Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-16-2013, 08:41 AM   #31
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 14,853
have had GL1800, ST1300, FJR1300, Guzzi Stelvio NTX - put many many miles on each.

The FJR and GL1800 were the cheapest to maintain by a large margin - if dealer involvement is a key part of your maintenance program.
The 26,600 mile valve adjust interval on the FJR and 32,000 mile interval on the Wing took the expensive stuff off the table for long periods of time.

The Guzzi can be considered cheap if you do your own valve adjustments - which are quite easy.
I had the FJR valves checked at 30,000 miles and none were in need of shims - all pretty much dead nutz on.
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 09:21 AM   #32
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,656
Another 'wing vote, I found a discounted 2012 when looking at the new F6B and the full 'wing was close in price, bought it, couldn't be happier.

I'll do about 60,000 miles per year on it, gonna run it for 7 years and see how it holds up.
larryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 12:48 PM   #33
Royal Tiger
Pz VI B, Sd Kfz 182

Oddometer: 1,380
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakebird View Post
have had GL1800, ST1300, FJR1300, Guzzi Stelvio NTX - put many many miles on each.

The FJR and GL1800 were the cheapest to maintain by a large margin - if dealer involvement is a key part of your maintenance program.
The 26,600 mile valve adjust interval on the FJR and 32,000 mile interval on the Wing took the expensive stuff off the table for long periods of time.

The Guzzi can be considered cheap if you do your own valve adjustments - which are quite easy.
I had the FJR valves checked at 30,000 miles and none were in need of shims - all pretty much dead nutz on.
I was just looking at a beautiful blue FJR with ABS. Very compelling choice.
Old 03-16-2013, 03:47 PM   #34
Jim K.
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 753
I put 50,000 miles in 10 years on my old Concours C-10. Total maintenance were 3 sets of tires, 2 batteries, & lots of oil & filters. seriously, not one more penny! I'd say go Japanese, especially if you don't do your own work. Dealer network availability alone, tilts the equation to Japan.
Jim K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 03:57 PM   #35
hapbob
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 633
One reason why

One of the reasons I have a Harley (again) is the maintenace I couldn't do my self on BMW. Harley's are easy to work on and I like that part of the hobby also!

BMW nice
Harley easy to own

Hap
Hap
Retired USAF
hapbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 03:59 PM   #36
STinner
any direction will do

Oddometer: 59
I have both of the Honda heavies. A'04 ST1300 and a 2007 Goldwing. Have done all maintenance myself including installing cruise on the ST and replacing the windshield assembly. Haven't had to do anything on the 'Wing........yet but the air cleaner will be an afternoon project for sure. I put just under 50k on the ST with most rides over 2000 miles. I gotta say one thing about the ST1300 75 mph all day long and still get 40-45 mpg. sweet!
STinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 04:43 PM   #37
Santa
Focused on the Future

Oddometer: 1,398
I have about 50 K on my ST1300. Great bike, absolutely trouble free.
It is quite versatile and capable. It can really get down in the corners. I tend to ride a bit faster than traffic and at night I look like LEO so the cars just pull over and let me by. That always gives me a chuckle.
Santa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 07:35 PM   #38
BrianK
F'in' half ass lookie boy

Oddometer: 852
How 'bout learning to work on your own bike? There's some initial investment in tools, but the payback period is pretty quick.

Changing tires isn't my favorite thing but they're relatively good buys if you buy on the internet (I like americanmototire.com, personally) and do 'em yourself.

I've gotten pretty good at it. You can too.

BrianK screwed with this post 03-16-2013 at 08:07 PM
BrianK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 07:49 PM   #39
madeouttaglass
The AntiHarley

Oddometer: 3,007
FJR or a 6 cylinder GL if you don't mind a 2 wheeled convertible without a top. I have both.

Escape from NY- http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=955520
madeouttaglass is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 07:51 PM   #40
StriderJim
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by hapbob View Post
One of the reasons I have a Harley (again) is the maintenace I couldn't do my self on BMW. Harley's are easy to work on and I like that part of the hobby also!

BMW nice
Harley easy to own

Hap
There's a reasonably substantiated story that the 2014 HD Road Glide is going to be 're-designed'. Another rumor---around for some years---is that it will come back with a water-cooled engine.

If that happens, HD may be attracting the attention of other segments of the bike market than usually show interest.

I'm currently riding a 2012 Road Glide Ultra.

StriderJim
NC
StriderJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 08:35 PM   #41
BrianK
F'in' half ass lookie boy

Oddometer: 852
If Harley goes to water cooling, they'll lose a goodly proportion of their "installed base." IMHO, of course.
BrianK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 08:41 PM   #42
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,383
2 up touring bikes (not sport touring) are hard to come by. Only BMW, Honda, and Harley make them. You couldn't give me a BMW of any model unless I could sell it and keep the money. That leaves the Harley and the Goldwing. Both very different, both very low maintenance. Since they are so different, one or the other of them has to suit you. I could not afford a touring Harley, so I bought a used Goldwing. First was an '85 LTD that I had to do a ton of work on, had a nightmare finding and fabricating parts for, but once back together, put almost 30,000 miles on before it started falling apart again. I sold it cheap, and, still not being able to afford a Harley, bought a used Goldwing 1500 with 65,000 miles on it. It would have likely lasted forever (250,000+ miles are not uncommon) maintenance was basically non existent (change the oil and go) but it was 2 much bike for me. I ride solo, and this thing got 35 mpg, and ate a new rear tire in 10,000 miles. I mount and balance my own tires, but that was still expensive and a hassle. Many people run car tires on the rear of 1500 and 1800 Goldwings for that reason. Had I kept it, I would have probably tried that as well. The 1500 Goldwing also has the distinction of being the most comfortable bike I have ever ridden.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 09:10 PM   #43
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 14,853
ah yes....another JerryH response, riddled with mistruths and out and out bogus statements. Your opinions seldom reflect actual fact, whether it be here or the Motus thread

Only BMW, Honda, and Harley?
Maybe you wouldn't own a BMW....but a helluva huge chunk of the riding population do - so what's your point? They are a damn fine machine, and that goes for the slant K or air/oil cooled boxer.

Victory Vision or Cross Country?
Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Voyager?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
2 up touring bikes (not sport touring) are hard to come by. Only BMW, Honda, and Harley make them. You couldn't give me a BMW of any model unless I could sell it and keep the money. That leaves the Harley and the Goldwing. Both very different, both very low maintenance. Since they are so different, one or the other of them has to suit you. I could not afford a touring Harley, so I bought a used Goldwing. First was an '85 LTD that I had to do a ton of work on, had a nightmare finding and fabricating parts for, but once back together, put almost 30,000 miles on before it started falling apart again. I sold it cheap, and, still not being able to afford a Harley, bought a used Goldwing 1500 with 65,000 miles on it. It would have likely lasted forever (250,000+ miles are not uncommon) maintenance was basically non existent (change the oil and go) but it was 2 much bike for me. I ride solo, and this thing got 35 mpg, and ate a new rear tire in 10,000 miles. I mount and balance my own tires, but that was still expensive and a hassle. Many people run car tires on the rear of 1500 and 1800 Goldwings for that reason. Had I kept it, I would have probably tried that as well. The 1500 Goldwing also has the distinction of being the most comfortable bike I have ever ridden.
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 09:26 PM   #44
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,383
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakebird View Post
ah yes....another JerryH response, riddled with mistruths and out and out bogus statements. Your opinions seldom reflect actual fact, whether it be here or the Motus thread

Only BMW, Honda, and Harley?
Maybe you wouldn't own a BMW....but a helluva huge chunk of the riding population do - so what's your point? They are a damn fine machine, and that goes for the slant K or air/oil cooled boxer.

Victory Vision or Cross Country?
Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Voyager?
The Vision, Cross Country and 1700 Voyager, along with several others in that category, are cruisers. I wouldn't think that someone coming from a BMW would want a cruiser. And no, I don't consider the Harley Electra Glide a cruiser. It is pretty much the same thing it was 50 years ago, before cruisers existed. It is a touring bike, and is well set up for use as such.

I am not a yuppie, and I do not own an Aerostitch Roadcrafter suit, so I am obviously not BMW material. And while a lot of people ride them, they also seem to be constantly complaining about them, like the OP here. I agree the old airheads were likely reliable and easy to maintain, but that went out the window with the new bikes. New BMWs seem to have a lower reliability rating than anything not Chinese. Last but not least, if you own a BMW, and don't do your own maintenance, you have to deal with BMW dealers, who also get way more complaints than any other brand dealer. They demand a premium price for bikes, parts, and service, based on the perceived value of the BMW name, which don't mean what it once did, not by a long way.

As for Motus, well, WHAT Motus?
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 12:23 AM   #45
manban9888
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
For bang for your buck and easy to own reliability you really can't beat the big Kawasaki Vulcan bikes suck as the Nomad and the Voyager. The Nomad is set up like a Road King w hard bags, cc, and a windshield. The Voyager is set up like an electra glide w a batwing, and tour pack and hard bags. The Vulcans are much more affordable and more reliable imo. Harley is no easier to work on than a Vulcan and will cost you more to buy and to fix or maintain. It's not even close. The only thing Harley has on them is resale value but you're paying more to begin with and I buy a bike to ride the hell out of it not to sell it.
manban9888 is offline   Reply With Quote