Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-30-2010, 10:15 AM   #46
gtackett
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 699
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tail Gunner View Post
One thing to consider is that you need cell phone service to send a email/text. I know a lot of my riding has no or very poor cell service. That is what makes SPOT good.
I realize this, and understand the value of the Spot.

I'm usually either in cell range or close. Some rides I don't know the direction I'm heading, just take off. This would be a easy quick way to let those at home know which direction I went.
gtackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 10:23 AM   #47
oPAULo
jack of all terrain

Oddometer: 3,776
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtackett View Post
I realize this, and understand the value of the Spot.

I'm usually either in cell range or close. Some rides I don't know the direction I'm heading, just take off. This would be a easy quick way to let those at home know which direction I went.
Join google maps latitude. It's pretty cool. Amy and I chase eachother around with it. Anyone in your latitude group can see where you are and what direction your going in real time. Yes you can turn it off for secret long lunch rides.
oPAULo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 10:27 AM   #48
gtackett
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by oPAULo View Post
Join google maps latitude. It's pretty cool. Amy and I chase eachother around with it. Anyone in your latitude group can see where you are and what direction your going in real time. Yes you can turn it off for secret long lunch rides.
That may do it. Although I'd like some type of txting option, since the wife has "dumb" phone. I really doubt she cares where I am in real time anyway, but I'd like to think she would wonder where I was if was running late.

I'll look into this. Thanks.
Old 12-30-2010, 11:26 AM   #49
gtackett
Studly Adventurer

Ok. I think the Google Latitude will do it. I set it up on the phone and the PC. Accuracy appears very close, however, on the map it appears that I am sitting slightly to the East. Normally that wouldn't be a problem, but slightly east of my office is a tavern....

Anyway, thanks for the tip Paul. Looks like this will be the hot ticket, now once the weather breaks, just gotta find time to ride to .....somewhere.
Old 12-30-2010, 08:02 PM   #50
oPAULo
jack of all terrain

Oddometer: 3,776
Quote:
Ok. I think the Google Latitude will do it. I set it up on the phone and the PC. Accuracy appears very close, however, on the map it appears that I am sitting slightly to the East. Normally that wouldn't be a problem, but slightly east of my office is a tavern....

Anyway, thanks for the tip Paul. Looks like this will be the hot ticket, now once the weather breaks, just gotta find time to ride to .....somewhere.
Whatever. We know you lunch with the bandanas biker crowd.

Once you start moving it is able to track your position better. And outside is better too. I've been under the steel roof at work and it showed I was in Avoca. Step outside and it's fixed.
oPAULo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 12:15 AM   #51
abhibeckert
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,432
I use MotionX-GPS on my iPhone. It's a full-featured GPS app, and can also send your current position every 5 min/15 min/30 min/1 hr via facebook, twitter or email.

I have 5 min updates sent to a gmail account setup just for this. I don't know where I'm going before I head out, and often change my mind when I do have a plan.

At least this way, family/friends will have some idea what direction I was heading when I last had coverage. It tends to drop in and out in most of the areas I ride.
abhibeckert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 07:14 AM   #52
GoGo Gadget
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,255
Quote:

I gave it a try the other day and it was locking up my Blackberry. Might just be the operating system on my phone tho.

I have been told I have the body of a God. What does this Buddha guy look like?
GoGo Gadget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 06:05 PM   #53
stimmer6253472
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 366
something new

I have no experience but I was wondering when something like this would come out. Looks expensive.
Jim

http://m.gizmodo.com/5724894/spot-co...e-communicator
2003 KTM 50 mini adventure (boys)
stimmer6253472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 07:18 PM   #54
Rottweiler OP
I'm a Believer

Oddometer: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by stimmer6253472 View Post
I have no experience but I was wondering when something like this would come out. Looks expensive.

http://m.gizmodo.com/5724894/spot-co...e-communicator
According to the article it's $170. Not bad. But the money is all in the annual subscription of $100+. On top of your cell phone with data plan.

Real men wear boots. God is good.

"Liberalism is a philosophy of consolation for Western Civilization as it commits suicide." - Dr. Jerry Pournelle http://jerrypournelle.com
Rottweiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 05:47 AM   #55
mikesova
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,735
anything new and improved in this area?
mikesova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 06:56 AM   #56
worwig
Lost in Georgia

Oddometer: 904
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesova View Post
anything new and improved in this area?
A few weeks back Bubbler GPS was released for Android. I haven't looked into it but it is smartphone interface to SpotWalla I believe.
Old 07-13-2013, 06:30 PM   #57
74C5
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 878
And, Instamapper appears to be Tango Uniform.
74C5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 07:09 PM   #58
Jamie Z
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,615
And unfortunately for iOS users, Google has retired Google Latitude. Hopefully Bubbler will release an iphone app soon.

At this time, as far as I know, there's no Spotwalla interface for iOS currently.

Jamie

Budget Travel the Jamie Z Way
Jamie Z is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 07:10 PM   #59
Range Rover
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rottweiler View Post
How feasible is it to use a smartphone (e.g. Android, iPhone, Blackberry) as if it were a SPOT Tracker?

Mostly I just want my wife to be able to pull up a web page and see where I'm at, and which way I'm traveling or if stationary. When riding I can't readily send or receive calls at a whim so this would give her a way to have some contact.

The fact that it would only work in areas with cell coverage is acceptable to me.

Do the major smartphones have this capability? Is it built-in or does it cost an extra service fee. (I'm already paying a large monthly fee, seems like this ought to be included.)
Does anybody else realize how pw'd this sounds? Who the hell wants there wife to know where they are at? It's one of the reasons I bought a motorcycle. Just sayin'.....
Old 07-13-2013, 07:20 PM   #60
DesertSurfer
Tail sprayin

Oddometer: 1,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Range Rover View Post
Does anybody else realize how pw'd this sounds? Who the hell wants there wife to know where they are at? It's one of the reasons I bought a motorcycle. Just sayin'.....
I can understand your angst if you're talking about a one or two day ride where you just want some space, and you're still in cellphone range where ever you are riding around.

But for guys like myself who do one, two, three week or longer rides around desolate areas with no cellphone reception for days... A Spot can be an extremely convenient way to keep anyone, including a caring wife... able to know if you're o.k. or not at any time. And you don't even have to have a conversation with her if you are at a point where you're focused on your riding, for whatever reason... crossing rivers, compression braking down rock garden trails.

I could go on and on about it's benefits... with absolutely no PW'd concerns what so ever.

Just an open minded opinion, nothing more...