Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-18-2013, 06:57 AM   #466
trapperj
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 470
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deans BMW View Post
Do they check and adjust if needed the valves at the 600 mile service?

BTW, the Strada is fantastic playing go fast on some of these twisty roads up here. I stayed with a guy on a Kaw 1400 Ninga and a guy on his K1300S, the lean angle on this bike is amazing. I find that I am in full WFO mode on some of these fine mountain roads. Only have hit the rev limiter once, but spend a lot of time between 6 and 7.5 K R's. . this little wonder really hauls ass.

My experience too...use the whole face of the tach...change when it feels like its nosing over...repeat! Big smiles...
trapperj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 07:06 AM   #467
Meriden
Yea whatever

Oddometer: 656
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDogAdventures.com View Post
Yes-----the motors are identical.

I just changed my filter for the first time---a bit of a messy job----no good place for the old oil to go when you pull the cover off.
It took a bit more than 2 qts. with the filter change.

BigDog
A trick for oil changes. Get a small water bottle and cut the end and part of the top out of it. Stuff a few rolled up paper towels under the oil filter and place the opened end of the water bottl under the oil flited cover. Pull off the cover and most of the oil will pour into the bottle. Use a fingernail or a small screw driver to slide the oil filter into the bottle too. A practiced hand can catch all but a few drops of oil. BMW also makes a service tool for this that probable cost $$$.

Quote:
Do they check and adjust if needed the valves at the 600 mile service?
Can't say about the 600 miles service but I have 23K on this motor and the valves are still on the high side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFive View Post
At first, I was bummed about it because I had to buy new tools for them. Then, I realized....Hey, I get to buy new tools
LOL That's great!

All those people whining about being underpaid today were simply overpaid yesterday.
Meriden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 07:48 AM   #468
hansi
Teurer Abenteurer

Oddometer: 289
Quote:
Very interesting installing the Booster Plug on your Strada. Could you elaborate please, what did it do to milege? and can you talk a little more about the power increase.

Thanks
The boosterplug on my Terra seems to have increased the power in midrange
mainly . Very noticeable gain all the way through the power band, more responsive throttle and quicker to rev. Bought the booster plug to get rid of the stumbling/stalling issues that I had often in 2nd gear coming off the throttle, which still happens, but very rarely.
Fuel consumption seems to be right around 55mpg
Old 03-21-2013, 03:48 PM   #469
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 15,682
Mine is new, about 80 miles on it, so not ready to have the re-flash done and I'm enjoying the fluffy off-idle throttle for now.

I just noticed when turning my key on, while the "needle sweep" opening salvo is happening....I get a brief flash of "RACE MAP II".

My TE 310 had a switch to alternate between Race Map I (performance) and Race Map II (rain).
There does not appear to be any way to toggle between maps with the settings buttons - so my question for those who have had the re-flash:

Does your LCD display briefly flash "RACE MAP I" when you turn the key on?
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 04:09 PM   #470
trapperj
Gnarly Adventurer

Map II

As I understand it..the Nuda was to share the same speedo...it had a reduced power map for rain....hence the MAPII insignia.
Old 03-22-2013, 02:11 AM   #471
Nev..
wannabe advrider

Oddometer: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by trapperj View Post
As I understand it..the Nuda was to share the same speedo...it had a reduced power map for rain....hence the MAPII insignia.
Yes, The Nuda has the same dash unit and uses the Mode button to switch between engine maps. Which explains why the mode button on the Terra dash is never used except when setting the clock.
Old 03-24-2013, 02:02 AM   #472
davorallyfan
Commonist

Oddometer: 15,843
Contemporary Art.

Check this baby

davorallyfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 07:01 AM   #473
HighFive OP
Never Tap-Out

Oddometer: 2,710
Holy Friole

I want to see you put that on by yourself.

HF

Ps. I've collected all my parts; just haven't had time to start building yet. Darn business travels keep getting in the way.

Soon...very soon...
Athena Big Bore Project
HighFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 07:56 AM   #474
trainman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 394
This being a Stupid Questions Thread about the TR650, does anyone not care where KTM will take Husqvarna in the future, what bikes will KTM continue to produce in the Husky line and what will they discontinue. Will Rotax service KTM and sell them engines and parts, or does BMW have say so over the 650 Rotax engines that they buy for their bikes from Rotax. Maybe KTM has issued a statement on this and I missed it, did that happen. I like the bike and have considered buying one, but before I do, I need some answers as to where KTM is taking the Husky line and what models they will keep and what will go.

John
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 08:07 AM   #475
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer: 8,397
Quote:
Originally Posted by trainman View Post
This being a Stupid Questions Thread about the TR650, does anyone not care where KTM will take Husqvarna in the future, what bikes will KTM continue to produce in the Husky line and what will they discontinue. Will Rotax service KTM and sell them engines and parts, or does BMW have say so over the 650 Rotax engines that they buy for their bikes from Rotax. Maybe KTM has issued a statement on this and I missed it, did that happen. I like the bike and have considered buying one, but before I do, I need some answers as to where KTM is taking the Husky line and what models they will keep and what will go.

John
In short, the answer is no.

A bike is not an investment. It is both a mode of transportation and recreational toy.

If you like the bike, you buy it. If you don't like the bike, don't buy it.

Just look at the Honda Transalp. Arguably one of the best dual-sport bikes ever made, and only sold in the USA for just under 3 years. They are still running strong and demand a premium on the used market.

So the Terra might be an orphan? At least I've got mine, and I love it!

Clinging to sanity, one motorcycle at a time.
RidingDonkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 10:20 AM   #476
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 15,682
Quote:
Originally Posted by trainman View Post

John
I'm willing to wait and see what shakes out. Parts have to be provided for a certain number of years, so nobody's going to be left holding the bag.
I had a TE 630, which was a one-year bike, I never worried about it being orphaned and unsupported.

And our engines are built by Loncin in China, under license, etc. We don't care what Rotax has to say anymore
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 10:23 AM   #477
Beemermcr
Big, Dumb, Happy!

Oddometer: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridingdonkeys View Post
in short, the answer is no.

A bike is not an investment. It is both a mode of transportation and recreational toy.

If you like the bike, you buy it. If you don't like the bike, don't buy it.

Just look at the honda transalp. Arguably one of the best dual-sport bikes ever made, and only sold in the usa for just under 3 years. They are still running strong and demand a premium on the used market.

So the terra might be an orphan? At least i've got mine, and i love it!
+1!
2000 DRZ "Burro"
Beemermcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 12:32 PM   #478
trapperj
Gnarly Adventurer

Tr

Well most of us Adv. Riders seem to avoid the dealer like the plague anyway. Only willing to return if there's a catastrophic failure that would be warranted. The filters/plugs tune up parts are handy from BMW..the aftermarket has already started up with farkles. I am glad I bought before the change. If I had read the gloom & doom "sky is falling" threads before I bought I might have chickened out too. I really like my TR. I've wasted more $ on stupid stuff back in the day. Not this time.This was/is a smart buy IMHO. Ymmv.
Old 03-24-2013, 04:16 PM   #479
davorallyfan
Commonist

Oddometer: 15,843
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFive View Post
Holy Friole

I want to see you put that on by yourself.

HF

Ps. I've collected all my parts; just haven't had time to start building yet. Darn business travels keep getting in the way.

Soon...very soon...
The shadows could be fooling yah Hi5!

Put the rack on and it slides straight in - like a bum in a bucket. With a little jiggling.
davorallyfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 05:29 PM   #480
gregjet
old noob

Oddometer: 6
Anyone done any research into putting a 17" front wheel onto the Strada? The ABS appears as if it could be a problem because of available tyre sizes.
gregjet is offline   Reply With Quote