Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 50 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-18-2013, 01:40 PM   #1771
Jonnylotto
Kumbaya my ass

Oddometer: 14,883
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitham_wannabe View Post

Very nice

Now you have to shoot a POV of that trail.
Old 03-18-2013, 02:39 PM   #1772
DakarNick
Swabee

Oddometer: 6,508
Quote:
Originally Posted by moodfart View Post
Bought a cheapie electric RC helicopter over the weekend on a whim, and, well, I'm hooked. Just what I need, another diet pill for my wallet. Hell of a lotta fun, though. Gonna start combing through the thread and see where I can throw money after I buy another bike.
Which heli did you get?
DakarNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 03:49 PM   #1773
Tallbastid
Let's get tropical

Oddometer: 1,239
Interceptor 3.0 from RadioShack? I don't think it's anything good, I just ordered some replacement tail rotors after my buddy crashed it
Old 03-18-2013, 06:59 PM   #1774
Saget
Not quite a full house

Oddometer: 464
Just another flight video...

I forgot I recorded this one back in the middle of January. A slow relaxing flight on a perfectly calm winter evening. Go 1080 HD and full screen for a nice view of the sunset.

2008 Kaw Connie14
2005 Kaw KLR650
Saget is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 09:40 PM   #1775
Jimmy the Heater
Tilting the Horizon

Oddometer: 1,843
More Non Flying content

Another small update. Drove the 50 miles to the nearest hobby store and picked up a few more goodies.

Body posts, battery strap, receiver box, and esc plate.

Battery strap and hardware put on

ESC and bottom receiver box mounted

Receiver mounted and battery installed! What you can't see in the pic is everything is powered up and worked fine.

Only have to get the correct length steering control rod, a few countersunk screws, finish masking the body and paint it. Then it will be a complete project!

I could have done without the esc plate and the receiver box but I didn't want to do an incomplete job. I wanted to keep it waterproof for some nasty weather driving and above all, I wanted it to look like it came that way from the factory.

Hope this is helping anyone else that is thinking about doing this conversion.
Jimmy the Heater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 03:40 AM   #1776
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,181
I have not been able to fly in weeks it seems. The wind here is just insane over 20mph daily. Lastnight before a front comes in today it got a little calm before the wind shift right at dusk. Got about 3min in before my fingers started to freeze.....where the hell is spring.

Today, snow, sleet, rain, freezing rain....all said and done depending on the station you listen to we can have up to another 10 inches of snow by sunday night.

Global warming.
FPGT72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 06:34 AM   #1777
DakarNick
Swabee

Oddometer: 6,508
Quote:
Originally Posted by moodfart View Post
Interceptor 3.0 from RadioShack? I don't think it's anything good, I just ordered some replacement tail rotors after my buddy crashed it
Ah, the classic toy-grade 3-channel co-axial with a tail-rotor. A tail-rotor on the horizontal instead of vertical. Much easier to use that for pitch, though, as opposed to building a cyclic-system with a swashplate.

If that heli whets your appetite, don't fix it. Go buy a hobby-grade Blade MXC or similar. Much more fun, responsive, realistic (there are full-size co-axials), etc.
DakarNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 06:34 AM   #1778
CousinLarry
Ridin Dirty

Oddometer: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPGT72 View Post
I have not been able to fly in weeks it seems. The wind here is just insane over 20mph daily.

Get yourself a UMX Sbach 342 with AS3X :) I have flown mine in 20-25 with 30mph gusts and it surfs the wind nicely :)

A 2.5oz foam plane is what I break out when it's too windy to fly anything else! haha
Old 03-21-2013, 07:02 AM   #1779
Tallbastid
Let's get tropical

Oddometer: 1,239
Quote:
Originally Posted by DakarNick View Post
Ah, the classic toy-grade 3-channel co-axial with a tail-rotor. A tail-rotor on the horizontal instead of vertical. Much easier to use that for pitch, though, as opposed to building a cyclic-system with a swashplate.

If that heli whets your appetite, don't fix it. Go buy a hobby-grade Blade MXC or similar. Much more fun, responsive, realistic (there are full-size co-axials), etc.

Yeah, thats what I'm planning on. I have a few other things higher up on the list, so for now I'll keep screwing around with this thing.
Old 03-21-2013, 07:27 AM   #1780
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CousinLarry View Post
Get yourself a UMX Sbach 342 with AS3X :) I have flown mine in 20-25 with 30mph gusts and it surfs the wind nicely :)

A 2.5oz foam plane is what I break out when it's too windy to fly anything else! haha
The fricken cold is just a knife in my bad arm....just came in from putting in a part in a work car....fark it hurts.

Looks like a cool little plane....everything I own is scale, and I bought my first non warbird just a week or so ago, a 1400mm Cub.

3D just never intrested me, I am however amazed at the things people can do with them. I have been flying inside an old FP honeybee, but the brushed motors are on their last leg....I am thinking I may pick up another smallish heli, but I really like the planes better.
Old 03-21-2013, 07:46 AM   #1781
CousinLarry
Ridin Dirty

They call it "3D" but it's really not.. It's just a really nice aerobatic/sport/pattern type plane. I've had a bunch of airplanes over the years, and I think this is my favorite one to fly. It just does everything well, I can fly it anywhere, the batteries are $4.00 each and flies 6-8 mins per battery, and don't have to worry about breaking the bank when you crash it.. A little CA and it's good as new.

LOVE this plane..

Check back a few posts I think I put up a video surfing the wind..
Old 03-21-2013, 03:30 PM   #1782
CousinLarry
Ridin Dirty

Video from today - doing some high dives with my quad!!

Old 03-21-2013, 03:35 PM   #1783
Saget
Not quite a full house

Oddometer: 464
Ready for another first flight..... Almost.

The ESC I got from Hobby King was DOA, so it's on the way back. I've made over 20 orders from them and this is the first time I've had an issue, so we'll see how it goes.

Anyway, went from this:

to this:

60" Extra 300 built from a Great Planes kit. I got it from a friend all framed up and ready to cover. But I'm not one to leave well enough alone, so I had to make a few changes.

It had 3/4" strip ailerons with a single servo. Nope. I made them about 2" with individual servos. Likewise with the tail surfaces, I added 1-1/2" trailing edge stock to make them bigger and beefed them up accordingly. Servos are in the tail.

Instead of nitro, I went electric. NTM 50-50 580 Kv motor, 100 amp ESC, 6S 5800mah battery, and 15x8 prop. 5 amp BEC, Orange receiver, Futaba ball-bearing servos.

I wanted to try something different with the finish, so it's all covered with white Ultracote. The colors are sprayed on with good ol' Krylon. We'll see how well it holds up. To be honest, I'm not so sure. Time will tell.

I was hoping to keep it under 8 pounds, but didn't quite make it. 8 lbs 2 oz ready to go with battery. The battery alone is nearly 2 pounds, so I can save some weight with a smaller one if need be.

Now if I just had a good ESC!!
2008 Kaw Connie14
2005 Kaw KLR650
Saget is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 03:53 PM   #1784
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Looks nice, here it is a snow/sleet mix, but no wind...so me being the dumb ass that I am ran out flew one lap then ran back in...it was fun.

Everyone else is posting up pics...pretty pics....I am too lazy so here are a few of the basement....you should be able to pick a few things out.

Looking at those pics....dear god I have a lot of crap...that ain't even the half of it.

Old 03-22-2013, 09:39 AM   #1785
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Got a light dusting of snow before the next round 6-8" comes later tonight....might just take out the old Slash and play in the snow a bit.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: