Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-19-2013, 06:53 AM   #151
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,671
I am truly at odds with this cracking. I live in the hot desert southwest, where there are many days over 100 F. The sun cooks everything, and yet, I have no cracks in my tank on my '09... Truly stumped.

Erling
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 01:36 PM   #152
eddyturn
Wannabe

Oddometer: 1,814
You're just not doing it right.
Old 02-19-2013, 02:38 PM   #153
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,671
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddyturn View Post
You're just not doing it right.
I guess your right.... More flogging to come......

Erling
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:44 PM   #154
Pomo
gonzo

Oddometer: 609
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebrabaek View Post
I am truly at odds with this cracking. I live in the hot desert southwest, where there are many days over 100 F. The sun cooks everything, and yet, I have no cracks in my tank on my '09... Truly stumped.
Hopefully that bodes well for the new tank I got then. I didn't spot mine cracking until after I moved to NM, but in reality it could have been in that condition for months+ without me noticing.

"It's supposed to be a challenge, that's why they call it a shortcut. If it was easy it would just be the way." ~ Rubin, Road Trip

Pomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 05:39 PM   #155
SMSCCA
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Cracked tank on a 2011 with 500 miles

Just noticed that I too have a cracked tank...bummer. 2011 800 GS with 500 miles.
SMSCCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 04:21 PM   #156
Reaver
Outta Here

Oddometer: 2,837
So I was bored surfing on Ebay and found a tank in Jersey for $100 if anyone cares. No affiliation. Has a wrecked 658 he's parting out.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/BMW-F650GS-F6...item1e745d32e2

Just sayin......

Don't report me or anything.

Canadians have better gas.

Otta be for twice the price.

Leaving it all behind 2014

Reaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 05:30 PM   #157
Skoots
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
After seeing this thread I figured I would check my bike out. Thinking to myself, my bike should be fine, it's a 2013, has less then two hundred miles on it, just got it three weeks ago. Well...... low and behold it's starting to crack! Wtf! It's not bad but it's starting. Will be in contact with the dealer to get it replaced when I get my first service done.
Skoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 05:43 PM   #158
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skoots View Post
After seeing this thread I figured I would check my bike out. Thinking to myself, my bike should be fine, it's a 2013, has less then two hundred miles on it, just got it three weeks ago. Well...... low and behold it's starting to crack! Wtf! It's not bad but it's starting. Will be in contact with the dealer to get it replaced when I get my first service done.
Skoots:

This is just a suggestion ... and it might be a crap suggestion ... but ...
IMHO:

I would not panic... you have 3-years of warranty, and the tank is double-wall (or so we are told) so you are not supposed to be in danger of splashing gasoline on the hot exhaust or anything really dangerous.... Thus
I would wait until the crack gets really bad or until you are nearing the end of your 3-year warranty ... which ever comes first and THEN get them to replace it ...

I have confirmed with my local dealer that parts installed by the dealer (either under warranty or paid-by-customer) have a 2-year warranty.
So if you wait to end of 3-year warranty two good things might happen:
1) BMW will have come out with design that works and the replacement will last a lifetime.
2) If not, then you will have an "extended warranty" of an extra 2 years on the replacement

Note: some folks think that because the fuel tank is part of the "emissions control" system that the warranty might be longer than 3-years, but that might be hard (harder?) to enforce ....

Just my $0.02
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 06:02 PM   #159
Skoots
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRWooden View Post
Skoots:

This is just a suggestion ... and it might be a crap suggestion ... but ...
IMHO:

I would not panic... you have 3-years of warranty, and the tank is double-wall (or so we are told) so you are not supposed to be in danger of splashing gasoline on the hot exhaust or anything really dangerous.... Thus
I would wait until the crack gets really bad or until you are nearing the end of your 3-year warranty ... which ever comes first and THEN get them to replace it ...

I have confirmed with my local dealer that parts installed by the dealer (either under warranty or paid-by-customer) have a 2-year warranty.
So if you wait to end of 3-year warranty two good things might happen:
1) BMW will have come out with design that works and the replacement will last a lifetime.
2) If not, then you will have an "extended warranty" of an extra 2 years on the replacement

Note: some folks think that because the fuel tank is part of the "emissions control" system that the warranty might be longer than 3-years, but that might be hard (harder?) to enforce ....

Just my $0.02
Wasn't panicking.... More surprised then anything and irritated. Sounds like a plan. I will wait and see if Bmw comes out with a new design then get it replaced or just get it done before my warranty runs out if they don't.
Skoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 06:11 PM   #160
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,204
Sounds good!
Sorry I didn't mean to imply you WERE in a panic
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 12:47 PM   #161
Danzo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
2013 F700gs with 1600 miles, bought January this year, finally has crack on fuel filler side of tank. Pretty sad this has been a problem for so long.
Danzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 02:48 PM   #162
f800kris
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
My bike is a little older then the last few mentioned, 2009 f800gs. Its cracked down both sides almost all the way down. Just thought Id throw that out there. Called the dealership, not covered. They said not to worry unless it was just bother me and that no leak should occur.
f800kris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 03:31 PM   #163
Reaver
Outta Here

Oddometer: 2,837
Quote:
Originally Posted by f800kris View Post
. Called the dealership, not covered. They said not to worry unless it was just bother me and that no leak should occur.
Lots cracked but I've not heard of one leaking. It's a clear/white plastic tank with a black plastic covering. If it bothers you then keep an eye out on Ebay as there are usually one or two there. Big job to replace though.

I have a spare 2012 tank hidden away for either of our bikes.

Leaving it all behind 2014

Reaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 04:30 AM   #164
pilesofmiles
Life is an Adventure

Oddometer: 711
Learned from the dealer that I bought my F800 ADV from that BMW has addressed this issue by now using a thicker polymer wall on the outer gas tank black exterior shell on the newer 2014 model bikes. I guess time will tell if this is a really been addressed.
Old 07-02-2013, 03:44 PM   #165
fire88dog
CaptainStache

Oddometer: 93
Pissed 2013 800gs

OK, thought I had done my homework before the purchase... and that motorad had this figured out, apparently not. My 13 has less than 1500 mi. and it is cracked on both sides. I have contacted dealer and they will replace it of course, hope this isn't a regular effing occurrence!!
fire88dog is offline   Reply With Quote