User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-06-2013, 09:07 PM   #1336
MadMax
Marveling...

Oddometer: 409
Odem, Israel

This is my bike on top of Har Odem, a small extinct volcano, just South of Mt. Hermon (in the background). Mt. Hermon is the highest peak in Israel and also home to Israel's only ski area. A cold ride today, about 6 C.

MadMax

MadMax screwed with this post 03-06-2013 at 09:09 PM Reason: sp
MadMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 06:13 AM   #1337
Wilson9068
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
A few mods

So I picked up my new to me 2010 Tenere a few weeks ago. Since then I have been going through this thread and XT660.com to look at a few mods. After settling on a tyre change to MITAS E09's front and rears, a new exhaust and the AIS pipe mod I finished them all today.

Thought I would post up the exhaust installation in case anyone gets some info from it.

Exhaust arrived from MTC. Super service and arrived within 5 days well packaged.

First of removed the rear hanger bracket including lights and the plastics that sit on top of the tail. Removed the original end cans and then fitted the link pipe and the exhaust. I sealed the link pipe to the them down pipe and then the end can to the link pipe using a high temperature exhaust sealant.

Finally I reassembled the rear of the bike, excluding the reinforcement plate for the number plate bracket. I think JMo recommended this in one her posts as a weight saving tip (I think it weights just shy of a kilo).

While I was at it I also did the AIS mod to stop the backfiring. Removed the pipe from the top right of the airbox and plugged it with a stopper I made up. Its pretty difficult to get to that pipe by the way. I found I had to go in from the top removing the seat, the tank bracket and the snorkel. Even then trying to get the pliers onto the clip that holds the pipe onto the airbox was quite difficult.

Measuring the sound from the pipe it is UK legal, but sounds quite loud. Will see if I can live with it for the next few months, if not I may look for an alternative. I like the single can look. Any recommendations.
Wilson9068 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 08:37 AM   #1338
wide
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 386
Does look nice, but from what I hear most seem to be saying after a while the MTC stuff gets on your pip. Pity because they do look good dont they. I have just de catted my standard exhaust and its a great sound
I cant see why MTC dont offer a quieter option, my mate has just fitted a single GPR can to his older 3YF Tenere and it came witha quiet insert that is barely louder than my new age Ten.
XR 400 gone
Transalp 600 gone
wide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 09:09 AM   #1339
NACO
Me gusta la moto

Oddometer: 23
Here is mine. I posted some photos a year or two ago, but since then I had made some modifications:

- WR forks, clamps and wheel
- mini rear light
- kev mod
- otr exhaust
- dna filter
- seat modification
- and many other little mods...

Hope you like it, I love it!!

Old 03-17-2013, 10:32 AM   #1340
dashmoto
Serial Tinkerer

Oddometer: 414
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson9068 View Post

Measuring the sound from the pipe it is UK legal, but sounds quite loud. Will see if I can live with it for the next few months, if not I may look for an alternative. I like the single can look. Any recommendations.
Didn't yours come with a removable baffle? Doesn't look like there's one fitted in the photos.

The one that came with mine originally was made from perforated tube, but still made quite a difference. It then fell out during the Cambrian Rally in October, so I had to order a new one (~£20) from them. The newer ones are a lot more solid. Doesn't seem to make any noticeable difference to the power, but is slightly quieter again.

www.dashmoto.net
dashmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 04:54 AM   #1341
webbiker
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
How do you guys get the rim tapes to stick? I can't get anything to stick on the Tenere rims.
webbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 12:55 AM   #1342
dallastx
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 401
Here´s a piccie of my new comfort saddle(standard height) from Touratech/Kahedo for my '08 Tenere: after testing it, I can say it's way more comfortable then the OEM saddle, no more sore butt....
Way to go to do some more long hauls!!

XT660Z Tenere '08 http://dallastx.smugmug.com

Visit www.xt660.com and www.hank3.com
dallastx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 05:43 AM   #1343
dashmoto
Serial Tinkerer

After a two month, frame-up rebuild in preparation for a 12 weeks trip to the US, today I finally took my bike for it's MOT test*.

Naturally when you haven't ridden for a while, and you're trying to bed in a new bike, which has got even taller (it was already about 1.5" taller than the stock bike) with an 18" rear wheel and fresh tyres, what you really need is to find a couple of inches of snow on the ground

*UK annual roadworthiness test for vehicles over three years old, for the foreigners.

www.dashmoto.net
Old 03-23-2013, 07:03 AM   #1344
dallastx
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 401
Man&machine ready for the new ridin' season, let the spring begin!

XT660Z Tenere '08 http://dallastx.smugmug.com

Visit www.xt660.com and www.hank3.com
dallastx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 01:55 AM   #1345
Wilson9068
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashmoto View Post
After a two month, frame-up rebuild in preparation for a 12 weeks trip to the US, today I finally took my bike for it's MOT test*.

Naturally when you haven't ridden for a while, and you're trying to bed in a new bike, which has got even taller (it was already about 1.5" taller than the stock bike) with an 18" rear wheel and fresh tyres, what you really need is to find a couple of inches of snow on the ground

*UK annual roadworthiness test for vehicles over three years old, for the foreigners.
Nice ride. Did you do a build report by the way? Hope the MOT went well? When do you start the US trip and what are your route plans. Are you riding the TAT?
Old 03-24-2013, 01:58 AM   #1346
Wilson9068
Adventurer

[QUOTE=dallastx;21015016]Man&machine ready for the new ridin' season, let the spring begin!

Looking good. Wish the roads in the UK were that clear. Like dashmoto I,e woken up to 3 inches of snow. Enjoy your riding.
Old 03-24-2013, 03:05 AM   #1347
dashmoto
Serial Tinkerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson9068 View Post
Nice ride. Did you do a build report by the way? Hope the MOT went well? When do you start the US trip and what are your route plans. Are you riding the TAT?
Cheers!

If you're on XT660.com, most of the build details are on there, thread title is "Commuter, Adventurer...Racer?". Otherwise it's all blogged at www.dashmoto.net.

Passed the MOT with flying colours. Amusingly, the tester got me to do the brake test because he wasn't tall enough to hold it upright on the rollers.

In exactly four weeks from now, I'll be in mid-air over the Atlantic. I'm out there for twelve weeks. The plan is roughly to ride the TAT over to the west coast, then return by whatever route looks interesting. I'm making a detour to the Overland Expo from somewhere mid-TAT, and may end up doing a bit more exploring around the south at that point if (when) it turns out there's still snow on the rockies.

I'll probably do a retrospective ride report on here, because that seems to work better. Will be blogging some stuff on my site as I go along.

www.dashmoto.net
Old 03-25-2013, 09:41 AM   #1348
rtwpaul
out riding...

Oddometer: 1,683
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashmoto View Post
Cheers!

I'm making a detour to the Overland Expo from somewhere mid-TAT, and may end up doing a bit more exploring around the south at that point if (when) it turns out there's still snow on the rockies.
are you stopping by so we can ride to the OX together from Vegas or will i just see you there?
rtwpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 09:51 AM   #1349
NL-Patrick
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51

My Ten at the "Lac Rose" in Dakar Senegal
NL-Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 12:28 PM   #1350
dashmoto
Serial Tinkerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtwpaul View Post
are you stopping by so we can ride to the OX together from Vegas or will i just see you there?
Didn't realise that you were going this year. Will be coming from East-ish, so I guess see you there.

Weather permitting, was thinking of trying to get round to the North Rim, so may well loop round Vegas-wards after the OX weekend.

www.dashmoto.net