Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-19-2007, 10:46 PM   #61
davevv OP
One more old rider

Oddometer: 2,309
Quote:
Originally Posted by FotoTEX
My question now is where do you ride now that I have riden to Alaska? Any suggestions?

This country is full of great places to ride. Dallas to San Angelo, Fort Davis, Big Bend, and back through the hill country is great. To Carlsbad Caverns, White Sands, the Painted Desert, the Petrified Forest, The Grand Canyon and back through Santa Fe was a great trip. The Sangre de Cristo mountains in northern New Mexico and southern Colorado are gorgeous. There is beautiful country in Arkansas, Missouri, Kentucky, Tennessee, etc., etc.

Where am I going next? I don't know yet, but the west coast, southern Utah, and Kentucky (the state I was born in) are all still on my list of places to go. I'd like to do the New England states and Nova Scotia that bad weather and a bad clutch in the 1100GS kept me out of last year. When that is done, I'll just pick a spot on the map I haven't been to yet and head out.

I didn't make this trip to be able to say I'd ridden to Alaska. I did it to see new places and meet new people. If you haven't seen all the places and met all the people, then there are still places to ride to. You can find beauty, interesting sights, and great people anywhere you go. That's the reason I make these trips.

davevv screwed with this post 07-19-2007 at 11:14 PM
davevv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 04:19 AM   #62
Tom S
Can I ride it?

Oddometer: 4,191
Hi Dave. I met you while you were camped at the HD shop in Anchorage. I was on an '06 Uly that that I had bought used the month before. You will recall that I wanted to sit on your new '07 to check out the new, lower seat. Thank you.

I am sure I passed you going the other way as I was coming back to Anchorage from Dawson City. Don't remember where that was , but did see at least one orange Uly. I am thinking that it must have been between Dawson & Chicken, Sunday, June 24.
Are you saying that you went from Tok to Dawson on one tank? You showed a pic looking back towards Chicken, but--
Oh, always get gas at Chicken.
Tom S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 04:44 AM   #63
Tom S
Can I ride it?

Oddometer: 4,191
BTW, do you have this seeping from the front oil cooler line, like most XB's I have looked at since I got this bike? I believe I mentioned this & pointed it out at the time. The fitting is tight.
After that 1150 miles, it looked like this. But I can not see that it has used any oil over that time.
That's good.

Tom S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 06:24 AM   #64
All4Fun
Let the good times roll!

Oddometer: 182
Hi Dave - Many thanks for an interesting report. Being one of those old guys, I really enjoy reading their stories and appreciate the wisdom, good grammar and spelling. One point that kept bothering me: how did you register the bike in AK? As a TX bike, or AK? And would you re-register upon returning home? Wondering how that works ... thanks again, you are an inspiration!
All4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 07:35 AM   #65
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,296
Quote:
Originally Posted by All4Fun
Hi Dave - Many thanks for an interesting report. Being one of those old guys, I really enjoy reading their stories and appreciate the wisdom, good grammar and spelling. One point that kept bothering me: how did you register the bike in AK? As a TX bike, or AK? And would you re-register upon returning home? Wondering how that works ... thanks again, you are an inspiration!
Probably just a transfer plate, or for us here in Canada, all we need to get plates is proof of insurance, and a bill of sale. Easily faxed before departure. I usually have plates, registration etc. with me when I go to pick up a bike and they attach my plate for me while I'm getting my walk around.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 07:56 AM   #66
davevv OP
One more old rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom S
Hi Dave. I met you while you were camped at the HD shop in Anchorage. I was on an '06 Uly that that I had bought used the month before. You will recall that I wanted to sit on your new '07 to check out the new, lower seat. Thank you.

I am sure I passed you going the other way as I was coming back to Anchorage from Dawson City. Don't remember where that was , but did see at least one orange Uly. I am thinking that it must have been between Dawson & Chicken, Sunday, June 24.
Are you saying that you went from Tok to Dawson on one tank? You showed a pic looking back towards Chicken, but--
Oh, always get gas at Chicken.
That would have been you getting off the ferry at Dawson City as I was getting on. Yes, Tok to Dawson City was one tank of gas (actually only 3.6 gal.), I didn't go back to Chicken and I didn't use the extra gallon I had with me. The reserve light came on right there at the ferry. There is a tiny bit of oil seepage on the rear oil cooler line on mine, but it isn't even enough to have covered the nut yet. The front line doesn't seep at all. The service guy in Missoula mentioned putting teflon tape on the fitting to stop it when I asked him about it. Glad your belt with the nick in it held up for the trip.

davevv screwed with this post 07-20-2007 at 08:26 AM
Old 07-20-2007, 08:04 AM   #67
davevv OP
One more old rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by All4Fun
The title (as obtained by House of Harley) has my Texas address listed as the mailing address and the address of their bike rental place next door is listed as the residence. That was actually true at the time as I was staying in the campground there. It has an Alaska plate and title. I do need to change to a Texas registration now that I'm home though.

davevv screwed with this post 07-20-2007 at 08:14 AM
Old 07-20-2007, 09:52 AM   #68
clarkebd
Huh?

Oddometer: 819
Great Writeup!

Thanks for taking the time to write this up. I was especially interested because of the Buell Uly angle it had.

I need to get out on a test ride of one. The styling has always looked good to me!

98 Moto Guzzi V11 EV - SOLD

If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough - Mario Andretti
clarkebd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 02:17 PM   #69
EdOriginal
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 564
Great Ride Report

Great Report
Great Pictures
Great Buell Commercial
We went to almost exactly the same sites

thanks for sharing,
Old 02-12-2008, 07:39 PM   #70
ski-dog
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Davevv

Thanks for the great report / story. It was a most interesting read.
ski-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 08:44 PM   #71
tankhead
Path less traveled

Oddometer: 171
Tanks for the ride report. Interesting to note that if one is looking for sights to go no further than BC. Banff and Yellowstone indeed. I will be turning 40 this May and for my forties I have promised myself to do a trip every summer. This summer is Grand canyon, Utah bryce zion, moab, western CO and then home on my soon to buy 2008 Thrust Blue ULY. I will be trading my City-X. Mexico is on the list along with the great white north for this new goal during my forties. I really do appreciate you writing this report. tanks again, Chris
Old 03-17-2013, 11:48 PM   #72
akdduem
n00b

Oddometer: 1
with this story is that I'm a bike junkie. I've had quite a few from most of the major brands since I started riding in 1961. When I see something new and interesting I usually end up with one and the Ulysses had caught my eye. If I hadn't been jonesing for the Uly, I probably would have bought a new Sargent seat for my '99 1100GS and done a round trip

Dallas Locksmith
akdduem is offline   Reply With Quote