Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Some Assembly Required
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-12-2013, 12:06 AM   #136
Dorzok
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,778
I see you gave up on setting up the rear brake per RYCA's recommendations.
Dorzok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 10:13 AM   #137
Krasniewski OP
I don't ride much.

Oddometer: 1,245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorzok View Post
I see you gave up on setting up the rear brake per RYCA's recommendations.
Yeah, didn't even try. I'm either going to do it right or not at all.

Tank shot, as requested:

The finish looks a little funny b/c she sits out and it's covered in dew.
Krasniewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 05:44 PM   #138
Tenni126
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
I kinda like the tank treatment...sort of a K-car style union stamp.
Tenni126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:07 PM   #139
Krasniewski OP
I don't ride much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenni126 View Post
I kinda like the tank treatment...
How much do you like it??? Trade ya for the truck...
Old 03-13-2013, 08:47 PM   #140
Krasniewski OP
I don't ride much.

Today the correct bolt from Ryca arrived, so I threw that in the rearset bracket - no chain clearance issues that I can see now. Horn attached easily and plugged right up. I also redid the ground for the tach, and it seems to work now.

Not much else to do... registration maybe - but Cali DMV can be such an asspain - I really dont' want to. Also, I can't ride it to work w/o two mirrors and blinkers... it's the little things that piss me off about the job sometimes.

Anyway, don't think it's worth what I have into her... not gonna sell this at a loss - not yet anyway. I guess I should register her so I can at least ride a little b/f I leave.
Old 03-14-2013, 09:23 AM   #141
zap2504
Dave E.

Oddometer: 587
How do you find the ergos of the Scrambler (and what are your inseam/height/sleeve lengths)?
zap2504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 01:15 PM   #142
Tenni126
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krasniewski View Post
How much do you like it??? Trade ya for the truck...
Eh, no...
Old 03-14-2013, 02:52 PM   #143
Marco Moto
Voyager

Oddometer: 1,214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krasniewski View Post
Today the correct bolt from Ryca arrived, so I threw that in the rearset bracket - no chain clearance issues that I can see now. Horn attached easily and plugged right up. I also redid the ground for the tach, and it seems to work now.

Not much else to do... registration maybe - but Cali DMV can be such an asspain - I really dont' want to. Also, I can't ride it to work w/o two mirrors and blinkers... it's the little things that piss me off about the job sometimes.

Anyway, don't think it's worth what I have into her... not gonna sell this at a loss - not yet anyway. I guess I should register her so I can at least ride a little b/f I leave.

You know... since you mentioned it, I'm just going to say it: it does not do it for me. For the price and work involved you are probably better off custom make the parts.
That said... now ride the shit out of it!!!
-M.
Old 03-14-2013, 09:13 PM   #144
Krasniewski OP
I don't ride much.

Quote:
How do you find the ergos of the Scrambler (and what are your inseam/height/sleeve lengths)?
I'm 5'10", 170 lbs, I wear a 40 long on the jacket, inseam of 32" and I like the ergos a lot so far, but I'll update the opinion after I get more miles on her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco Moto View Post
For the price and work involved you are probably better off custom make the parts.
Yeah - the kit is good for those those short on time and those who can't/don't want to make the parts. I was borderline on both. Best for me would have probably been to buy individual parts from Ryca as necessary, but then again, the time to build would have grown exponentially and the product wouldn't be as complete.
Old 03-16-2013, 09:03 PM   #145
Krasniewski OP
I don't ride much.

Wrapped the project up today with blinkers, a carb adjustment, and the a brake stop.

First off the carb - I was too rich ~1/2 throttle, which meant I put in too many needle spacers. The kit came with three washers, which was too many. I went down to one, which feels much better.

Blinkers: very happy the way they turned out - low profile, not noticeable at all.

One of the things about the kit is the mounting of the optional blinkers. They don't really say anything about mounting the rears. They are to make a rear luggage rack with blinker mounts, which I wanted, but they didn't have available yet - so I went with the fender, which looked good and was a low profile. I spliced in the stock connectors, but had to add extensions - easy enough. The front is where the problem is. They want you to take the stockers apart and use a metal insert, after you tap it. I'm not into that, especially since all I had to do to make it work was use a small (1x2") piece of flat stock aluminum to make a mount. I should have taken pictures - hard to explain.

Anyway, got to the brake stop. I took some scrap metal and made a bracket that attached to the rearset bracket via the rearset nut and bolt. I was comfortable setting a permanent position, but welding on a nut to make the stop adjustable would have been just as easy. Ryca should adopt something like this - it's so simple and keeps you from having to do some crazy batshit brake setup. The slack is now adjustable by setting the rear actuator arm, then fine tuning using the threading on either end of the actuator rod. I like this setup - very solid now.

The only downside of having a solid rod like this is that the brake will probably need to be adjusted every time the chain is adjusted, but that can't be helped with this setup.

The piece in a vice: the shape is a little odd b/c the shape of the donor scrap was weird.

Mounted:

Rear:

Anyway - the only thing left is the registration, which may not happen here in CA - damned dealer protection laws and all. I'll try to figure something out, but I may need to register through Florida, which I'm a resident of, but that's still a pain in the ass.

Also, I may add a little something to muffler to quiet it down some - it's pretty annoying. Nothing the neighbors will appreciate on early mornings.
Old 03-17-2013, 11:17 AM   #146
Tenni126
Adventurer

Isn't it still just a Suzuki s-40 for reg purposes?
Old 03-17-2013, 11:33 AM   #147
Krasniewski OP
I don't ride much.

Yeah, the problem is the mileage. You can't register an out of state vehicle in Cali with less than 7,500 miles. It should be lower for bikes, IMO - this only had 5k on the clock. Now with new clocks, the mileage isn't actual, so I'm not sure what the DMV will say. They verify mileage, VIN, and EPA stickers at the DMV or vehicle registration service.

I'm thinking of bringing them a picture of an ODO with more than 7500 and saying that it was what the bike had b/f I changed the clock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenni126 View Post
Isn't it still just a Suzuki s-40 for reg purposes?
Old 03-17-2013, 11:49 AM   #148
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,735
I owned a 49 state bike with less than 7,500 miles. The owner claimed the speedometer broke and signed an affidavit to that effect. He got it licensed in Ca., but from that point on, mileage for DMV purposes was "unknown".
Old 03-17-2013, 11:50 AM   #149
Krasniewski OP
I don't ride much.

Awesome - good to know! My KLRE got registered w/o the CA stickers - but the mileage one is new for me.
Old 03-17-2013, 01:32 PM   #150
Krasniewski OP
I don't ride much.

A few more miles today just to see how the carb is doing. Runs much better, but was a little lean right off idle. I backed the idle screw out another 1/2 turn to 2 turns out. Suspension feels a little stiff, but I'm a buck seventy-five. I think that the suspenders need to be stiff also, mostly due to limited suspension travel, which probably isn't ideal for a scrambler.

Ergo-wise, the pegs are a little high (5'10", 32" inseam). Pretty good for me, but if I were over 6' I'd think twice about the peg position. There is a slight lean forward, which is comfortable; it's not a sit-up-and-beg position, which also means it's not a stand on the pegs bike either.

Brakes feel great - had to use more than I wanted for a car that got on the brakes for a yellow.

Also, the packing is getting broken in or blown out as I'm quite sure the bike is getting louder.

And finally - I don't think the vacuum portion of the petcock works... what an ass pain. It's fine in "PRI" mode (prime), which is OK except that you should turn it off (which I won't remember) when leaving the bike and then you don't have a reserve, which is terrible.