ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 139 votes, 4.81 average. Display Modes
Old 03-16-2013, 01:09 PM   #7231
Bli55
-

Oddometer: 337
I KNEW I wasn't the only one to play with it in the bath!
Bli55 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 03:21 PM   #7232
Drif10
Accredited Jackass

Oddometer: 45,260
Had my 650 since December. Pretty much left it in my truck and just used it, got to know it.

Now that I've used it a few times on the bike, I just don't like it. It excels at things like tracks that are of little use to me, and is lacking in other things that I've come to realize are more important to me. I can see how someone who comes from a 60 or 76 series would just love it, it really is a beautiful progression from those units, in keeping with their intended uses.

The Montana is a good gps, but just not a fit for me. Shame, as it has a ton of potential and flexibility, just not in a direction that is of any use on my bike.

Gonna find somebody who wants to trade for a 378/478, go back to that. Works better for my needs.
Old 03-16-2013, 03:46 PM   #7233
advNZer?
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,686
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drif10 View Post
Had my 650 since December. Pretty much left it in my truck and just used it, got to know it.

Now that I've used it a few times on the bike, I just don't like it. It excels at things like tracks that are of little use to me, and is lacking in other things that I've come to realize are more important to me. I can see how someone who comes from a 60 or 76 series would just love it, it really is a beautiful progression from those units, in keeping with their intended uses.

The Montana is a good gps, but just not a fit for me. Shame, as it has a ton of potential and flexibility, just not in a direction that is of any use on my bike.

Gonna find somebody who wants to trade for a 378/478, go back to that. Works better for my needs.
interested in what you think it lacks
Old 03-16-2013, 04:26 PM   #7234
Drif10
Accredited Jackass

Quote:
Originally Posted by advNZer? View Post
interested in what you think it lacks
Buttons. Touch screen is way too sensitive if you're using gloves, even with a screen protector on it to combat that. Maybe I should try two layers. Had 2xxx streetpilots for years, which were touch screens, and I never had this problem.

The dashboards eat screen area. No opaque option, so if you want any data available, it's gonna cost ya. Throw in the route driving directions along with even just the nuvi dashboard with its time and speed, and you've lost half the screen.

I use my gps as my speedo. Problem with the new programming is that when you get 1 mph over the limit on a road that the unit knows the limit of, it switches the speedo to red, making it unreadable in daylight on my bike dash. Less of an issue in my truck. Really fucking annoying.

Map screen zoom levels. On a 478, you can go to 2 km zoom, and still have all detail, when set to most detail. Montana limits to 1.2 km for the same detail level. I use my gps as a moving map most times, pan it around to find new stuff or alternate routes. This seemingly little thing turned out to be a big one for me, annoyance wise.

The 478 lacks the memory. With bigger map sets coming, being able to carry all that I wanted (topo, older metroguide maps that have different data, plus citynav) was a real plus with the Montana. Turns out, it's not enough for me.

I've been messing with gps for over 20 years, got my hands on many of the new units and have enjoyed the new abilities of each generation. This is the first time that I'm going to retrograde in units to achieve what I need.

For my needs, gimme a 478 with the buttons on the left, and an SD card slot. Maybe a bigger screen. That'd do.
Old 03-16-2013, 05:37 PM   #7235
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Oddometer: 687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drif10 View Post
Buttons. Touch screen is way too sensitive if you're using gloves, even with a screen protector on it to combat that. Maybe I should try two layers. Had 2xxx streetpilots for years, which were touch screens, and I never had this problem.

The dashboards eat screen area. No opaque option, so if you want any data available, it's gonna cost ya. Throw in the route driving directions along with even just the nuvi dashboard with its time and speed, and you've lost half the screen.

I use my gps as my speedo. Problem with the new programming is that when you get 1 mph over the limit on a road that the unit knows the limit of, it switches the speedo to red, making it unreadable in daylight on my bike dash. Less of an issue in my truck. Really fucking annoying.

Map screen zoom levels. On a 478, you can go to 2 km zoom, and still have all detail, when set to most detail. Montana limits to 1.2 km for the same detail level. I use my gps as a moving map most times, pan it around to find new stuff or alternate routes. This seemingly little thing turned out to be a big one for me, annoyance wise.
Dashboards can be easily hidden and shown at will from the map screen.

If speedo is most important, try the Large Data Field with your speed displayed... If you cant see that, you likely shouldn't be riding.

You can manually adjust the zoom and detail levels to show as much or as little as you want, at any zoom level.

Get to know your Montana, it is quite powerful.
atlas cached is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 06:00 PM   #7236
Drif10
Accredited Jackass

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlas cached View Post
Dashboards can be easily hidden and shown at will from the map screen.

If speedo is most important, try the Large Data Field with your speed displayed... If you cant see that, you likely shouldn't be riding.

You can manually adjust the zoom and detail levels to show as much or as little as you want, at any zoom level.

Get to know your Montana, it is quite powerful.
I did just that. All of that.

And it still did not do what I could do with an 8 year old 478. On the key things I mentioned earlier. Good unit, but not for me.

I'd had PM's before when I first went forward with the switch, folks were interested to know how it was going to work for me. That's why these posts, puts my intel out there for those who are trying to decide to make the change.

It does not mean that the Montana is less than a great unit, because it is a very good one, it just doesn't do what I've come to realize are key things for me.
Old 03-16-2013, 09:06 PM   #7237
Dirt2Oil
Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post

Which version of the software is it that people are complaining about? AFAIK 4.70 is the latest, and I see nothing wrong with it aside from the failure of simulated navigation.
I just updated my Montana the other day and have been trying to do the simulated navigation. I could not figure out what the hell was wrong but that explains it. Hope that feature returns I really liked it.

Insanity is hereditary; you get it from your children. ~Sam Levenson
Dirt2Oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 10:06 PM   #7238
Dirt2Oil
Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
Simulated Navigation

Just realized the simulated navigation still works. I went under Satellite and selected "use with GPS off" and sure enough it is working.

Insanity is hereditary; you get it from your children. ~Sam Levenson
Dirt2Oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 04:51 AM   #7239
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,667
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt2Oil View Post
Just realized the simulated navigation still works. I went under Satellite and selected "use with GPS off" and sure enough it is working.
Still doesn't work for me even if I do that, but the problem might relate more to the routes and tracks I am trying to use. If I try to simulate routing to something simple, it seems to work.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 05:28 AM   #7240
ebbo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 148
Temprature not being recorded in tracklog?

Got a Tempe paired up ok, temperature showing in display ok but temperature not being recorded in the tracklog Anyone any ideas please?

Montana 600, software v4.70
Old 03-17-2013, 06:46 AM   #7241
Kainic
Almost there

Oddometer: 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebbo View Post
Got a Tempe paired up ok, temperature showing in display ok but temperature not being recorded in the tracklog Anyone any ideas please?

Montana 600, software v4.70
Any pics?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Kainic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 07:11 AM   #7242
woodsatyr
Kitty Boy

Oddometer: 438
Those of you who have installed an SAE connector to be able to remove the rugged mount off your bikes - isn't there an audio cable in there too?
woodsatyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 08:01 AM   #7243
gspdbill
noobie allover again

Oddometer: 404
Anybody else having the grey/white screen on startup? I've had this problem occasionally since I got the unit 4 months ago but it happened infrequently, until this past week. I've had it happen 4 times this week. Tried to search the Garmin Forums but their forums don't seem to be set up for questions like this. Google search found a Geocaching forum that has a thread on this problem from about 18 mos. ago but they report it mostly happens when the Montana is installed in a cradle, mine does it both when installed in the cradle and when hand held. Usually powering down the unit 1 or 2 times will bring it back to normal startup but yesterday I had to remove it from the cradle and cycle power in handheld mode to get it to start normally.

The condition is when starting the unit up the screen lightens up a little (what I call "gray" screen) but goes no further than that. Holding the power button down gets you the normal 2 beep power down signal and it will usually power down. Hitting the on button again the unit may power up normally or I may have to repeat the process again. On the Geocaching forum they reported they had to remove the battery to get it to shut down.

This problem has occurred in both 4.60 and with my current 4.70 F/W installed.

I'll be calling Garmin on Mon.
Old 03-17-2013, 08:40 AM   #7244
woodsatyr
Kitty Boy

Oddometer: 438
Quote:
Originally Posted by gspdbill View Post
Anybody else having the grey/white screen on startup? I've had this problem occasionally since I got the unit 4 months ago but it happened infrequently, until this past week. I've had it happen 4 times this week. Tried to search the Garmin Forums but their forums don't seem to be set up for questions like this. Google search found a Geocaching forum that has a thread on this problem from about 18 mos. ago but they report it mostly happens when the Montana is installed in a cradle, mine does it both when installed in the cradle and when hand held. Usually powering down the unit 1 or 2 times will bring it back to normal startup but yesterday I had to remove it from the cradle and cycle power in handheld mode to get it to start normally.

The condition is when starting the unit up the screen lightens up a little (what I call "gray" screen) but goes no further than that. Holding the power button down gets you the normal 2 beep power down signal and it will usually power down. Hitting the on button again the unit may power up normally or I may have to repeat the process again. On the Geocaching forum they reported they had to remove the battery to get it to shut down.

This problem has occurred in both 4.60 and with my current 4.70 F/W installed.

I'll be calling Garmin on Mon.

Yep. Mine was horrible about it. I'd get it mostly when coming out of the car mount but also other times as well. At first Garmin said they were aware of the problem and that they were working on a fix and that the fix would come through updates. Well, mine never was fixed. It got worse to the point where I called and said I'm tired of this. I need it replaced. I just got my replacement back last week.

Oh, meant to say too: the unit is booting up and working behind that white screen. It's just that you can't see anything. If you notice, it will start as a "gray" screen and after it boots fully, it'll go to bright white. That's the best time to shut it off.
woodsatyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 09:08 AM   #7245
gspdbill
noobie allover again

Oddometer: 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsatyr View Post
Yep. Mine was horrible about it. I'd get it mostly when coming out of the car mount but also other times as well. At first Garmin said they were aware of the problem and that they were working on a fix and that the fix would come through updates. Well, mine never was fixed. It got worse to the point where I called and said I'm tired of this. I need it replaced. I just got my replacement back last week.

Oh, meant to say too: the unit is booting up and working behind that white screen. It's just that you can't see anything. If you notice, it will start as a "gray" screen and after it boots fully, it'll go to bright white. That's the best time to shut it off.
OK, thanks, sounds like the exact same problem. Yesterday it did it when I inserted it into the Rugged Mount on the bike, my timing for trying to power the unit down was off so it took multiple attempts.

Thanks again.