garrett
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 449
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJG2 View Post
Its a 500 I assume -I ask because some 350 guys post in here

Also- check on version of map

get the map ending in 701 on your bike -if thats not what is loaded
Yes a 500. I'm going to try increasing the idle a bit to see if that cures the hesitation. I'm thinking it won't. Then I'll need to see if BDSM magic mod works.

Anyone using the magic mod from BDSM?

Garrett
Old 03-18-2013, 06:36 AM   #3528
Lulu7404
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 273
Tps

Quote:
Originally Posted by garrett View Post
Yes a 500. I'm going to try increasing the idle a bit to see if that cures the hesitation. I'm thinking it won't. Then I'll need to see if BDSM magic mod works.

Garrett
Try correcting the TPS before anything else. If dealer did a correct desmog, the pipe flows pretty good. It's easy to do just by sound. Loosen the screw, turn sensor CCW a few degrees until the idle smoothes out and increases then hold while you retighten the screw. The official version uses a multimeter, but audible worked wonders for mine.
Lulu7404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 07:10 AM   #3529
bill1960
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 358
handlebars

Has anyone changed the bars on their 500 ?

I'm looking for less sweep/pullback but not necessarily any higher

The oem bar has 57mm sweep according to Renthal

http://www.renthal.com/File/fit_my_b...&bikedate=2012

Bars with less sweep that I think should fit are the Protaper Contour KTM bend, 47mm sweep

http://www.protaper.com/products/handlebars/contour

or Renthals KTM Hi or Lo bend at ~42mm sweep

http://www.renthal.com/File/product2...del=&bikedate=

Anyone had experience with those bars on the 2012/13 500's ?
bill1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 09:37 AM   #3530
Too Tall
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 185
Bars w/ less sweep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill1960 View Post

Bars with less sweep that I think should fit are the Protaper Contour KTM bend, 47mm sweep

I'm thinking of going with handlebars with less sweep as well. Found these on Trail Tech's website that only have 40mm of sweep but haven't purchased yet. http://trailtech.net/motorcycle_x-bars.html .

Anyone else tried the Trail Tech bars?
2012 Triumph 800XC
2010 KTM 990 SMT
Too Tall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 10:24 AM   #3531
garrett
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 449
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lulu7404 View Post
Try correcting the TPS before anything else. If dealer did a correct desmog, the pipe flows pretty good. It's easy to do just by sound. Loosen the screw, turn sensor CCW a few degrees until the idle smoothes out and increases then hold while you retighten the screw. The official version uses a multimeter, but audible worked wonders for mine.
Thanks Lulu I'll give it a go.
Old 03-18-2013, 04:23 PM   #3532
Vico1
The Maestro

Oddometer: 5,976
Quote:
Thanks Lulu I'll give it a go.
I know you may have done this already but a simple stepup in idle made a hugh difference in my "initial" response. I have a JDTuner and this required adjusting the idle some.

Helps starting also....

my 2 cents

BTW I have just over 2500 miles of almost all dirt on my bike and I am still amazed at how well everything works with so little hassle...

You dont quit riding when you get old, you get old when you quit riding.
I don't always ride street bikes, but when I do I prefer VStroms
Vico1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 06:57 PM   #3533
MJG2
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
Quote:

500 XCW or EXC- and are OE bars different on those two bikes
09 Kawasaki KLX250S
07 Ducati Multistrada 1100 S
MJG2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 07:01 PM   #3534
MJG2
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
Quote:

Garrett
You mentioned you have XCW map -its might not be #701 latest and greatest -actually a EU map

Id find out the # on your ECU map and before you add stuff like JD tuner or that magic mod get the #701 ECU map loaded at a local dealer- many people have only that Map and are very pleased -

701 map
set idle
check tps

that might do it
09 Kawasaki KLX250S
07 Ducati Multistrada 1100 S
MJG2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 07:50 PM   #3535
AussieClay
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Quote:
You mentioned you have XCW map -its might not be #701 latest and greatest -actually a EU map

Id find out the # on your ECU map and before you add stuff like JD tuner or that magic mod get the #701 ECU map loaded at a local dealer- many people have only that Map and are very pleased -

701 map
set idle
check tps

that might do it

There are many different versions of the 701 map.... if you want to use the map switch, get the unrestricted EU map. Otherwise the unrestricted AU (Australian) map is supposed to be good.
AussieClay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 07:57 PM   #3536
bill1960
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 358
Quote:
500 XCW or EXC- and are OE bars different on those two bikes
Mine's a 2013 500 xcw

The oem pt no's for the 500 exc and xcw handlebars are the same

The Renthal site has a Fit My Bike function

http://www.renthal.com/File/fit_my_bike.asp

According to renthals data, the 525's had a taller and flatter bar similar to the Renthal KTM Hi Bend 826-01. 95mm high and only 42mm sweep

Then for the 530 and subsequently the 500's KTM switched to a lower bend with more sweep, 80mm high and 57mm sweep.

As I already have the pivot pegz in low position, I'm thinking the Renthal KTM Low 822-01 would suit my ~6' frame. It's 84mm high and 41mm sweep. So I'm aiming for further fwd, not necessarily higher.

I'm running the perches in the number 3 position which aligns the bars with the forks centerline. I read that its negative for steering control to have the bars mounted in front of the forks
bill1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 08:01 PM   #3537
Enduro Outlaw
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Little of topic.. Front end wash out.

I have done alot of searching and have read this entire thread so hear goes. I have a 2013 500 exc and have wash out issues like crazy. The front end will roll up and out of berms or just throw me flat on my face at any given time.

The main issue is I'm short as hell for this bike at 5.5 but I can ride the hell out of this bike as long as the front end tracks "which is half the time" My corner speed sucks in soft soil because I have to watch the front end or down I go.. My exit speed is so so until I can get it under control. The bike is just so damn tall.. So I have had to lower the forks in the clamps and back off the rear preload just to tip toe this thing.. I know it's funny! I can laugh at myself. I'm talking ricky carmichael short.

Anyway I have the bike setup as soft as I can get it and the front and rear compress evenly and does not bottem out. I don't currently have a $G to spend to get my suspention dropped an inch and valved. I have pirelli XCMH front and rear "Standard Tire Sizes" and the bike handles perfectly on the street. I can hammer it in corners and wheely all the way around. I get better handling out of it on the street than off road.

I got from supermoto feel to Ice skating as soon as I hit the dirt. I understand I have mid to hard tires but damn.. really? I should not feel like I'm riding on wet clay all the time.

Enduro Outlaw screwed with this post 03-18-2013 at 08:08 PM
Enduro Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 09:47 PM   #3538
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,652
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enduro Outlaw View Post
I have done alot of searching and have read this entire thread so hear goes. I have a 2013 500 exc and have wash out issues like crazy. The front end will roll up and out of berms or just throw me flat on my face at any given time.

The main issue is I'm short as hell for this bike at 5.5 but I can ride the hell out of this bike as long as the front end tracks "which is half the time" My corner speed sucks in soft soil because I have to watch the front end or down I go.. My exit speed is so so until I can get it under control. The bike is just so damn tall.. So I have had to lower the forks in the clamps and back off the rear preload just to tip toe this thing.. I know it's funny! I can laugh at myself. I'm talking ricky carmichael short.

Anyway I have the bike setup as soft as I can get it and the front and rear compress evenly and does not bottem out. I don't currently have a $G to spend to get my suspention dropped an inch and valved. I have pirelli XCMH front and rear "Standard Tire Sizes" and the bike handles perfectly on the street. I can hammer it in corners and wheely all the way around. I get better handling out of it on the street than off road.

I got from supermoto feel to Ice skating as soon as I hit the dirt. I understand I have mid to hard tires but damn.. really? I should not feel like I'm riding on wet clay all the time.
I've only been riding my 500 on the street due to a broken arm, however like you I've not found the front end inspiring much confidence. It steers lovely and light but does not feel planted enough for me to have the confidence to tip the bike in hard on the pavement like my 525. It seems to have a disconnected feel between the front and rear wheel. Like you I'm 5'5", suspension specs are 115mm of sag and one line showing on the fork tubes above the triple clamps. I'll play about with fork tube height to see what feels better, more or less trail and see if I can get it a bit better. However it won't be another month until I can get it off road and really see how it feels.
Team "Fingering The Bean"

Looking for the woman that takes the wheel when I'm seeing double.
team ftb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 09:54 PM   #3539
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,652
Quote:
Mine's a 2013 500 xcw

The oem pt no's for the 500 exc and xcw handlebars are the same

The Renthal site has a Fit My Bike function

http://www.renthal.com/File/fit_my_bike.asp

According to renthals data, the 525's had a taller and flatter bar similar to the Renthal KTM Hi Bend 826-01. 95mm high and only 42mm sweep

Then for the 530 and subsequently the 500's KTM switched to a lower bend with more sweep, 80mm high and 57mm sweep.

As I already have the pivot pegz in low position, I'm thinking the Renthal KTM Low 822-01 would suit my ~6' frame. It's 84mm high and 41mm sweep. So I'm aiming for further fwd, not necessarily higher.

I'm running the perches in the number 3 position which aligns the bars with the forks centerline. I read that its negative for steering control to have the bars mounted in front of the forks
Bill - coming from the 525 I liked that bar a lot better (for me) than the 500 bars. Less sweep and a touch more height (keep in mind I'm only 5'5"). Depending on how much standing you're doing, and being 6' tall I might consider the KTM tall bend, depending how much lower the Pivot Pegz have dropped the footpeg height. If you're not looking for anymore height than stock and you're completely comfortable standing with the stock bars then disregard my comment. Bars, like girlfriends, are a personal matter and we all like different things.
Team "Fingering The Bean"

Looking for the woman that takes the wheel when I'm seeing double.
team ftb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 10:28 PM   #3540
Enduro Outlaw
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by team ftb View Post
I've only been riding my 500 on the street due to a broken arm, however like you I've not found the front end inspiring much confidence. It steers lovely and light but does not feel planted enough for me to have the confidence to tip the bike in hard on the pavement like my 525. It seems to have a disconnected feel between the front and rear wheel. Like you I'm 5'5", suspension specs are 115mm of sag and one line showing on the fork tubes above the triple clamps. I'll play about with fork tube height to see what feels better, more or less trail and see if I can get it a bit better. However it won't be another month until I can get it off road and really see how it feels.

Thanks for the reply. I have my forks 23mm above the clamps and I use bar risers to bring the bars up to make room. I have them in posistion #2. The stock hight I dont care for when standing up.. I makes me feel leaned over to much and less stable. I just can't get comfortable on the bike. The seat shape feels way to flat and the bars feel a litte to high when sitting with the risers and to low in the stock posistion.. feels like a mountain bike to me. I don't know.. I just can't sit on the bike and say... "Yeah!" yet.

Just getting tired of fighting the front end.. back and forth, back and forth.. like driving a floor buffer.. very carful movments.
Enduro Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote