ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-09-2013, 07:49 PM   #1
Yam2Yam2 OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Oddometer: 22
Easy way to quiet any muffler

Hey, guys and gals.

As have many of you, I've been modifying mufflers for more power, and in three cases, modifying for less noise. I think I've hit on the easiest mod, while still keeping power output high.

Many years ago, I gutted a tall spraycan, and built my own add-on can, with fiberglass packing, and a screen-door wire mesh inner pipe. Now-clearly we don't want to do that on our WRr's, but I found that placing curves in the inner wire mesh (IE not a straight tube) massively reduced the bark of that two-stroke.

That led to tonight's very quick test. I had 1/4" wire mesh on hand. I cut a length of 4 feet by 4 inches. I then tapered 3 of those feet from 1 inch wide to 4 inches wide. When rolled into a two-inch roll, this gave me a cone-shaped interior. It has a shape similar to looking into the spark arrestor.

When placed inside my brand-new and very loud PC4 muffler, so that the cone is widest toward the engine, the nasty sharp-edged bark at WOT is reduced very greatly. There's still a nice low rumble, which I believe means I've still got good flow. (It's raining snow, so I won't be riding for a while yet...)

I'll be making a slightly longer version tomorrow, and plan to take picks and a before and after video. I'll use my Radio Shack DB meter, too.

I hope that this mod will give me appropriately quiet street operation, and still give me the power boost that I want.
Yam2Yam2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 08:11 PM   #2
Blue&Yellow
but orange inside...
 
Blue&Yellow's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Sweden
Oddometer: 754
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yam2Yam2 View Post
Hey, guys and gals.

As have many of you, I've been modifying mufflers for more power, and in three cases, modifying for less noise. I think I've hit on the easiest mod, while still keeping power output high.

Many years ago, I gutted a tall spraycan, and built my own add-on can, with fiberglass packing, and a screen-door wire mesh inner pipe. Now-clearly we don't want to do that on our WRr's, but I found that placing curves in the inner wire mesh (IE not a straight tube) massively reduced the bark of that two-stroke.

That led to tonight's very quick test. I had 1/4" wire mesh on hand. I cut a length of 4 feet by 4 inches. I then tapered 3 of those feet from 1 inch wide to 4 inches wide. When rolled into a two-inch roll, this gave me a cone-shaped interior. It has a shape similar to looking into the spark arrestor.

When placed inside my brand-new and very loud PC4 muffler, so that the cone is widest toward the engine, the nasty sharp-edged bark at WOT is reduced very greatly. There's still a nice low rumble, which I believe means I've still got good flow. (It's raining snow, so I won't be riding for a while yet...)

I'll be making a slightly longer version tomorrow, and plan to take picks and a before and after video. I'll use my Radio Shack DB meter, too.

I hope that this mod will give me appropriately quiet street operation, and still give me the power boost that I want.
I'm always interested in stuff like this but I think your post needs some pictures or sketches - not easy to picture what you're saying.
Blue&Yellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 09:05 PM   #3
SkiBumBrian
DualSport Crazy !!
 
SkiBumBrian's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: Redding, CA
Oddometer: 1,042
+1 on what blue and yellow said..... Not that I don't believe you, but I am skeptical. I would love to see dyno #s for comparison. Seems to me cutting back on flow has to adversely affect performance, but there may be an acceptable trade off. I will watch intently and curiously.....
__________________
"Where ever you are, there you go..."
SkiBumBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 12:04 PM   #4
Yam2Yam2 OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Oddometer: 22
Well, the results were a roaring, errr-a whispering sucess. With the raw FMF Megabomb feeding into an FMF PC4, I'd have gotten a ticket just idling at the side of the road.

With the hardware cloth insert, I could, seriously, accel at a hard rate past a cop without a second glance. It's somewhat louder than stock, but much smoother than my drilled-out stock muffler.

The videos linked below were recorded at a set volume level, so each vid could be accurately compared, but it doesn't reflect the extremely loud snap from each exhaust pulse in the raw setup. I revved the raw muffler much less hard than I did the tamed muffler, so keep that in mind when viewing the videos.

OF COURSE there will be less power. All mufflers reduce exhaust flow. This mod is about being able to fine-tune the exhaust for road use, while maximizing power. Hopefully I'll be able to post some riding impressions and added-top-end speeds in a month or so.

The gaping maw of the stock FMF PC4 muffler:




The 1/4" hardware cloth before coiling:




An exhaust-pulses' view of the insert:





This side view shows how the density of cloth increases from the left/front, to the exit/right:




The videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkzE2PNC7nU


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erfIn9MGCbY
Yam2Yam2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 12:15 PM   #5
SkiBumBrian
DualSport Crazy !!
 
SkiBumBrian's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: Redding, CA
Oddometer: 1,042
Love your ingenuity!! I'm gonna give this a shot on my BigGun and see what I think....Contrary to popular belief I would like my bike to be quieter if the power loss is nominal. Good job! Keep us posted on how the screen holds up....
__________________
"Where ever you are, there you go..."
SkiBumBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 12:30 PM   #6
joexr
Banned
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: S.E.
Oddometer: 3,773
I have an FMF Titanium4. I took perforated stianless steel , 1/4 " holes , 3/16 " apart and cut a 2" wide strip 20" long and twisted it a full turn. I put this thru the core and put a disc I cut of it over the end under the tip.
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 12:56 PM   #7
Yam2Yam2 OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Oddometer: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by joexr View Post
I have an FMF Titanium4. I took perforated stianless steel , 1/4 " holes , 3/16 " apart and cut a 2" wide strip 20" long and twisted it a full turn. I put this thru the core and put a disc I cut of it over the end under the tip.
I tried this in my Two Bros on my SV650, but couldn't get twists straight enough to get down the muffler! I think this is probably a better option for power, though.
Yam2Yam2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 01:04 PM   #8
joexr
Banned
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: S.E.
Oddometer: 3,773
I was also experimenting with the back pressure. Mine has different diameter tips. The biggest tip gives better bottom end , the smaller one gives better top end , but is louder. I found a happy medium like it is now.With the bgger tip. With a second layer on the end with the holes halfway crossed its louder.
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 04:40 AM   #9
Blue&Yellow
but orange inside...
 
Blue&Yellow's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Sweden
Oddometer: 754
Thanks for the pictures!

Should work well - all the small wires should help break up and diffuse the initial soundwave thump coming from the cylinder.

With a diffusion principle like this you're probably going to loose out on a little hp compared to the very best tuned exhausts on the market (reflective soundwaves can actually help the engine breath if you didn't now it).

But if all you wanted to do was to reduce weight while keeping the sound level down (which would be what I'd want as well) it should work well!
Blue&Yellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 07:55 AM   #10
elsalvadorklr
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: el salvador
Oddometer: 4,076
awesome and thanks!

wow, with pics, this is such a great post...

Im going to do this to make my bike as quiet as possible

I have a new found respect for quiet trail riding, I find I enjoy the engine more and the sights and scenes much better when riding with a stock exhaust

someboy hacked my original 88 xr6 muffler, the gap or hole is bigger than the pc4 I had even without the spark arrestor, after taking off the pc4 and selling it I installed my oem setup and the difference was amazing...especially accelerating

however on decel the damn baffle less oem muffler has this AWFUL metallic sucking sound that is beyond attrocious and I had forgotten about it, so Im looking for a cheap diy solution to fix internally

JUST LIKE THIS

so thanks so much

perfect timing and kudos for your effort, its much appreciated

christian

ps just saw the vids, IMPRESSIVE, what was mx dbs on the modified pc4? thanks
elsalvadorklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:02 AM   #11
DirtyDog
Lust for dust.
 
DirtyDog's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Tulsa... it's OK
Oddometer: 7,261
Interesting. I was skeptical until I saw the gauge readings. Seems like a dramatic reduction.
__________________
And when you asked for light, I set myself on fire
And if I go far away I know- you'll find another slave
DirtyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 01:18 PM   #12
Yam2Yam2 OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Oddometer: 22
Well, I couldn't wait, I went for a short ride. I decided that the packing was too quiet, so I clipped off 4" length from the header pipe end, and I took out 6" width from the interior. This makes the idle louder, and low-speed riding isn't whisper-quiet, but still suitable for neighborhood riding. I'm really loving the increased torque just above idle with the megabomb header.

Unfortunately, even with the additional removal, top speed stuck at 79 mph in my quick test. At speed, the muffler is much quieter, and very smooth. So even more material could be removed. At this point, I think I'll try using a square piece of hardware cloth, rather than triangular, to give two to three wraps extending the length of the muffler, with an open space inside for uninterrupted flow.
Yam2Yam2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 02:03 PM   #13
Pigford
British
 
Pigford's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: North Dorset, UK
Oddometer: 892
Best way to REDUCE NOISE & INCREASE POWER = fit a TURBO
Pigford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 03:49 PM   #14
emreturkeli
Gnarly Adventurer
 
emreturkeli's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Location: Istanbul - TURKEY
Oddometer: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yam2Yam2 View Post
Well, I couldn't wait, I went for a short ride. I decided that the packing was too quiet, so I clipped off 4" length from the header pipe end, and I took out 6" width from the interior. This makes the idle louder, and low-speed riding isn't whisper-quiet, but still suitable for neighborhood riding. I'm really loving the increased torque just above idle with the megabomb header.

Unfortunately, even with the additional removal, top speed stuck at 79 mph in my quick test. At speed, the muffler is much quieter, and very smooth. So even more material could be removed. At this point, I think I'll try using a square piece of hardware cloth, rather than triangular, to give two to three wraps extending the length of the muffler, with an open space inside for uninterrupted flow.
Thanks a lot man!! Please keep up the testing and the improvement!

I believe you're very close to find the sweet spot where both the sound and the performance loss is optimal! and when you found it please make a detailed step by step instructions with pictures so that we newbies can implement it too
__________________
Emre Turkeli
"Specialist"

ARh-
emreturkeli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 05:00 PM   #15
baloneyskin daddy
bikaholic
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: southcentral PA.
Oddometer: 1,904
Thats pretty small gauge wire to be in the direct path of the hot exhaust. I'd bet on an extended highspeed run there will be molten projectiles flying out the pipe.
baloneyskin daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:47 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014