The Husaberg 70º FE Adventure Traveler Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Lost Roadie, Apr 18, 2012.

1. Brian011952

Brian011952 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think he already said that when I explained what the cost of the aluminum was. Aluminum sheet, the filler neck, and the two NPT bungs to weld onto the tank have run me a total of $190 bucks. Of course, $62 of that is the filler neck and bungs. But it'll still be hundreds cheaper than the Safari tank or if I had ordered the AUS tool box version. I like where the weight will be carried with the extra fuel better than up high anyway. Of course, if I don't like it as a fuel tank, I can chop the top open and make it a tool box. :clap
  2. Lost Roadie

Lost Roadie High-Tech Meets Low Class Supporter

Oddometer:
    Lake Isabella, CA USA / Mai Chau, Vietnam
    Here's a few new things in the ongoing evolution into making the FE570 my perfect lightweight ADVenture bike.
    It's the little things. :evil

Chain guide, thanks to Lukas providing the part #'s. :clap

My chain has been hitting the tire once again, doesn't matter how it's adjusted, it's chunking the tire running it tight or loose, methinks that once a chain get a certain amount of miles on it, this having around 5000 on it, that it just stretches enough allowing enough side to side movement when slabbing long miles. So instead of replacing a chain that still just fine in every other way I'm trying out the KTM SM guide.
    It only took drilling and tapping one hole, using the existing hole that holds the chain slider in, I trimmed about an inch off the slider to fit the guide, so far so good.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Moving of the headlight up.

I've been wanting to do this for a couple reasons, first my spare tubes in the fender bag block the headlight somewhat and I would need to remove it for night riding to get the most lumens downrange, plus the mask hits the Safari tank when turning tight so up it needed to go.
    I cut off the nub thingie lower mounts off the fender, added a couple of longer bolts and loctnuts, then staying in Roadie fashion I wrapped some tape around the bolts - viola!
    The headlight is now raised 2" above the fender. I already had the aluminum brackets on there to extend and give me adjustment options on the upper headlight mounts so this works out just perfect. Due to the HID lamp I have in there, I'm at the limit of how high it can be moved up with the lamp assembly getting into the mess of wires, still it's a good improvement for me though.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

While I was at it, I moved the LED lights out an inch to give the lights better clearance of the mask that is now higher.

[​IMG]

USB charger.

I've always depended on the bike to charge my iProducts and cameras while traveling, though it was always happening while parked at camp since I used the SAE plug that pokes out under my seat going into the dongle I made and carried in my backpack: SAE > dual cigarette sockets > USB chargers. I thought it could serve me better if I could charge while riding in some cases, especially for helmet cams I always run out of juice so I added a dedicated USB charger going into the tank bag. A small slit in the not waterproof anyways GL bag with a couple of connectors inline so I can move the charger between my two tanks bags and I'm all set.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

B1, you're a madman! It's great to see a cool video with the Husa in proper ADV form, thanks for sharing! :clap

Brian, looking forward to seeing what you come up with, I would be interested in making a skid plate with storage, no interest in complicating fuel storage for me though. I have a large metal supply store locally that sells every kind of metal imaginable and allows you to pick through their stock and get leftover pieces at a large discount compared to ordering sheets. Could probably make one for a fraction of the cost without the filler necks and bungs.
    I always thought it could be cost effective to just buy the cheap aluminum skid plate for Husa's found on ebay and then add a tool box to it to reduce the labor and need to design of the plate itself, but you could be onto something.
    Good luck!
  3. cyborg

cyborg Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer:
    Nicely done Lost. I have that chain guide Lukas recommended and your pix just gave me a bit of motivation to get it installed. :thumb

Is that USB plug a 3BR part?
  4. Mr_Chris

Mr_Chris Get away, evil car!

Oddometer:
    You don't want them to melt on your 570 FE.

Well, I have an Akrapovic heat shield on mine which um.. may have impacted the ground a bit harshly when I overdid a stoppie recently... It's a CF plasticy one. Now with a bit of a crack in it (and me with a CF splinter in my finger, ow)

I figure you guys would have a line on a good beefy alum or SS one perhaps.

That pipe is HOT, especially when you're practicing stuff in a paddock and not getting much of a chance to speed up a lot. The guys duct-taped afire extinguisher to my bike as a sign of their love. :rofl I think the "FE" is for "Fire Extinguisher". :deal

Anyway -- best n toughest heat shield anyone?

Thanks,
    Chris
  5. Lost Roadie

Oddometer:
  6. mrt10x

mrt10x Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer:
    for the midpipe? the flatland racing aluminum is the one I replaced my CF one with. http://www.cyclebuy.com/shopping/flatland/flatland_pipeguard.htm#Larger_Images
  7. RememberTheFallen

RememberTheFallen Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ehhh.....that one is so ugly! Did you crack your carbon fiber one? I was about to buy the P3 cf guard, now you have me doubting it. The aluminum one is a hack of a lot cheaper though. Is it tough?
  8. mrt10x

mrt10x Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer:
    I cracked the P3 CF guard in about two rides.. it lasted until the end of the season though.. never drop your bike on the right side and it wont crack :D but CF sucks for impact areas..IMHO
  9. rensho

rensho Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  10. cyborg

Oddometer:

Couldn't tell what the power capacity was on the eBay unit. These guys make (2.1A) power waterproof USB connection ports. Bit more spendy.

http://www.3brpowersports.com/products.php
  11. Lost Roadie

Oddometer:

Not sure how you came up with that, the seller doesn't list that info in the sale, I found it originally here:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=569860&highlight=charger

It has a 1a output and is charging my iPad mini as we speak just fine at the same rate as the Apple wall charger. The Mini and the iPhone both ship with the same output chargers, as does my Sony Camera. My helmet cam also only needs 5w to charge at normal speeds so this charger will be fine for me. I've been using 1a USB chargers for some time on my bike, the kind that plug into cigarette outlets, no problem and that's why I went with this cheaper one.

If someone needs higher output this guy sells one too.

http://www.burnsmoto.com/waterproof-usb-charger-socket-panel-mount.php
  12. rensho

rensho Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Was reading the reviews on Amazon.
    http://www.amazon.com/USB-Weather-P...5071&sr=8-18&keywords=usb+to+12v+weatherproof

If it is 1A output, that should work well for a lot of things. I had read elsewhere it was only .5A. Some of the droids might have an issue. Good to know it works on your ipad.
  13. Lost Roadie

Oddometer:

Right on, amazing how much some folks charge for the same thing, business is business I guess.

.5A would be pushing it, though Apple chargers (for the Mini and iPhone) are only 5w so it still might work OK. Full size ipads come with a 12w charger.

Another good reason I would never buy a Droid. :evil
  14. cyborg

Oddometer:
    The one thing about 3BR (saw their booth at the KTM Rally in 2012) is they have engineered both sides of the problem. The bike power part and the USB port to the device part, all waterproof. Handy to use while raining if the USB port is exposed and not hiding in a tank bag.
  15. Mr_Chris

Oddometer:
    Yeah it looks okay but too flimsy for bumping... cracks in the middle.
  16. Mr_Chris

Oddometer:

Well, not in the middle but here's the pic:

[​IMG]
  17. Brian011952

Brian011952 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have the Flatland Racing guard on my 570 too. I've had two issues with it in the past year. The first issue is the breaks in the guard along the front edge work like teeth. I've had plant material get caught in here several time out on the trail and begin burning. It hasn't hurt the bike, but I'm a little concerned about the possibility of starting a wildfire. The second issue is the screw and brackets that hold it to the pipe. I've replaced the screws more than once and a bracket once. I finally safety wired them to keep them in place, Other than those two items, it is a good piece, just requiures a little attention if you are bush bashing and occasional maintenance.
  18. rensho

rensho Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That was a nice find cyborg and Lost.

I had been waiting to put in a 12v cig plug, then converting to USB, but now installing the USB plug just cuts out the middle man!

Lost, I left the iphone 4s to get a droid. ;-)
  19. rmhrc628

rmhrc628 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just installed a 3br USB tapp on my e start xr600.

I have no key - the passive loss of electricity is huge. These things draw power even with nothing plugged in!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  20. SuperD!

SuperD! Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Where Portlandia is more than just a TV show.

I noticed the same with the 3br USB wired directly to the battery on my WR250X. Seems like it takes about a week to draw the battery down, but it definitely has a significant draw (just sitting there, not charging anything). It's a great piece though & very waterproof...but probably a good idea to find a switched circuit to connect it to though.