Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-17-2013, 07:57 AM   #1
Biddy OP
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Question Luggage system for KLR650e

Hi everybody,

I'm a dutch girl and I bought a Kawasaki KLR 650e in Anchorage for my trip from Anchorage to Orlando (8 months or more, starting in June) and I'm currently trying to work out which luggage system suits my situation best.

I'm looking for hard cases (side and top) that can handle light off roads and are easy to (dis)mount as I intend to unload the panniers a lot (I only want to ride with the panniers as I'm moving from one hostel to another and than leave the bags in the hostel while exploring the area). And it seems a lot better if you can pack the bags as regular suitcase and not only from the top.

So far I looked at Pelican cases, Trax Evo, Micatech and Happy trails. Has anyone have some advice for me? Especially regarding the price, because it all seems pretty expensive......

Thanks!

Annemieke
Biddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 08:35 AM   #2
Alaskahack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 519
Everything is expensive,
Wolfman luggage offers an alternative to a hard cases. I've had Micatech Pilots for three years, great company. They pay attention to the mounting systems that hold the cases. Its is a good idea to get to cases that supply the mounting systems.
Otherwise its going to be all yours.

Good luck

Bob

Blog: alaskapeeks.blogspot.com

Retired and Riding
Alaskahack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 11:30 AM   #3
Beezer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,318
cases that open on the side are a pain when still on the bike... everything wants to fall out. they are OK if you can lay them out like a suitcase & might fit what you are doing. personally I hate them. Happy Trails has the cheapest hard boxes that are decent, but don't let them pre-drill the holes, do it yourself. Ortlieb has nice weatherproof saddlebags that don't require a rack.... not enough space for everything you need though. Wolfman has this big tube thing that looks like a good deal.

P.S. whats expensive is buying something that is crap & then having to replace it with something that works
Beezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 12:13 PM   #4
Alaskahack
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezer View Post

P.S. whats expensive is buying something that is crap & then having to replace it with something that works
+1 on that been there done all of that

Retired and Riding
Old 03-17-2013, 12:34 PM   #5
Cubdriver
Stampede Swimmer

Oddometer: 665
Pannier

Biddy, I am partial to the Happy Trail system and currently have three mounted sets of them:two on f650 GS's and one set on my KLR. They work great and protect your leg somewhat in a get off.

I have a extra pannier for sale if you decide on the Happy Trail. I laid my bike down after a deer strike and the right pannier was undamaged. BTW, the left one absorbed ALL the damage from the left lay down and subsequent skid down the highway.

Go to http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...r#post17219272

In order to see the pannier. If it works out that you want it, I live close to Anchorage and the pannier is safely tucked away in the shop. PM me if you are interested. Dick

For Mrs CD:F650GS, G650GS
Cubdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 05:27 PM   #6
Drunk_Uncle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,058
Touratech zegas are big money, worth the money. My wife ripped one off my Buell. A few minutes with a ball peen hammer and a rivet gun, good as new. I use them on my Tiger now.
Old 03-17-2013, 07:14 PM   #7
BARB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,814
Happy trails
Old 03-17-2013, 07:41 PM   #8
ThatGuy
Brownie

Oddometer: 4,587
Come on! Its a KLR! Just bungie cord a couple of these

I'd go with the Happy Trails or try to find a metal shop that could make you some. I had some made a few years back from a fabricator down in Soldotna for the half the price of the HT.
Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The views expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer.
ThatGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 07:42 PM   #9
schlapster
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
KLR Cans (Panniers)

Here is my ghetto setup. Happy trails hard case racks with the puck kit. And some 20mm military ammunition cans. They are are heavy and take a bit of work to remove the welded on supports to fit the racks, but I got mine for cheap. I think one can procure them from that Army surplus store on Spenard. Heard they are like $20 a pop. They are sealed on top and I am fabricating my own rubber seals for the puck holes, leaked a bit. They are very sturdy and crash worthy. Took a chunk out of the asphalt when I crashed. I can take some pics and post if you would like.
schlapster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 08:08 PM   #10
Cubdriver
Stampede Swimmer

Oddometer: 665
Quote:
Originally Posted by schlapster View Post
Here is my ghetto setup. Happy trails hard case racks with the puck kit. And some 20mm military ammunition cans. They are are heavy and take a bit of work to remove the welded on supports to fit the racks, but I got mine for cheap. I think one can procure them from that Army surplus store on Spenard. Heard they are like $20 a pop. They are sealed on top and I am fabricating my own rubber seals for the puck holes, leaked a bit. They are very sturdy and crash worthy. Took a chunk out of the asphalt when I crashed. I can take some pics and post if you would like.

He must ride a DR

For Mrs CD:F650GS, G650GS
Cubdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 08:23 PM   #11
TxLoneRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 343
everyone is different.

Funny, I have only ever had hinge out paniers, and have never had a problem.

With budget in mind, for hard paniers, I would recommend you look at SW Motec racks and Givi bags. They might work for you.

Well, more specifically:
http://www.twistedthrottle.com/sw-mo...user-sidecases
with
http://www.twistedthrottle.com/givi-...36-liters-case
and
http://www.twistedthrottle.com/givi-...45-liters-case

If I can recall correctly. Basically the rack is asymmetrical, but the outer edge of the cases where within a 1/2" of each other.

Not the prettiest solution, but they worked. Got my stuff up to AK and back to TX. The left side took 2 hits, and the right 3 hits. Hey, its a dual purpose bike . I would take with you an extra latch. I looked on TT's website, but could not find it. The first time I went down with the Givi luggage it broke, and would have been 2 minutes to fix it if I had the part. I have one here, that you are welcome to if you go the Givi route.

Here is what the luggage looked like right after I got it installed

And with some bling

I really like my KLR650, just not enough power for me. Very comfortable bike. I put a Double Bubble windscreen on it, and SW Motec crash bars, and really enjoyed riding it. Oh, can't forget the Sargent seat, and the do-hicky!!!
TxLoneRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 09:35 PM   #12
Beezer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,318
do 200 miles of dirt road in the pissin rain, pull over to get something out of the case, open it up & watch half your crap fall out... the road mud droolin off the case on whats left inside. been there, done that. I had the BMW vario cases for a couple years on my gs. they sucked for the type of riding I do. like I said.... might work for you you

I have had several sets of soft luggage on my KLR. currently running Ortleib & like them. I had hard bags on for a while... liked them but usually don;t need that much storage. I kept everything low so I didn't have to kick my leg over a top box

you can see the small river bags on my HT nerf bars (sorry, Gen II are different)

Beezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 10:30 PM   #13
Drunk_Uncle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,058
Happy Trail also has small bags that mount to the engine bars they sell. I recommend some kind of protection for the engine and tank. A friend had their bags on his KLR and F650GS and looked good and durable. If you are takin luggage into the hotel each night, get liners. Trust me. I traveled all over Europe with Triumph bag liners on my Sprint ST. If I had to take the hard bags with me every night it would have sucked. Especially the 2 mile walk from parking garage to hotel in Venice. When you get to the hotel, just pull the light bag liner out with you to hotel room.

Are you in Europe right now? My wife is German if you need a place to stay while in Anchorage. I may be gone by the time you arrive in Alaska, but she will be here.
Old 03-18-2013, 11:09 PM   #14
ADVBMR
Polygamotorcyclist

Oddometer: 832
It all depends on how much pindakaas you carry. If you plan to camp, then you need to take a tent, sleeping gear, and cooking gear with your pindakaas. Panniers and a top bag would be helpful. But if you are hosteling, couchsurfing, hoteling, then you only need a top bag on a rear rack.

I keep a rear rack on my bikes and if I'm not camping, I appreciate carrying only a tank bag and duffle inside. I've actually managed to reduce my camping gear to where I can put that and another bag on the rear. It all depends on how light you can travel. You only need a little pindakaas.

The first rule of travel: twice the money, half the clothes.
IBA #47244
2007 R1200GS; 2006 DL650 V-Strom; 2011 F800R; 2013 CRF250L; 1995 R1100GS (sold); 2006 Ducati Multistrada 620 dark (sold)
ADVBMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 07:42 AM   #15
Alaskahack
Adventurer

Couldn't resist

Retired and Riding