for some risers, bars, hand guards, & a dual sport kit...
Hopefully get to try some organized dual sports & enduro riding.

BTW Indypup, there is absolutely no comparison with the WRR power wise. I can get front wheel of the WRR up a little in 2nd, but it doesn't like it. With this 450 1st is stupid, 2nd is crazy, & you'd better have your weight over the front wheel if you twist it wide open in 3rd. It's kind of silly, makes me smile for sure.

ruppster screwed with this post 03-16-2013 at 03:56 PM
ruppster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 02:31 PM   #57452
Gonzo_Matt
Random Hero

Oddometer: 2,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruppster View Post
2005 450EXC 28.0 hours 443 miles.

Hadn't been started in two years, valves never adjusted. I think it was full of Stabil, though. Pretty sure I adjusted the valves right, followed the YouTube video. Backed them off, put a 0.050 shim in, & tightened back down, then pulled the feeler out. After initial start-up, it starts with one kick. I does have a decel pop, but its all stock, I'm not sure if that's the norm... I'll have to do some reading.
It was crashed hard & not ridden much after so it's scratched up more that the pic shows and the bars are tweaked. The price was really right for no more hours than it has. Now for some risers, bars, hand guards, & a dual sport kit...
Hopefully get to try some organized dual sports & enduro riding.

BTW Indypup, there is absolutely no comparison with the WRR power wise. I can make the WRR do second gear wheelies, but it doesn't like it. With this 450 1st is stupid, 2nd is crazy, & you'd better have your weight over the front wheel if you twist it wide open in 3rd. It's kind of silly, makes me smile for sure.
They are fun aren't they? Compared to the WRR there is none...

My VW Double Cab Truck Build thread
Gonzo_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 03:14 PM   #57453
jrockrat
Random Hippie

Oddometer: 323
It was good to meet you and Wyatt. I think your nephew and yourself will enjoy the bike.
Hopefully soon we'll be meet up on a ride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzo_Matt View Post
Wyatt and I had the opportunity to meet Jason (Jrockrat) and his lovely wife today, and a bonus was I brought home a CRF 80 for my nephew.....it's going to live at my house though for "safekeeping" . Thanks again Jason, and Wyatt wants to know when he can come back...

I took it on a lap around the pond and talk about a good time....I might get it plated and toss it on the back of my bus for campground shenanigans....
Old 03-16-2013, 03:27 PM   #57454
Danjal
Insert wit here.

Oddometer: 2,285
Nice lookin set of wheels ruppster.
Danjal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 04:33 PM   #57455
Whitey1
"Whitebread"

Oddometer: 10,017
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeefZah View Post
Does it still have the skidplate made from an old shovel?
Quote:
I think it was maybe a road sign or a dryer door pilfered from rent a center....
Best $5 I ever spent.
Whitey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 04:46 PM   #57456
sion
sigh-own

Oddometer: 3,486
so, instead of going to the gun show in Marietta today, I went to Buckeye Outdoors in Hebron. Place was busy, but I was able to get service in under an hour. Looked at several pieces before finally settling on this:

SD40 VE and a box of ammo, out the door for $379.

cant wait to shoot it...who's up for some target practice tomorrow?

whats the value of good gear?: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...ostcount=49301
sion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 04:48 PM   #57457
indypup
╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

Oddometer: 3,211
Quote:
Originally Posted by sion View Post
so, instead of going to the gun show in Marietta today, I went to Buckeye Outdoors in Hebron. Place was busy, but I was able to get service in under an hour. Looked at several pieces before finally settling on this:

SD40 VE and a box of ammo, out the door for $379.

cant wait to shoot it...who's up for some target practice tomorrow?
Guess what Luke, Lisa, and I did this afternoon? I think that's looks like Luke's new gun. I got a black scary looking rifle.
Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist hangs his head out the window! Be real, be whole, be innovative.
indypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 04:51 PM   #57458
Danjal
Insert wit here.

The sigmas have hands down the worst trigger of any production pistol I've ever used. Good news is they've been rumored to do free trigger work on them under warranty. Congrats on your purchase.
Old 03-16-2013, 04:53 PM   #57459
mpenner
Heavy Cruiser

Oddometer: 788
Quote:
And one last post whore......If anyone is interested in a clean 2007 KLR 650, I'm maybe looking to part with mine. 13k miles, bought new by Whitey, new sprockets and chain, two brothers pipe, Moose hand guards, skidplate, 50% tires, Dakar sticker.....$2300 to an inmate here, I don't have to sell it, but if someone buys it, it will motivate me to buy a Tiger or Strom...

Is this yours as well?

http://columbus.craigslist.org/mcy/3683705831.html

I recognize that picture. I think that was the inaugural ride for you on that bike if I recall correctly.

2001 KLR 650
2003 V-Strom DL1000
mpenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 04:56 PM   #57460
Gonzo_Matt
Random Hero

Oddometer: 2,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpenner View Post
Is this yours as well?

http://columbus.craigslist.org/mcy/3683705831.html

I recognize that picture. I think that was the inaugural ride for you on that bike if I recall correctly.
yes and yes.

Blowout pricing on the KTM, ho hum pricing on the KLR as I don't want to sell it unless it is being replaced with a more street oriented ride. I finally got my garage clean, and there are too many damn bikes I don't ride in there.

My VW Double Cab Truck Build thread
Gonzo_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 05:01 PM   #57461
buildit
Guns, bikes and Bows

Oddometer: 13,982
Quote:
Originally Posted by indypup View Post
Guess what Luke, Lisa, and I did this afternoon? I think that's looks like Luke's new gun. I got a black scary looking rifle.
Yep, same gun but mine was $20 less. On the plus side I really like mine Sion and I bet you will also
2006 KLR650
2001 YX426 (street Legal)
buildit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 05:07 PM   #57462
sion
sigh-own

Oddometer: 3,486
Quote:
Originally Posted by buildit View Post
Yep, same gun but mine was $20 less. On the plus side I really like mine Sion and I bet you will also

gun was $329, box of ammo was $20 and tax made up the rest...$379 was out the door price for everything

whats the value of good gear?: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...ostcount=49301
sion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 06:11 PM   #57463
swingset
Got the knack.

Oddometer: 10,759
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danjal View Post
The sigmas have hands down the worst trigger of any production pistol I've ever used. Good news is they've been rumored to do free trigger work on them under warranty. Congrats on your purchase.
Yup, I sent a Sigma back to Smith and they improved the trigger.

The new Sigmas are actually very good guns, the old ones not so much. It's a tank, not sexy or sleek, but they work.

swingset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 06:20 PM   #57464
buildit
Guns, bikes and Bows

Oddometer: 13,982
Quote:
Originally Posted by sion View Post
gun was $329, box of ammo was $20 and tax made up the rest...$379 was out the door price for everything
In that case you got the better deal by $40 on the firearm. But mine is better, because it's mine. 50 Rounds thru it now and it fired very accurately once I got on target.
2006 KLR650
2001 YX426 (street Legal)
buildit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 06:25 PM   #57465
Danjal
Insert wit here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swingset View Post
Yup, I sent a Sigma back to Smith and they improved the trigger.

The new Sigmas are actually very good guns, the old ones not so much. It's a tank, not sexy or sleek, but they work.
It's that damn 2 piece trigger is one of the major culprits. But as far as accuracy and durability they're good pistols. But the trigger alone turns what can be a good or great platform into a mediocre one.