User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-28-2013, 10:31 PM   #1
Someguy OP
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Where to rent and ride in South Africa?

Hi guys, I need some advice, I am going to South Africa for work in April, I will be done working around the 23rd and want to rent a bike and ride for about a week after the work is done! I was wondering if anyone has some advice? Where to go and where to rent.

I will be staying in Magogong, a pretty small town west of JHB. i was thinking of renting in johanessburg and riding west to cape town, and then turning back to the south and ride in a circle coming back to JHB. to where my flight will leave from.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, I also would like to meet up with some riders if that is possible. i ride alone in the US all the time but over there for my first time I am looking to find a riding partner or two.
Someguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 06:36 AM   #2
D.Sanchez
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Hi,

is was there a few weeks ago.
cape town is very beautiful, you should do that and maybe go south east along the coast and then up to lesotho, the landscape there is stunning!

If youre working there, the people there will give you advise what to do and what not to do. I think ZA in general is not too dangerous, but JHB downtown.. i would avoid it ;)

PS:
Nice trails!! I met some guys at wild west enduro trail and they managed to get me a bike for one day riding.

D.Sanchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 05:01 AM   #3
RTLover
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,355
You might try this thread in Regional Forums. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71294
Old 03-09-2013, 01:44 PM   #4
usgser
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,966
You'll have to do web search cause I don't remember the outfits name but there's a German co. that has an office in Joberg that rents BMW's
usgser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 06:54 PM   #5
Witold
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 659
I did some research on the places that rent and they all seemed reputable - and expensive. I didn't find any bad reviews about any of them. My impression is that you're not going to go wrong with any of them.

You probably want to do one of two routes: (1) Garden Route along the coast to Cape Town, or (2) Ride up to Victoria Falls. If you pick #2, make sure to check if they allow you to cross borders in the base fee or if it will cost you extra. IIRC, this varied by rental place.
Witold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 07:46 PM   #6
YukonTracker
Ride your Way

Oddometer: 249
You may try these guys http://www.kaapstadmat.com/. They are in Cape Town though.
YukonTracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 07:21 AM   #7
Troubles
Biker chick

Oddometer: 5
If you only have a week, I would not advise you to ride from Jhb to Cape Town. It's a 2 day trip and a national road. Rather fly down to CT and see things from there. The Garden Route is lovely.

Come up via the Route 62 and I can show you around if it can be in my area 27 and 28 April. Maybe even the 26th if you let me know in time. Some awesome riding and really nice places.

All the places that rent BMW's are expensive, but good. We have a local guy that rents for cheaper, but I it will have to be returned to the same place, not left in the other side of the county.

Let me know what what I can help with.
Old 03-18-2013, 10:31 AM   #8
eddie98
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 627
You can try this guys
http://www.dualsportafrica.com/
06 DL 650(gone) , 89 KLR 650(gone)
eddie98 is offline   Reply With Quote