Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
Mee too !

Quote:
Originally Posted by EtronX View Post
Great RR Gliga

The bad thing is that now I have a new place to go

It is a small world Maybe we'll meet
Was thinking the same, let me know when you go..... ;-) It ain't Siberia, but it's close (closer from where I live) and it's stunningly beautiful...

Gilga, thanks a lot for this report, it's awesome. I was recently in Serbia and Montenegro on business trips and while looking out of the plane said to myself: "This is 690 (or KLR, or XChallenge, or...) country, I have to go there on my bike sooner or later".

Would it be possible to get some GPS tracks from you ? I can trade some from Morocco, Italy and France... ;-)

Cheers,

FechFech

My current toys:
- KTM 990 SMT for tarmac ripping
- KTM 690 for dual sporting
- KTM 350 for offroad riding
- GasGas TXT 250 Trial for serious offroad riding
- Pair of hiking boots for everything else ;-)
FechFech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 02:58 PM   #93
Twinmike
Grandpa

Oddometer: 96
Thumb great RR

Quote:
Great RR Gliga

The bad thing is that now I have a new place to go

It is a small world Maybe we'll meet
when you start your ride to the balkan send a note you will come trough austria for a few free good beer
i will start my fifth time ride to the balkan countrys in may, maybe i meet some of you.
Twinmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 03:11 PM   #94
EtronX
:-)

Oddometer: 208
Slippery roads

Two years ago I was riding from Split via Rijeka and northbound. Just outside Rijeka I had the same experience with slippery roads. I was coming out of a nice right turn when my bike just disappeared below me. No warning I was doing about 70 at the time. I slid across the road and ended up in a ditch on the far side. The bike was OK, but I was hurting. No broken bones, but badly bruised. When I got back on my feet I checked the road. Usually there is sand, the road is wet or you see some discoloring. I saw nothing, but the road was slippery as ice in that turn. I even felt it with my boots

Later I read that the stones they use in the asphalt in that area contains lots of chalk. When the road gets warm the small stones lets of a thin layer of chalk which makes the road slippery as ice. Lessons learned.

Note to self: Drive slow and live longer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gliga View Post

Nice, wide and twisty road trough dense forest. Road is severely lacking in straights department, with turns just flowing one into another. This is first proper pavement section in last couple of days and I'm enjoying it. Time to blow some steam out of the system and get adrenalin pumping. Right hairpin, I'm going slowly, no input on brakes or the throttle. Front end decides it's time for me to get up-close and personal with surface so it skids sideways underneath me. By pure magic bike stays upright, with me in the saddle. Two things I'm sure about: my foot never came of the footrest and I had some mild pain in shin area for next couple of minutes. I turn around, wanting to know what caused wheel to slide. There are no oil marks, no gravel, nothing. Going back downhill I tried rear brake. Wheel is blocked instantly and bike almost kept same speed. Slippery as ice... Warning came at cheap price, I take it seriously :)

Still cruising, regular left turn, no oil, no gravel. Front end goes sideways, rear follows. This time foot came to the rescue and once again bike stays upright. WTF...
Old 03-18-2013, 03:44 PM   #95
Twinmike
Grandpa

Oddometer: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by FechFech View Post
Would it be possible to get some GPS tracks from you ? I can trade some from Morocco, Italy and France... ;-)
at the end of the daily report you can find the link for the gpx files like this

http://www.megafileupload.com/en/fil...Dan-1-gpx.html

i have to sort my tracks from the Balkan countrys when you need pm me

Twinmike screwed with this post 03-18-2013 at 03:45 PM Reason: edit link
Twinmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 02:35 AM   #96
LethPhaos
brb

Oddometer: 415
I've never experienced it myself but it's not the first time I hear from slipperly asphalt in warm countries, I'll have to remember that next summer, or I'll undoubtedly have a get-off...
LethPhaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 04:44 AM   #97
francs
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 212
If you see a glare from the surface, be careful!
francs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 05:49 AM   #98
Eldezento
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Cry

Quote:
I'm looking some nice place .... but there is no "perfect" spot. And, as usual, when trying to find perfect spot you end up with nothing.
True words. I do it same way again and again
Eldezento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:06 AM   #99
Gliga OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by tee bee View Post
Great photos Gliga, it really is beautiful out there and the people are real friendly too. Just don,t tell everyone, or the tracks will be full of adv riders :)))
Nope, no way I'm telling anybody about this area. Not even trough a ride report

Thanks for the compliments.
Old 03-19-2013, 08:17 AM   #100
Gliga OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Two years ago I was riding from Split via Rijeka and northbound. Just outside Rijeka I had the same experience with slippery roads. I was coming out of a nice right turn when my bike just disappeared below me. No warning I was doing about 70 at the time. I slid across the road and ended up in a ditch on the far side. The bike was OK, but I was hurting. No broken bones, but badly bruised. When I got back on my feet I checked the road. Usually there is sand, the road is wet or you see some discoloring. I saw nothing, but the road was slippery as ice in that turn. I even felt it with my boots

Later I read that the stones they use in the asphalt in that area contains lots of chalk. When the road gets warm the small stones lets of a thin layer of chalk which makes the road slippery as ice. Lessons learned.

Note to self: Drive slow and live longer

Falling in right turn on busy road doesn't sound to appealing. You were lucky that there was no oncoming traffic.

That road winding along Adriatic coast is well known as extremely slippery. Salt from the air is not helping either...

If you're coming this way let me know, it would be great to meet you and hear some Sibirian stories first hand
Old 03-20-2013, 07:25 AM   #101
windmills
Gnearly Adventurer

Oddometer: 182
Hey Gliga,
this is a gem of an RR!

Your part of the world is all new to me, and being able to experience it through your report it pure pleasure.
The scenery is simply stunning, your words (in not your native tongue) do a great job of describing how the ride felt.
But best of all, the photography! Just beautiful!
Thank you very much for sharing it. I look forward to your next adventures.
Old 03-21-2013, 01:26 PM   #102
Gliga OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Day eight

It's time to wrap this ride up, time to ride home.

As usual, I'm leaving it to the Sun and heat to get me out of the tent. But it takes to long today... As soon as I got head out of the tent it's clear why... Actually it's not clear at all. Completely overcast sky with low clouds. And it's cold. Well, colder considering the fact that last few days temperature was above 30 degrees (85 F).

I'm taking my time with morning routine. Walk to the spring, gathering driftwood for fire, making tea...

Feet over the edge, dam at lake Zaovinsko

One very happy guy

This is color photo. Sediments from water cover everything taking away all the colors

Victim from day one :)

Time lapse video, breaking the camp down (are these videos showing??? I can't see them...)

First up is a ride around lake Zaovinsko. I had great expectations from that ride. And again, when you have high hopes or expectations it's easy to be disappointed... Firstly, from the road going around the lake I expected more views of the lake its self.

Secondly, the road is not in great shape. Almost every corner is full of gravel so I had to be very careful.

And thirdly, how the fuck can I enjoy the ride when I go down after five minutes of riding? One of the side roads leading down to the lake. Front wheel got into the "rut" in slow corner. No damage done. Surprisingly how easy it is to pick the bike up in the morning, when you're not tired

Photo shoot at the dam separating lake Zaovinsko and another lake containing drinking water.

Blackberries, I'm to early :)

ACCESS DENIED, only measure guarding drinking water reservoir

After very enjoyable ride trough pine forest it's time to get off the mountain. I had great expectations from this road and this time I got what I hoped for. Picture this in your head: You're riding trough a forest. Road is nice and twisty. And then, just when you exit one of many corners you get The View. Drina river valley, almost straight below. 800 meters to the valley floor. Road is almost carved in the rock-face...

It's a sin to ride fast on roads like this and miss the views :)

Break at the source of shortest river in Serbia, 365 m long Vrelo river.

Earlier this year I rode shortest route from there to my hometown. Doing the same, not very spectacular, paved road two times in a year doesn't sound to appealing and besides, where's the fun in using the shortest route possible. Short glance at the map and plan is formed: I'm off to Uzice town. I have a friend living there and it would be nice opportunity to see each other.

Road between Bajina Basta and Uzice is very fun to ride. Pavement is not in best condition but road has extreme shortage of straights and that's always a good thing. Getting into a nice rhythm, attacking every corner... You know, general enjoyment of riding a bike :)

Another break at Kadinjaca hill, scene of large battle in WW2.

Between Uzice and Pozega town is absolutely worse section ever! That is part of the main road connecting Belgrade (Serbian capital city) with Adriatic coast in Montenegro. And it's holiday season. Heavy traffic with nervous drivers, speed well below legal limit... Very annoying.

This is from Uzice, WW2 tank.

Luckily for me, in Pozega I'm leaving main road and very quickly there are almost no other vehicles around. There is a railroad museum in Pozega. I don't know if it's open for visitors but there is a large gap in the fence, not to far from main entrance :) Cool old trains...

I'm really enjoying last proper twisties as I approach Valjevo town. One last proper hill before I head toward plains... Road between Valjevo and Sabac is also special one. Gentle rolling hills, fast open corners, three lanes on most uphills and race-track pavement. Few years back I rode there on a bicycle with only one thought on my mind: I wish I'm on a bike right now! Now when I'm riding it on a bike I also have one thought: I wish I'm on a 600 sport bike Loaded 500 cc dualsport bike is simply to slow for this kind of roads...

And now just add some fast, open corners...

After Sabac it's back to boring straight roads across the plains. This is cruising territory. One last opportunity to warm up the tires is at Fruska Gora mountain, just before arriving back to Novi Sad. No photos there...

Few kilometers before I get home first drops of rain start falling but I arrive home dry. Tonight there are no problems looking for a campsite 'thou it may be difficult to drive tent pegs into hardwood floor...

And that's it. End of my first proper multiday bike trip. Few things were clear right then, most importantly: I WANT MORE!!! Few random thoughts, conclusions and impresions I'll write about in next post.

And then we're off to part two. This thread is far from being over
Old 03-21-2013, 03:04 PM   #103
Rango
Phaneropter

Oddometer: 994

Be assured, the video plays just fine.
Always fun to watch stop time: logic in chaos.

Very interesting railway museum: really old's cool. No tags, guides or fancy thrills that only diminish the experience. Nice discovery.

As we are still entertained, bring it on.
Old 03-22-2013, 09:52 AM   #104
wimj
Wannabee Adventurer

Oddometer: 87
I really enjoyed the RR and the great photos, thanks! Never knew that area was so beautiful.

One other thing that struck me: your exhaust is sooo shiny in every picture! Do you make a habit of cleaning it at every photo stop?

Thanks again!
Old 03-22-2013, 12:29 PM   #105
EtronX
:-)

Oddometer: 208
Quote:
Falling in right turn on busy road doesn't sound to appealing. You were lucky that there was no oncoming traffic.

That road winding along Adriatic coast is well known as extremely slippery. Salt from the air is not helping either...

If you're coming this way let me know, it would be great to meet you and hear some Sibirian stories first hand
I was lucky that day. I was riding to hard, and then I got a correction ;-)

If I am ever in your neighbourhood I'll fire of a message. Same goes the other way if you ever come north to Norway :-)

Don't look back, you are not going in that direction :-)