ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Face plant
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-17-2013, 11:06 PM   #76
Calimari
Studly Adventurer
 
Calimari's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: San Mateo County, CA
Oddometer: 512
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pecha72 View Post
In a way, yes. Though I disagree it was aggressive. Aggressive is forcing someone to give way to you, and that's not really do-able on a motorcycle vs. a truck.

But if you're clueless about how traffic works in that part of the world, then its useless trying to explain, and the same thing shows through the whole thread. No offence meant, though.
No, please try to explain. What feature of that part of the world compels one to close on the rear end of the truck in the fast lane at warp speed then slash over and gas it trying to pass in the slow lane as soon as a miniscule, zero visibility gap appears when there is almost no other traffic on the road?

Because it's fun and a rush? OK, I can buy that.

Because SE Asia somehow requires it? Oh, BS. The video told the whole story. Wait a couple more seconds for the gap between the two trucks to grow, and the risk drops tenfold, and he probably keeps the rubber side down and gets to wherever he was going ultimately days sooner.

You know; smooth is fast.
Calimari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 07:16 AM   #77
atomicalex
silly aluminum boxes
 
atomicalex's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: Detroit & Düsseldorf
Oddometer: 1,546
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravellingStrom View Post
So, in a nutshell they are all dangerous drivers over here, but very polite about it :)

You have to experience it to believe it. The best way is to hire a TukTuk and see if you can be a relaxed passenger
I would argue that anyone who has neverparticipated in traffic outside of North America really has no idea what it is like in the ROW.

I do stuff in Germany that would get me shot in the US - very tight passes, high speeds, filtering - and it is not only expected, it is often the law. And it is only moreso in countries where two-wheelers are the majority of transportation.

I find it funny that some riders will scream and yell about their rights, but when confronted with the reality of two-wheelers with full right-of-way, they panic.
__________________
Katherine, in words - F650GSa - CBR250R (sold) - Nine Days in the Alps
atomicalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 08:13 AM   #78
TravellingStrom OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
TravellingStrom's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Rockhampton, Australia
Oddometer: 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicalex View Post
I would argue that anyone who has neverparticipated in traffic outside of North America really has no idea what it is like in the ROW.

I do stuff in Germany that would get me shot in the US - very tight passes, high speeds, filtering - and it is not only expected, it is often the law. And it is only moreso in countries where two-wheelers are the majority of transportation.

I find it funny that some riders will scream and yell about their rights, but when confronted with the reality of two-wheelers with full right-of-way, they panic.
You got it right there, they can sit back and pontifact about anything, it is worthless unless they have been there and experienced it first hand.

Nothing I say and do is correct in their minds, because they are right, and do I care, not a jot

and btw, the bike is fixed, heading to Malaysia tomorrow morning, another country they have not been to probably, so I will report on the riding style needed there as well

Cheers
TS
__________________
www.travellingstrom.com
TravellingStrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 08:41 AM   #79
NCK
Gnarly Adventurer
 
NCK's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: Taxation Without Representation (DC)
Oddometer: 481
I see both sides of this argument. I really do. But for me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calimari View Post
Wait a couple more seconds for the gap between the two trucks to grow, and the risk drops tenfold
it's really hard to disagree with that. That's the decision I'd make and all the cons of sitting behind that truck for hours would be removed.
NCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 01:54 AM   #80
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Helsinki, Finland
Oddometer: 2,699
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCK View Post
That's the decision I'd make and all the cons of sitting behind that truck for hours would be removed.
Let's get back to that, after you've actually done Asia on your bike. Somehow seems to widen people's perspective - helps you realize, why riding in US, or Europe, or Oz, is in the end quite easy (and safe) compared to most other parts of the world, and how you may need to learn a whole different game.

So go to India, or Pakistan, or Indonesia, ride them all on your bike, and THEN go back behind the keyboard, and lecture a world traveller, how he should ride (so for one thing, you´ll have more than 30 seconds of video, where to base your views on.)

Pecha72 screwed with this post 03-21-2013 at 03:38 AM
Pecha72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 06:25 AM   #81
NCK
Gnarly Adventurer
 
NCK's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: Taxation Without Representation (DC)
Oddometer: 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pecha72 View Post
Let's get back to that, after you've actually done Asia on your bike. Somehow seems to widen people's perspective - helps you realize, why riding in US, or Europe, or Oz, is in the end quite easy (and safe) compared to most other parts of the world, and how you may need to learn a whole different game.

So go to India, or Pakistan, or Indonesia, ride them all on your bike, and THEN go back behind the keyboard, and lecture a world traveller, how he should ride (so for one thing, you´ll have more than 30 seconds of video, where to base your views on.)
I couldn't agree more that there are two different perspectives here and I don't have one of them to speak from, but when I'm speaking from my very limited experience (which I "wear on my sleeve", in my signature) and softly and kindly offer my perspective, and to have you aggressively come after me by say I'm lecturing him, that's awful shitty of you and just completely unnecessary.

I said nothing against him. I never said I thought he should do it another way or he's wrong. I said I saw both sides of it. And I just gave my perspective, based on my experience.

We all have got to treat each other better on here, this is just not necessary.
NCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 06:43 AM   #82
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Helsinki, Finland
Oddometer: 2,699
ok, it wasn´t actually you, who was lecturing the guy. I´m sorry, that I offended you.

I still find it funny though, that there´s a short video clip showing, how shit sometimes happens in that traffic, and the OP even admits that he made a mistake (so easy to see that, when you´ve got the luxury of hindsight at your disposal), but you still get all sorts of armchair experts boasting here, how much above all this they would be, even though they´ve never ridden there.

So, how different could it be from home.....


Pecha72 screwed with this post 03-21-2013 at 06:55 AM
Pecha72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 10:44 PM   #83
feldjäger
Gnarly Adventurer
 
feldjäger's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Oddometer: 131
that oil slick looked nasty, his riding set aside, think that was a setup for failure at some point, and for someone.
feldjäger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 05:09 AM   #84
tommyvdv
Gnarly Adventurer
 
tommyvdv's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: Belgium
Oddometer: 337
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravellingStrom View Post
The brand is IXS and the model? I think is called the ventilation system
don't know if it's still relevant but…
Your jacket looks like an IXS "montevideo" and the pants that go with it are "caracas"

http://static.rad.be/media/media791269094.pdf

Oh and…
Glad you survived.
tommyvdv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 06:27 AM   #85
TravellingStrom OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
TravellingStrom's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Rockhampton, Australia
Oddometer: 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyvdv View Post
don't know if it's still relevant but…
Your jacket looks like an IXS "montevideo" and the pants that go with it are "caracas"

http://static.rad.be/media/media791269094.pdf

Oh and…
Glad you survived.
Hi and of course it is still relevant and thanks for the thought on my survival :) I bought them in a foreign country and I have looked but cannot find any labels or tags on them that say "I am this model such and such" But, maybe I need to be pointed in the right direction?

If you reckon they are that, I will go with that :) As I cannot understand the PDF file due to my woeful lack of German/Swiss/Austrian I cannot say what I bought :)

Cheers
TS
__________________
www.travellingstrom.com
TravellingStrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 01:13 AM   #86
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Helsinki, Finland
Oddometer: 2,699
Asked a Suzuki mechanic about the tip-over sensor thing. It's like a 'pendulum', and while cornering won't activate it, under certain circumstances a real sudden swerve maneuver might (and cutting off right that second could be dangerous) so actually there is a time delay. I thought mine have always gone off immediately after a spill, though.
Pecha72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 03:24 AM   #87
tommyvdv
Gnarly Adventurer
 
tommyvdv's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: Belgium
Oddometer: 337
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravellingStrom View Post
Hi and of course it is still relevant and thanks for the thought on my survival :) I bought them in a foreign country and I have looked but cannot find any labels or tags on them that say "I am this model such and such" But, maybe I need to be pointed in the right direction?

If you reckon they are that, I will go with that :) As I cannot understand the PDF file due to my woeful lack of German/Swiss/Austrian I cannot say what I bought :)

Cheers
TS
if they look The part and are not goretex lined those are the models you have.

a friend of mine has the same and is pretty happy with how well ventilated/warm they are.

the brand name is ixs.

he'll be happy to know how we'll they've performed in the protection and wear departments :)
tommyvdv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 04:51 AM   #88
TravellingStrom OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
TravellingStrom's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Rockhampton, Australia
Oddometer: 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pecha72 View Post
Asked a Suzuki mechanic about the tip-over sensor thing. It's like a 'pendulum', and while cornering won't activate it, under certain circumstances a real sudden swerve maneuver might (and cutting off right that second could be dangerous) so actually there is a time delay. I thought mine have always gone off immediately after a spill, though.
Yes, the sensor swings on an arc and it has a two second delay. For some reason mine did not shut off, but it is still working now?? I have replaced it of course, but not sure why it failed. It might have gotten jammed when the bike slammed down, but that is what they are designed for, to move under load, so I don;t know :(

Cheers
TS
__________________
www.travellingstrom.com
TravellingStrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 04:52 AM   #89
TravellingStrom OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
TravellingStrom's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Rockhampton, Australia
Oddometer: 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyvdv View Post
if they look The part and are not goretex lined those are the models you have.

a friend of mine has the same and is pretty happy with how well ventilated/warm they are.

the brand name is ixs.

he'll be happy to know how we'll they've performed in the protection and wear departments :)
Mine had removable goretex liners which work :)
__________________
www.travellingstrom.com
TravellingStrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:29 PM   #90
chazbird
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Oddometer: 2,794
Thailand/Laos/Cambodia/Vietnam/Malaysia/Nepal/Pakistan/India/Indonesia. I've ridden all over those places and lived (and rode) in the latter two. So here I am - I am going to lecture the OP AKA "you". I understand when you have to be "smart" and do something that looks aggressive but in reality its just positioning yourself but that was a class A jackass move between those two trucks. Yep waiting for the gap to lengthen would have made it far less potentially fatal. (and in this case you'd have been in the other lane avoiding the oil while waiting for the gap) You're so lucky you didn't decapitate yourself on some rusty road sign, or were run over by the truck or something else horrific. I only looked at the pot-hole & trucks video from the compilation, was that you too? Whoever it was that also was Jackass and pointless riding. Basically in SE Asia 40-80 kph is about all you should do - sure, speed up to get a clear area, but still, it's not about threading the gap all the time and racing ahead. Besides, there aren't any medivac helicopters in Cambodia, etc. And in some of those places when (if) you get to the hospital you'll be even more afraid. Simply put; its not worth it to ride like that. Isn't one supposed to be visiting another country and culture? I always felt that 60 - 200 km's a day is plenty. What's the rush? By the way, if you ride like that in Malaysia you'll likely be pulled over and ticketed. They'll certainly tick the Jackass box and fine you big time.
chazbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 02:35 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014