ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-17-2013, 07:17 PM   #16
hennessyktm OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: TN
Oddometer: 39
Got it

Got it! I looked elsewhere as many recommended (thanks).

No more eyeballing it, went out and bought a micrometer. Measured each fiber and steel disc, the clutch springs, and the distance of movement of the clutch when lever is pulled. Everything was above KTM's minimum threshold except for the clutch springs. The manual says new they're 30.77mm and minimum length is 29mm. All 6 springs came in under 29mm, the lowest being 28.33mm. To see if it'd work, I stretched the springs to 31mm.

I also pulled the clutch jet and cleaned it. I didn't notice anything in there but who knows, it may have had some junk in there.

Put it back together, fired it up, and she went into gear perfectly. Took her for a short ride and it felt great. I figure it was the springs.

I am going to order some new EBC springs ASAP.
hennessyktm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 07:57 PM   #17
Deviant666
Present
 
Deviant666's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Earth
Oddometer: 527
Quote:
Originally Posted by hennessyktm View Post
Got it! I looked elsewhere as many recommended (thanks).

No more eyeballing it, went out and bought a micrometer. Measured each fiber and steel disc, the clutch springs, and the distance of movement of the clutch when lever is pulled. Everything was above KTM's minimum threshold except for the clutch springs. The manual says new they're 30.77mm and minimum length is 29mm. All 6 springs came in under 29mm, the lowest being 28.33mm. To see if it'd work, I stretched the springs to 31mm.

I also pulled the clutch jet and cleaned it. I didn't notice anything in there but who knows, it may have had some junk in there.

Put it back together, fired it up, and she went into gear perfectly. Took her for a short ride and it felt great. I figure it was the springs.

I am going to order some new EBC springs ASAP.
Nice catch grats...
__________________
KTM 990 Adventure White 2009 R specced
ZZR1400 ABS 2008
Deviant666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 08:01 PM   #18
Racer111v
Studly Adventurer
 
Racer111v's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Hudson, NH
Oddometer: 507
Glad you solved the problem.

Weak clutch springs would allow the clutch slip, not drag. I would go ahead and replace the springs, but I'm betting it was something else you did that solved the problem.
__________________
2004 KTM 950 ADV ...............................1979 Suzuki RM400 VMX Race bike
2006 DR-Z400E plated........................... 2001 Ducati ST2 944
2001 YZ250N 2T plated.......................... 1986 Yamaha FJ1200
Racer111v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 01:29 AM   #19
gefr
Life is a trip
 
gefr's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: East Med, Greece
Oddometer: 3,788
What he said.

for a nice outcome.
Cheers
gefr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 01:54 AM   #20
Vicks
I love sand !!!
 
Vicks's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Abu Dhabi, UAE
Oddometer: 3,012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer111v View Post
Weak clutch springs would allow the clutch slip, not drag. I would go ahead and replace the springs, but I'm betting it was something else you did that solved the problem.
+1

glad that the problem is sorted out but i think the same as above.


Quote:
Originally Posted by hennessyktm View Post
I read of some guys removing the slave itself and bleeding it when removed from the bike thus getting out trapped air. I am going to try that. Also tracking not to pump/touch the lever with the stock slave off the bike. I know Ive bled this bike to death, but I dont know what else to do.
If you ever think of actually doing this, don't pull the clutch lever with the slave dismounted. The hydraulic pressure will force the slave piston out of the bore, damaged by the retaining circlip which will be pushed out of its groove. resulting in a wrecked clutch slave unit.

cheers
__________________
GO !!! Berglund brothers
GO !!! CS Santosh
Vicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 06:51 AM   #21
rossguzzi
990 Adv.
 
rossguzzi's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Location: Bottom left hand side of OZ
Oddometer: 857
I have a hunch it (in my case) could be wear on the pressure plate surface. We measure plates etc, but I can not find a measurement for the pressure plate. If it wears, then surely the thing will drag because it is not throwing out as far as it should. I have been toying with the idea of fitting a very thin shim washer on the end of the rod where it mates up to the bearing.
Any thoughts?
rossguzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 03:41 PM   #22
gefr
Life is a trip
 
gefr's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: East Med, Greece
Oddometer: 3,788
I am afraid you got it vice versa.

If clutch discs, or fibers or pressure plate or springs are worn, the result is clutch slippage. Clutch grabbing is the result of wrapped discs or ??? I believe something was misplaced in this clutch, but don't know what...

Now installing a shim washer at the end of the pushrod will result to the pushrod sitting deeper in the slave cyl, which will compensate for that, keeping less mineral oil. Hydraulic clutch does exactly that: compensates for small clutch differences, new or worn clutch assy, filling the gap with hydraulic fluid.
gefr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 06:48 AM   #23
hennessyktm OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: TN
Oddometer: 39
Hmmm...now you guys have me wondering...at least it's working!
hennessyktm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 08:11 AM   #24
TA-Zappa
Gnarly Adventurer
 
TA-Zappa's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Oddometer: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by hennessyktm View Post
Hmmm...now you guys have me wondering...at least it's working!
Don't worry it's a KTM it's designed to do that.... ;)
Agree with everyone else but KTM and clutches are not working as all the rest I guess.

So quite worrying about what caused it and ride it 'til next time it's time to think about what might be wrong. If it's working it must be something digital, right? Don't touch!

/Zappa
__________________
'05 950 Adv S - 73000km
'14 Beta RR 350 - 15h
'14 Beta RR 350 - 2h (Stolen)
'09 250 EXC-F SixDays - 184h (Stolen)
'98 XL600V Transalp - 86000km - SOLD
TA-Zappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 02:56 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014