Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-15-2013, 04:03 PM   #1
VidoSeaver OP
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Wicked Another KTM Big bore comparison thread.

The Background: I'm selling the farm and taking off for Alaska and then SOUTH.

The situation:

I've lurked the shit out of the 520 vs 525 vs 530 vs 690 vs X challenge arguments and I guess I want to rehash it just one more time.

Here's the deal: I want to spend 10k or less and have a reliable, totally badass, street legal dirt bike that gives no quarter in dirt but can cruise marginally comfortably on the highway. I'm taking a differnt approach to adventuring though, see the below photo. (450 is just for mock-up)

I currently own 2002 520 EXC that I have upgraded:
(stator, hid light, aceberis bark busters, alumnium skid plate, mohard radiator guards, 1000 dollars in factory connection suspension work) but also have absolutely thrashed. Lots of woods riding and most recently down to jersey and back on the interstate pinned in sixth gear. Yeah it was really effing cold. But that's why god made whiskey.

While I love the awesomeness of the 690 the 17 pages of problems i read about the fuel system scared me off. I was about to buy a plain ticket to Georgia to go pick one up and changed my mind at the last minute. To many things to break I decided.

The X challenge fell basically into the same catogory for me, and while more reliable, I need to be able to wheelie in fourth gear.

While there are ride reports out there of people putting 20k+ on the 530's they just don't seem quite as robust as the RFS. I might go that route if I could buy one at the dealership but I think I missed it by a year.

So basically for me it boils down to this:

Option A: Pimp current whip?
Side note;
in said pimping I would have the entire motor and tranny broken down and gone through. The little boy on my shoulder says, "they're redoing the top end get the thumper or sxs kit", the p*ssy on the otherside says "it will affect reliability"

Thoughts?

Option B: Buy 2007 525 exc and pimp that? It will cost more but the components will be newer and more available for longer (hopefully).

Have at it boys and gals

PS. Here is the one thing I know I'm taking.
Old 03-16-2013, 07:23 AM   #2
It'sNotTheBike
Banned

Oddometer: 704
Quote:
Originally Posted by VidoSeaver View Post

While I love the awesomeness of the 690 the 17 pages of problems i read about the fuel system scared me off.

PS. Here is the one thing I know I'm taking.

690s have been around the world a few times, and the fuel system
problems are not enough of an issue in the real world to disqualify the
bike from a long-distance adventure ride.

That trailer contraption on the other hand looks like an
accident waiting to happen. No single person who is on a
pleasure motorcycle trip needs to drag along so much stuff
that a trailer is necessary. If you think you "need" a trailer,
you're doing it wrong.

It'sNotTheBike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 08:54 AM   #3
OrangeYZ
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 555
Pimp current ride. Parts availability for the 2007 won't be that much better than your 02, and while the motor is gone through problem parts can be updated to 07 stuff.

There are only two ways the big bore kit will effect reliability.
1 - Some things will wear out faster, like tires, sprockets, chain, possibly the countershaft and crank bearings. Not less reliable, just wears out faster.
2 - With epic torque at your disposal, you'll think you can jump bigger and bigger things, until you can't. Then your wheels, suspension and back will pay the price.

Trailer: The front cross bar looks like one of those optical illusions at first glance.

Edit: Somehow I typed all that without reading the first line where it says "Alaska." The only way I would take a dualsport (dirtier more than streetier) and trailer to Alaska, is if the DS is on the trailer, next to a canoe, behind a truck with a camper, with enough room to carry however much caffeinated Mt Dew I need to smuggle to get through Canada.
OrangeYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 10:40 AM   #4
gunnerbuck
Island Hopper

Oddometer: 4,037
Quote:
Originally Posted by VidoSeaver View Post
The Background: I'm selling the farm and taking off for Alaska

The X challenge fell basically into the same catogory for me, and while more reliable, I need to be able to wheelie in fourth gear.
Is this wheelie in fourth a requirement for towing the trailer?
gunnerbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 06:20 PM   #5
VidoSeaver OP
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sNotTheBike View Post
That trailer contraption on the other hand looks like an
accident waiting to happen. No single person who is on a
pleasure motorcycle trip needs to drag along so much stuff
that a trailer is necessary. If you think you "need" a trailer,
you're doing it wrong.

Why you hatin' on my trailer mang? I've done the whole pannier / top bag thing and I felt that having all that weight up high on the bike really negatively affected handling. I'm going to try to take as much single track on the way to Alaska as possible. The beauty of the trailer is I can disconnect it super easy and go off and rip if I want. My bike is getting a brandy new 640 kush hub so the current rear wheel is going to be the rear wheel on the trailer as a spare.

I'm looking for suggestions for a brake for the rear wheel of the trailer. I was thinking I'd put two levers on my right side so when I break with the bike the trailer breaks to, then make a quick disconnect? Ideas? Comments?
The other cool thing about the trailer is the box I'm using on it doubles as a bike stand for when I need to service the bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeYZ View Post
Edit: Somehow I typed all that without reading the first line where it says "Alaska." The only way I would take a dualsport (dirtier more than streetier) and trailer to Alaska, is if the DS is on the trailer, next to a canoe, behind a truck with a camper, with enough room to carry however much caffeinated Mt Dew I need to smuggle to get through Canada.
When I get old that will most definitely be the approach I take, but this time? Naw, dirt bikin it baby. I think it will get me laid more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnerbuck View Post
Is this wheelie in fourth a requirement for towing the trailer?
Kinda, I want to be able to wheelie in third with the trailer so.... Yes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeYZ View Post

Pimp current ride.
I had an epiphany today and decided the same thing. Brilliant minds think alike.

Now for the farkles:

HT Racing oil cooler
KTM Sxs 540 thumper kit
SXS water pumper
Mohard super cool radiators
Silicone hoses
Safari Tank
ktm 640 "kush" rear wheel
Prorace designs drain plug kit
double take mirrors
Lightlock rim locks. For all three wheels
Ceramic coating on header and mid pipe
heated grips.

Am I forgetting anything?

Keep in mind it already has the bark busters, skid plate upgraded stator, hid light, led brake/plate/tail light.

Oh and I'm having the entire motor gone through. Kibblewhite valves and SXS kit installed.

Do y'all think its worth me putting blinkers on? Its legal in my state without em.
Old 03-16-2013, 06:30 PM   #6
Mudguts
when in doubt GAS IT

Oddometer: 2,093
I'd go the 570 kit ive done the 540 which is only 530 so only 20cc ,
570 are reliable more torque more power and smooth . Check out thumper racing you can get up to 610 out of your motor but $$$ .
Old 03-16-2013, 07:34 PM   #7
OrangeYZ
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 555
Don't worry about brakes on the trailer. You probably won't get it that heavy, and these bikes have good brakes anyway.
But do worry about the signals and brake lights on it. Also a fender.
OrangeYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 11:05 AM   #8
jar944
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 609
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudguts View Post
I'd go the 570 kit ive done the 540 which is only 530 so only 20cc ,
570 are reliable more torque more power and smooth . Check out thumper racing you can get up to 610 out of your motor but $$$ .
You can get up to 637cc easily from the rfs motor, 662 is possible but really$$. A 570 is nice but should have a 806 cam minimum and a 41mm carb.

95mm vs 102mm piston
jar944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 12:05 PM   #9
davesupreme
grand poobah

Oddometer: 1,462
a cush drive on a RFS bike makes for a beautiful thing.... now that trailer, i dunno about....

trick out a 64mm crank motor w/as big piston as you want, get the head done right.... i dunno what more you need, and it's 250lbs.....
davesupreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 12:16 PM   #10
dave186
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 168
I have an 02 520MXC with a iron lined 540 kit and 806 cam. Its a great combo. I also have KW valves and unshrouded combustion chamber. the valves are a must, they last much longer than stock. for a long trip like that on an older bike I would take a look at the crank for sure.
dave186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 11:00 AM   #11
VidoSeaver OP
n00b

Hey all thanks for the replies.

I ripped my 520 down to bare bones, had the motor in the car ready to ship to Thumper for 4200 dollars worth of work and found a 2007 KTM 525 with only a thousand miles on it for 3500. I couldn't turn it down. So now I'm reassembling the 520 which will stay my woods machine and turning the 525 into the adventure bike. Looks like it will be time to start another 525 adventure bike thread / blog. I'll link it when I get started but suffice it to say the header is getting ceramic coated as we speak.

Vido
Old 03-27-2013, 11:25 AM   #12
cross-country

Oddometer: 1,577
Why not adapt your trailer to accept a modern KTM wheel, then you could switch out for different gearing, a fresher tire (assuming tire wear is slower on the trailer than on the drive tire), and in case of a flat (I'm guessing that riding out with the flat on the trailer is easier than with the flat on bike..?). Good luck on the trip, sounds like a blast!
cross-country is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 11:55 AM   #13
Idle
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 668
What about a left hand brake for the trailer? Wouldn't be too big of a deal to pull it off the bars and leave it connected. You could mount clips to the frame (the kind that are on the swingarm) to keep it orderly when attached.

It would be pretty tough to get two foot brakes safely working in sync. Good luck with that.

Congrats on the new bike..
Idle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 02:30 PM   #14
wiswoodsguy
Kmart shopper

Oddometer: 1,810
Motor might make the journey, but the tranny is gonna shit out pulling that trailer - even with a kush hub. It just cant take that kind of extra tonnage being lugged behind it. The only advantage to having a Kush is less strain on the tranny in high tire grip situations.

I put a set of rear pegs on my 01 520 to cart my wife around with me on short jaunts - she weighs far less than your contraption - and that alone wreaked total havoc on my trans. Spewed out the needle bearing on the intermediate gear (just behind the clutch basket) - couldnt handle the extra pull from more frequent stopping/starting. I was running a very wide spaced knobby with less than premium traction on pavement - so the slip was there to not have a Kush hub. And I doubt she was on board for more than 100 miles total

Plus Id for sure have an extra large additional oil reservoir + cooling fan

Not that you didnt do a beautiful job in the construction/thought process of your trailer - looks pretty cool I must say

IMHO - buy a 690 and dont worry about what you've read. Ive had great luck with my 09. People love to glom onto a problem and exploit the crap out of it. Plus the 690 is built with longer maintenance intervals, trans built for road use, fuel injection for altitude changes, and a far better manners for trip of this magnitude. As read prior, there are several 690's that have made it around the globe = wayyyyyyy better choice

I do love my 520 - just that I would never even consider it for something like this - Just sayin
wiswoodsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 05:54 AM   #15
jar944
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 609
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiswoodsguy View Post
Motor might make the journey, but the tranny is gonna shit out pulling that trailer - even with a kush hub. It just cant take that kind of extra tonnage being lugged behind it. The only advantage to having a Kush is less strain on the tranny in high tire grip situations.

I put a set of rear pegs on my 01 520 to cart my wife around with me on short jaunts - she weighs far less than your contraption - and that alone wreaked total havoc on my trans. Spewed out the needle bearing on the intermediate gear (just behind the clutch basket) - couldnt handle the extra pull from more frequent stopping/starting. I was running a very wide spaced knobby with less than premium traction on pavement - so the slip was there to not have a Kush hub. And I doubt she was on board for more than 100 miles total

Plus Id for sure have an extra large additional oil reservoir + cooling fan

Not that you didnt do a beautiful job in the construction/thought process of your trailer - looks pretty cool I must say

IMHO - buy a 690 and dont worry about what you've read. Ive had great luck with my 09. People love to glom onto a problem and exploit the crap out of it. Plus the 690 is built with longer maintenance intervals, trans built for road use, fuel injection for altitude changes, and a far better manners for trip of this magnitude. As read prior, there are several 690's that have made it around the globe = wayyyyyyy better choice

I do love my 520 - just that I would never even consider it for something like this - Just sayin
It wasnt your wife. If it was, the 637cc sidecar MX RFS motors would have died very quick deaths.
jar944 is offline   Reply With Quote