Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-16-2013, 05:40 PM   #571
nachtflug
infidel

Oddometer: 45,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtdreamer50 View Post
machtflug, Did you view the video I posted? Watching Supercross on Speed....You?
I did. typical new age rider, good at wheelies but a total squid in the corners, on a SM no less. good at wheelies on a 450 on the street - go figure.
nachtflug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 05:45 PM   #572
nachtflug
infidel

Oddometer: 45,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtdreamer50 View Post
Watching Supercross on Speed....You?
been waiting all week. great track with those tight turns and those 2 jumps where they basically have to stop because the face is so steep.
nachtflug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 05:57 PM   #573
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,414
I am the last person on earth who would support government intervention in anything. But insurance companies are privately owned. High powered sport bikes present a tremendous risk to them, and those who ride them already pay a fortune in insurance. I can see no reason why any sane person would even want to ride such bikes on the road, unless they intend to ride illegally and irresponsibly. Check this out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFvRegBt-4U
You don't see cruiser or touring bike riders riding like this. Sport bike riders are bringing it on themselves. I sure wouldn't mind seeing insurance rates on these things go way up, so the (already low) insurance rates on my cruiser, dual sport bike, and 3 scooters could go down even more.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 06:01 PM   #574
dirtdreamer50
long time rider

Oddometer: 1,016
Quote:
Originally Posted by nachtflug View Post
been waiting all week. great track with those tight turns and those 2 jumps where they basically have to stop because the face is so steep.
Not a Stewart fan, but he is riding really fast tonight. Watch, he'll crash as he does way too often. Want to see Reed win, but as I own a KTM, gotta pull for Dungey, too. Not enough dirt put down. they're riding on plywood in places...Board track racing? tp OH CTX700 is a great motorcycle, or so I think it will be...tp
dirtdreamer50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 06:09 PM   #575
dirtdreamer50
long time rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
I am the last person on earth who would support government intervention in anything. But insurance companies are privately owned. High powered sport bikes present a tremendous risk to them, and those who ride them already pay a fortune in insurance. I can see no reason why any sane person would even want to ride such bikes on the road, unless they intend to ride illegally and irresponsibly. Check this out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFvRegBt-4U
You don't see cruiser or touring bike riders riding like this. Sport bike riders are bringing it on themselves. I sure wouldn't mind seeing insurance rates on these things go way up, so the (already low) insurance rates on my cruiser, dual sport bike, and 3 scooters could go down even more.
JerryH, I agree on the insurance on the supersports, but many insurance companies are rating by cc's instead of intent. Had a Tiger 1050, that had ridiculous rates because it was a 1050cc bike. My little Duke 690 is called an enduro by progressive and it rated high, since enduros are raced or ridden off road, raising crash potential. I do neither with it but pay much more than I did for a KLR650... Insurance companies are in the business to make a profit, but some of the ways they go about it is criminal, to me...tp
Old 03-16-2013, 06:32 PM   #576
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Insurance companies stop just short of criminal, their lawyers make sure they get as close as possible. Not all insurance companies charge by cc. My former Vulcan 1500 and Goldwing 1500 had rates half of what my EX500 Ninja did. Even though a Ninja 500 is slow compared to real sport bikes, it is in a category that is far more likely to be ridden recklessly than a Goldwing or a cruiser. I really don't see the point in these bikes. My EX500 got me 2 speeding tickets (fortunately no points) There is nowhere in the U.S. you can legally ride more than 75 mph (other than maybe Montana) and the Ninja would easily top 100 mph. They could sell these bikes, but for track use only, the way MX bikes are sold.

And yes I know there are some ridiculously fast cars out there (and their owners also pay ridiculous insurance rates) but I almost never see them driven in a reckless manner, certainly no more than any other car. A couple of weeks ago I was driving to a town about 200 miles away, and it includes over 100 miles of nearly straight road. Speed limit is 75, but I was early, had time to waste, road was almost deserted, so I was going 65 in the right lane. A couple of nearly new Porsche Turbos passed me in the left lane, maybe doing 75-80 as they carefully passed with plenty of room. It could be that someone who is wealthy enough to own such a car is also smart enough to know what they have to lose if they were to cause an accident by reckless driving.

As for the insurance on your Duke, maybe try another company. Not all of them rate bikes the same.
Old 03-16-2013, 06:47 PM   #577
dirtdreamer50
long time rider

The biggest problem on the Duke is it retailed for almost $11k new, a huge price for a 650.. That is taken into consideration, too. Replacement part prices are out of sight for this little bike, but if you've never ridden one, you owe it to yourself to take a ride. Yhey are a hoot....tp
Old 04-05-2013, 02:58 PM   #578
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,670
yummy...

Travels with Maw Maw
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 03:07 PM   #579
HondaFanatic OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 393
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbreeze View Post
yummy...

Yep At $7799 and 65+ mpg Honda is going to sell a boatload of these!
HondaFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 03:20 PM   #580
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaFanatic View Post
Yep At $7799 and 65+ mpg Honda is going to sell a boatload of these!

I love these bikes as well, and if my current bike was not running so good, and still completely reliable, one of these would be at the top of the list as a replacement, though it would be the standard unfaired model with a manual transmission. I checked on the price of the bags, and it is insane. Honda is selling all the little bits and pieces separately, at a ridiculous cost. I would get the backrest and rack, and make do with soft luggage. Hopefully this bike makes it, and I will buy one when my current bike finally dies, or becomes to unreliable to trust.
Old 04-05-2013, 03:33 PM   #581
HondaFanatic OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
I love these bikes as well, and if my current bike was not running so good, and still completely reliable, one of these would be at the top of the list as a replacement, though it would be the standard unfaired model with a manual transmission. I checked on the price of the bags, and it is insane. Honda is selling all the little bits and pieces separately, at a ridiculous cost. I would get the backrest and rack, and make do with soft luggage. Hopefully this bike makes it, and I will buy one when my current bike finally dies, or becomes to unreliable to trust.
If you end up buying one, try negotiating a BIG discount on accessories along with the bikes purchase. I always threaten to walk without at least 25% and have gotten it every time.

The only thing that worries me sales wise for the faired model would be the forward controls. I think Honda would have been better off going with mid's standard, and making the forwards an accessory.
Old 04-05-2013, 04:10 PM   #582
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaFanatic View Post
If you end up buying one, try negotiating a BIG discount on accessories along with the bikes purchase. I always threaten to walk without at least 25% and have gotten it every time.

The only thing that worries me sales wise for the faired model would be the forward controls. I think Honda would have been better off going with mid's standard, and making the forwards an accessory.

The forward controls would be my biggest (and actually only) reason for buying it. But I agree, having both available would make it appeal to a much wider market. Sportsters can be set up with either. I don't know if Honda's design would allow that or not.
Old 04-05-2013, 05:15 PM   #583
HondaFanatic OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
The forward controls would be my biggest (and actually only) reason for buying it. But I agree, having both available would make it appeal to a much wider market. Sportsters can be set up with either. I don't know if Honda's design would allow that or not.
I don't know, buddy. You might surprise yourself. I've talked to a lot of "converts" at our local dealership. Every one of them went in skeptical of the new design 700 motor, but are true believers now. The NC700X crowd seems to love this torquey, low revving, high MPG little engine. As do the magazines, insurance companies, and everyone else

Plus there's no better looking new bike on the planet for less than $7000

HondaFanatic screwed with this post 04-05-2013 at 05:26 PM
Old 04-05-2013, 06:08 PM   #584
quasigentrified
Cityfolk

Oddometer: 626
i'm looking at downgrading my aprilia mana 850 gt to the naked version of this bike, just because the riding position on the mana still puts a little too much weight on my poor carpal tunnel trashed hands. (this is why i favor cvt/dct rides -- even three sugeries later, flexing for long periods of time causes quite a bit of distracting hurt.) supposedly, they'll be in dealerships in early may -- i put some money on a pre-order so i can least be the first to test ride one when it comes in.

it's gonna be a tough call. the mana is a glorious ride with 76 hp and is about as technically satisfying a ride as you can get on an auto. (on the other hand, 30-40 mpg. :-\) however, the forward controls on the ctx700 will give my poor fucked up hands a break and maybe i can ride for longer than a couple hours without the cramps making me stop for 30 mins to an hour with a half a jug of advil...
quasigentrified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 09:16 AM   #585
davidji
bike curious

Oddometer: 912
Will it be possible to get a demo ride of this in the USA?

Does Honda still do demos here? When I search their website I see demo dealers listed for Goldwing and VFR, but nothing about a traveling demo fleet for example.
davidji is offline   Reply With Quote