User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-17-2013, 03:55 PM   #1
tafflink OP
Vicarious Adventurer

Oddometer: 181
Question How hairy is Patagonia?--myself and wife pillion

My wife and I have taken serval trips through Europe independently, working with a tour company to rent a bike and get an arranged itinerary.

I have always wanted to visit Patagonia but am wondering if it may be too remote to go by ourselves.

I'd appreciate hearing from riders who have visited that part o the world--as well as tour operator recommendations.

Many thanks.
tafflink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 05:56 PM   #2
markharf
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 536
Hundreds--maybe thousands--of riders go by themselves every year. There are some very remote places in Patagonia, but you'd have to work hard to find them. Of course, much depends on your definition of "remote," and what in particular you're worried about.

Mark
markharf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 01:53 AM   #3
bush pilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,399
Ruta 40 varies from super good asphalt to loose marbles road surface, they're doing a lot of work to it. Mostly pretty good, sometimes the freshly graded sections are tricky.
Between Perito Moreno and Esquel the winds can be terrifying. On a big GS you will probably be fine, sometimes riding the KLR was like trying to push a barn door through a Hurricane, it was pretty hairy at times, I wished for my GS many times down there.
Iron Butt #35784
bush pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 04:42 AM   #4
moto-treks
Back Home

Oddometer: 1,764
My wife and I rode 2-up in South America. I've also ridden throughout Europe. If you can do one, you can do the other.

Moto-Treks
moto-treks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 06:10 AM   #5
Acampao
WInd Jammer

Oddometer: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by tafflink View Post
My wife and I have taken serval trips through Europe independently, working with a tour company to rent a bike and get an arranged itinerary.

I have always wanted to visit Patagonia but am wondering if it may be too remote to go by ourselves.

I'd appreciate hearing from riders who have visited that part o the world--as well as tour operator recommendations.

Many thanks.
You can get strong winds any time of the year, but weather can be miserable from April through August. January and February are the best.
 All that matters is timing.
Acampao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 08:27 AM   #6
Manolito
Patagonia guide

Oddometer: 237
Quote:

Many thanks.
Here you have a local and related to tourism.

Obviously it's not like Europe, but it's bike friendly. People in Patagonia is very helpful and kind.
You have so many roads to choose, that you can choose "how remote" you wanna go.

I don't know about Chile, but DON'T rent a bike in Argentina unless you want to pay a lot of money

Going to Ushuaia? Stop in Rio Gallegos and let's have a beer
Manolito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 06:27 AM   #7
TengaiJohn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,117
Quote:

Many thanks.
I'm surpirsed you haven't checked into the NYC Commuters thread and met with people that have made the trip down south, you might learn a lot from them.

Good luck.
TengaiJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:06 AM   #8
windypoint
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 164
My wife rode the back of a rented Chilean 1200Gs last year and we had a great time. The roads are as others have stated fine to dangerous. Just don't ride fast beyond your sight corridor. We did it with a group (Motoquest) and enjoyed the company. The big advantage is having proven good places to stay and eat. My wife is into comfort so it helped. The wind was really something on r40.
windypoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 07:42 AM   #9
STLrider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
rode Patagonia on my wee-strom in Jan/Feb...the best time of year to be there. for me personally the winds were more bothersome than the road surfaces. ruta 40 is being paved in several locations simultaneously. rode solo from Bariloche to Ushuaia and two-up Ushuaia to Buenos Aires. El Chalten and El Calafate are not to be missed. there are a few stretches with no petrol (Perito Moreno to Gobernador Gregores IF Bajo Caracoles has run dry). carry extra fuel cans and you will be fine though. decent lodging can be found with aqua caliente y Wi-Fi
STLrider is offline   Reply With Quote