ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-17-2013, 09:43 PM   #31
Boatman
Take me down bitch!
 
Boatman's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: Petersburg, NY and Woodbridge, VA
Oddometer: 10,183



__________________
08 KTM 950 SE, 09 KTM 950 SE, 04 KTM 950 ADV, 10 Husaberg FE390, 66 Kawasaki B8S Super 150

Hi/low beam conversions for: Trail Tech, Baja Designs
Boatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 10:10 PM   #32
DARKRYDER OP
NoNoob
 
DARKRYDER's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Location: Santa Clara
Oddometer: 318
Dude...just go away. Your bike is a trailer queen and you obviously don't take it anywhere but fire trails and Starbucks. My bike has been torn down all winter receiving necessary upgrades to prepare it for more heavy abuse this season. My bike has been crashed probably 30 times since I purchased it new and the crashbars do their job perfectly. It's seen plenty of single track and the weak Behr stock front wheel was destroyed in short order. Would you like close ups of my bike to see all of the gouges and scratches it has? The battery is not waterproof and you're just annoying everyone at this point. Go put some proper crashbars, skid plate and some knobbies on your 990 R before you get yourself into trouble on that single track in the woods. I'm convinced this battery is not waterproof, but feel free to continue arguing your point Griz.
__________________
10 KTM 990 Adventure R
10 KTM 530 EXC-R Champions Edition
05 Merc E55 AMG
3 Kaboom's, 3 Dudes, and a Chick ride Nevada, Utah, Wyoming, Colorado, Idaho, Montana
Passed Out In CO & Washed Up In UT (UTBDR & COBDR)
DARKRYDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 10:24 PM   #33
The Griz
North Forest Rider
 
The Griz's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Minnesota
Oddometer: 3,780
Quote:
Originally Posted by DARKRYDER View Post
I'm convinced this battery is not waterproof, but feel free to continue arguing your point Griz.
All unfounded BS posturing and whiny 'go aways' aside....

YOU'RE convinced this battery is not waterproof. Good for you.... you're entitled to your opinion. But let's keep it at that: YOUR OPINION. No actual proof of it. Just your opinion. Don't you get it? I'm making sure your opinion doesn't get mixed up with factual information here. I'm trying to keep ADV solid for folks, and not an opinion fest. You don't seem to like that. So be it. Have your opinion. But until you present some hard evidence I'll put up with your incessant whining and make sure that opinion is highlighted as just that: opinion!

I'm completely open to facts and look forward to seeing some proof. You act like I'm not.
__________________
PAUL BUNYAN FOREST RIDERS MC
2013 KTM 300 XC-W
2014 KTM 690 Enduro R

The Griz screwed with this post 03-17-2013 at 11:00 PM
The Griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 10:34 PM   #34
DARKRYDER OP
NoNoob
 
DARKRYDER's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Location: Santa Clara
Oddometer: 318
Yes, it is my opinion that this battery is not water proof. Lil' Irv has presented some compelling information to support the theory that the Shorai does not have a sealed case. Tell you what Griz - I'll give Shorai a call this week to get the facts straight from the manufacturer and post back findings. Let's keep this thread on track please.
__________________
10 KTM 990 Adventure R
10 KTM 530 EXC-R Champions Edition
05 Merc E55 AMG
3 Kaboom's, 3 Dudes, and a Chick ride Nevada, Utah, Wyoming, Colorado, Idaho, Montana
Passed Out In CO & Washed Up In UT (UTBDR & COBDR)
DARKRYDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 10:42 PM   #35
The Griz
North Forest Rider
 
The Griz's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Minnesota
Oddometer: 3,780
Quote:
Originally Posted by DARKRYDER View Post
Yes, it is my opinion that this battery is not water proof. Lil' Irv has presented some compelling information to support the theory that the Shorai does not have a sealed case. Tell you what Griz - I'll give Shorai a call this week to get the facts straight from the manufacturer and post back findings. Let's keep this thread on track please.
I've read the thread that Lil' Irv has linked to. In that thread I see a lot of posts about cranking power and voltage measurements over time, using highly expensive and intricate tools, but NO proof about Shorai batteries being susceptible to water penetration.

Tell YOU what: I'm not here to do your work for you. I'm here to point out that your opinion is not fact.... and to keep this forum as factual as possible for the masses. If you want to present factual evidence that Shorais are not waterproof by calling them and reporting your findings here, so be it.... and I am open to it....until then.....
__________________
PAUL BUNYAN FOREST RIDERS MC
2013 KTM 300 XC-W
2014 KTM 690 Enduro R
The Griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 10:47 PM   #36
jmklint
Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: kansas City
Oddometer: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangecicle View Post
The Shorai just won't start my 950 in the cold. Period. For a long time, it would work on the third try, but that became harder and harder over time. Now the battery won't take a charge, so it's done. I was planning on charging the Shorai and carrying it in luggage as a backup because they are supposed to hold a charge forever. But now, it's headed for the landfill. I'm going to try the Interstate battery for a change, and I don't think I'll go down this path again until the technology is better.
I had the same problems with the shorai in cold weather. if it dropped below freezing and it hadnt been ran in a week it would not always start my bike. I returned it and switched to Anit-Gravity lithium batteries which are incredible but expensive. I justified the cost because my shorai left me stranded in Taylor Park one night when the temps fell to 25 degrees. I had to wait till afternoon when the temps were back in the 60's. I lost half a day but could have been totally stranded if it never started.
jmklint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 10:51 PM   #37
jmklint
Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: kansas City
Oddometer: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmklint View Post
I had the same problems with the shorai in cold weather. if it dropped below freezing and it hadnt been ran in a week it would not always start my bike. I returned it and switched to Anit-Gravity lithium batteries which are incredible but expensive. I justified the cost because my shorai left me stranded in Taylor Park one night when the temps fell to 25 degrees. I had to wait till afternoon when the temps were back in the 60's. I lost half a day but could have been totally stranded if it never started.
AND the anti gravity batteries are waterproof!
jmklint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 12:09 AM   #38
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma
Oddometer: 5,941
you folks are making a mountain out of a molehill

if you want to find out if your Shoria is waterproof .. simply dunk battery in a tub of water and watch for bubbles. Just dunked a Shorai LFX 21 for about a minute with balance port cap on. no bubbles came out. that doesn't mean Shorai is completely waterproof, but pretty darn close. note I have not dunked Shorai with balance port open.. that might let in water. but who cares, close your charge port before installing.

if you are really worried about it, simply smear a bit of silicon on all seams. a non-existent problem solved

Earth-X also survives the dunk test with no bubbles. have I dunked both batteries for say 20 minutes ... nope.. then I don't plan on leaving my bike under water for 20 minutes. should I drop it during a deep water crossing.

let's address the real problem that I've seen in this thread ... which is too small LiFePO4 battery used for 990. LFX 18 is just to small for a 990. LFX18 might do the job when weather is warm and your bike is starting with a 1-2 second crank.

LiFePO4 batteries amps delivered drops dramatically under large loads and when temps drop. LFX18 actual amp hour is about 4.6AH. not 18 amp hours as label indicates. almost all LiFePO4 mfg use a PB/EQ rating which doesn't tell what actual amp hour are ... LFX18 fails almost immediately under 200 amp load tests. (details in LiFePO4 testing thread)

IMHO a major cause for LiFePO4 battery failures can be traced back to installing a battery too small. my recommendation for 990 is go with Shorai LFX24 for Starbuck duties. LFX36 for adventure duties to parts unknown. (edit: LFX36 is correct size for 990 but case size is too big to fit tiny battery tray)

or Earth-X ETX24 for Starbuck duties, ETX36 for adventure duties to parts unknown.

for LOTS more detailed technical info.. visit my LiFePO4 testing thread .. link in sig

no bubbles

_cy_ screwed with this post 08-29-2014 at 04:09 PM
_cy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 12:36 AM   #39
The Griz
North Forest Rider
 
The Griz's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Minnesota
Oddometer: 3,780
Quote:
Originally Posted by _cy_ View Post
no bubbles
Now that's a perfect example of proof. Not just opinion and words. Thanks cy!
__________________
PAUL BUNYAN FOREST RIDERS MC
2013 KTM 300 XC-W
2014 KTM 690 Enduro R
The Griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 05:05 AM   #40
Nailhead
Painting by numbers
 
Nailhead's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2003
Location: Longmont, CO
Oddometer: 6,141
Quote:
Originally Posted by _cy_ View Post
my recommendation for 990 is go with Shorai LFX24 for Starbuck duties. LFX36 for adventure duties to parts unknown.
I just checked Shorai's web site to compare case dimensions which for some odd reason they don't provide. How does the 36 compare to the 18 for fit in the 990's battery compartment?
__________________
-Chris


'7? Benelli 650S, '80 BMW R100 RS, '07 KTM 990 Adventure
Nailhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 05:36 AM   #41
Zombie025
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Tanzania
Oddometer: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailhead View Post
I just checked Shorai's web site to compare case dimensions which for some odd reason they don't provide. How does the 36 compare to the 18 for fit in the 990's battery compartment?
http://www.shoraipower.com/specs.html
Zombie025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 07:38 AM   #42
ST4s
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Oddometer: 50
Shorai not waterproof

From Shorai "the battery is not waterproof". I asked this because of the low battery mounting position and vulnerability to being submerged. The little special charge/balance port is susceptible to water intrusion. Shorai suggested I seal the port with silicon grease around the charge cable. Not exactly confidence inspiring. As to cold weather starting if 48F is cold then we have other problems. The thing would not crank in the AM @ 48F just did the reboot thing numerous times. Again that same day after work 50+F failed to crank on the first try. This is the third battery from Shorai and I am on the third charger. From Shorai "we have had some chip problems with our chargers", but they were giving me a good faith replacement battery even though their charger damaged the battery!! To holding a charge for a long time that may be so but not in any bike with a parasitic draw. Take for instance a clock. My bike has 0.008A draw with the alarm activated, 0.006 with just the clock, and that will kill the battery within several weeks.

I am happy for all who have not had starting or water immersion problems with the Shorai battery but for my money the technology is not ready for prime time.

Cheers
ST4s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 08:54 AM   #43
The Griz
North Forest Rider
 
The Griz's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Minnesota
Oddometer: 3,780
Quote:
Originally Posted by ST4s View Post
From Shorai "the battery is not waterproof". I asked this because of the low battery mounting position and vulnerability to being submerged. The little special charge/balance port is susceptible to water intrusion. Shorai suggested I seal the port with silicon grease around the charge cable. Not exactly confidence inspiring. As to cold weather starting if 48F is cold then we have other problems. The thing would not crank in the AM @ 48F just did the reboot thing numerous times. Again that same day after work 50+F failed to crank on the first try. This is the third battery from Shorai and I am on the third charger. From Shorai "we have had some chip problems with our chargers", but they were giving me a good faith replacement battery even though their charger damaged the battery!! To holding a charge for a long time that may be so but not in any bike with a parasitic draw. Take for instance a clock. My bike has 0.008A draw with the alarm activated, 0.006 with just the clock, and that will kill the battery within several weeks.

I am happy for all who have not had starting or water immersion problems with the Shorai battery but for my money the technology is not ready for prime time.

Cheers
More actual evidence here. Thanks!If that's true and Shorai actually said the above then it seems Shorai is confirming that the only possible point of entry for water would be the inside of the charging port. Not around the charging port, rather inside the charging port where the pins are. If this is the only point of possible intrusion then that's fine with me! This falls in line with what you are seeing in the picture above: rubber charging port plug in = no water intrusion. And if you're really worried about water intrusion, do what Shorai recommends as a safety measure: silicone grease in the charging port.... and keep the rubber charging plug cap in. When you need to charge it's two screws to drop the skidplate. No biggy. Point being, I wouldn't consider the Shorai 'not ready for prime time' or 'unworthy' because of this. I tend to go with experience and the facts: 1) I've used Shorais in my dirt bikes in mud, rain, water, sand, dirt, dust, vibration, etc with no issues whatsoever. I've never had a charging problem or a cranking power problem either. 2) If you're worried about water intrusion, throw a dab of silicone grease in the charging plug/port and then insert the rubber charging plug cap = watertight. The pic above says it all. Thanks again to those who have offered up some real evidence.
__________________
PAUL BUNYAN FOREST RIDERS MC
2013 KTM 300 XC-W
2014 KTM 690 Enduro R
The Griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 09:15 AM   #44
Boatman
Take me down bitch!
 
Boatman's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: Petersburg, NY and Woodbridge, VA
Oddometer: 10,183
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Griz View Post
More actual evidence here. Thanks!If that's true and Shorai actually said the above then it seems Shorai is confirming that the only possible point of entry for water would be the inside of the charging port. Not around the charging port, rather inside the charging port where the pins are. If this is the only point of possible intrusion then that's fine with me! This falls in line with what you are seeing in the picture above: rubber charging port plug in = no water intrusion. And if you're really worried about water intrusion, do what Shorai recommends as a safety measure: silicone grease in the charging port.... and keep the rubber charging plug cap in. When you need to charge it's two screws to drop the skidplate. No biggy. Point being, I wouldn't consider the Shorai 'not ready for prime time' or 'unworthy' because of this. I tend to go with experience and the facts: 1) I've used Shorais in my dirt bikes in mud, rain, water, sand, dirt, dust, vibration, etc with no issues whatsoever. I've never had a charging problem or a cranking power problem either. 2) If you're worried about water intrusion, throw a dab of silicone grease in the charging plug/port and then insert the rubber charging plug cap = watertight. The pic above says it all. Thanks again to those who have offered up some real evidence.

Dude,,,, your nitpicing. "Not waterproof" means just that, not waterproof. Doesn't matter at that point how the water gets in,,,, it gets in. A dab of silicone grease also doesn't magically make the battery waterproof...it's just sealed up the known leak. I'm betting that there is no gasketing where the terminals go through the case either. Just because they are molded in doesn't make them waterproof. For something to be waterproof it need to be tested and rated as such. There is nothing on the Shorai website that tells what the ratings are.

Just because YOU haven't had any issues with water doesn't make it a non issue. Do a little research around the net and you will see plenty of failures after a battery has been submerged. I have an 04 950 Adventure with close to 40k on the odometerand havent' had a lot of the issues that other people have had had,,,, fuel pump failure, starter clutch, clutch slave, water pumpto name a few. So does that mean all the people that have had issues are spreading false rumours????

Wake up and smell the roses hunney! The OP just asked a question that challenged your spending money on a Shorai.

__________________
08 KTM 950 SE, 09 KTM 950 SE, 04 KTM 950 ADV, 10 Husaberg FE390, 66 Kawasaki B8S Super 150

Hi/low beam conversions for: Trail Tech, Baja Designs
Boatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 09:32 AM   #45
The Griz
North Forest Rider
 
The Griz's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Minnesota
Oddometer: 3,780
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatman View Post
Dude,,,, your nitpicing. "Not waterproof" means just that, not waterproof. Doesn't matter at that point how the water gets in,,,, it gets in. A dab of silicone grease also doesn't magically make the battery waterproof...it's just sealed up the known leak. I'm betting that there is no gasketing where the terminals go through the case either. Just because they are molded in doesn't make them waterproof. For something to be waterproof it need to be tested and rated as such. There is nothing on the Shorai website that tells what the ratings are.

Just because YOU haven't had any issues with water doesn't make it a non issue. Do a little research around the net and you will see plenty of failures after a battery has been submerged. I have an 04 950 Adventure with close to 40k on the odometerand havent' had a lot of the issues that other people have had had,,,, fuel pump failure, starter clutch, clutch slave, water pumpto name a few. So does that mean all the people that have had issues are spreading false rumours????

Wake up and smell the roses hunney! The OP just asked a question that challenged your spending money on a Shorai.

False on all counts.

I'm not, nor have I said or am I doing any of what you claim above. Read my posts before claiming something about me that's not true. Thanks. I'm not nor have I claimed that Shorais are waterproof. I've simply asked for real proof that they aren't, instead if a hunch. DARKRYDER made a bold statement that they aren't waterproof in his first post based upon opinion and a hunch. I, and many others, have had great luck with Shorais and want factual evidence to back that claim. So far the only people that have provided real evidence about Shorais and water intrusion from experience with the batteries or from contacting Shorai are ST4s, _cy_, ItsNotTheBike, MTN roads, Mikehusa, zeegman, and Lil' Irv. Kudos to them. They are what this forum needs. The Shorai has a weak point. No skin off my nose. As I've stated this whole time, I have been and am open to real evidence supporting potential water intrusion. We've seen some now. Good. And we've also seen some good evidence that though Shorai doesn't claim they're waterproof, with proper use of the rubber plug and some silicone, water potentially won't be an issue. That's all I was looking for and asking for. No need to get aggressive and make claims about me that aren't real, and say I've done things that I haven't. .....hunney-buns.

I like ADVRider, and I'll take the flames from a few in order to help make sure there is as much solid and helpful info on here as possible. Take care guys!
__________________
PAUL BUNYAN FOREST RIDERS MC
2013 KTM 300 XC-W
2014 KTM 690 Enduro R

The Griz screwed with this post 03-18-2013 at 09:46 AM
The Griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 12:23 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014