Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-18-2013, 05:24 PM   #1
Black Knight 1 OP
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Ride around Haiti

Hello everyone,
Been a member here for a while ,mostly lurking around and appreciating what everyone else around here have been doing. I must tell you guys that I am from Port-au-Prince ,Haiti, a place where even riding in town is off-roading.
Agroup of friends of mine and I decided to do something that no one else has ever done: a ride around the whole country at once.
All 5 of us are experienced riders .... I always rode quads.I participated in many rallys both in haiti and in the Dominican Republic with success. I used to ride 2 wheels quite a few years ago but got into quads and stuck to it.
I recently acquired a 1997 BMW R80 GS. I will do this ride on the GS. Everyone else will be riding adventure type bikes. There will be 2 super Teneres ,a 1999 GS 1100 and a 2007 suzuki DR 600.
The trails around Haiti vary a lot from moderate to Highly technical .
I have done almost the whole country on different occasions but only one area at a time.This time we are doing the whole thing at once. We estimate about 15 days to do the whole thing.... We are preparing this for the month of june (middle of rainy season). I will keep a journal of this adventure here with lots of pics and daily reports . Hope I did not bore you too much with my adventure project and that you'll enjoy seeing a different side of this playground we call home.
Black Knight 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 05:30 PM   #2
Bgunn
Mucha distancia

Oddometer: 1,310
Looking forward to this one....
Bgunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 07:24 PM   #3
scotty_rides
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Looking forward to your pictures and posts. I have been to Port de Paix and nearby rural areas (flew into Port au Prince then on to the North). I found Haiti and its people to be very
genuine and friendly. Hope to go back again. Would love to ride there someday. Good luck on your trip!

Scott
Old 03-18-2013, 08:06 PM   #4
Black Knight 1 OP
n00b

Thanks ,Scotty. We hope to ride tru Port-de-Paixduring the first leg of the trip. Promisses to be realy hard for us past that point.... I still have nightmares about a place called Anse a Foleur. Beatiful views but a terrible terrible climb on nastily rocky trail . I went there last time on my Raptor 700 and barely made it to the top.... I wonder how those big and heavy beemers will fare.... Oh well ! we'll see !
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty_rides View Post
Looking forward to your pictures and posts. I have been to Port de Paix and nearby rural areas (flew into Port au Prince then on to the North). I found Haiti and its people to be very
genuine and friendly. Hope to go back again. Would love to ride there someday. Good luck on your trip!

Scott
Old 03-18-2013, 08:11 PM   #5
WeazyBuddha
Carbon-Based Humanoid

Oddometer: 4,164
Subscribed!

My heart aches when I am reminded of the hardships of Haiti. Like people around the globe, I am sure the good outnumber the bad by a large number.

Looking forward to the pictures, the people the landscapes and stories.

Old 04-02-2013, 05:20 AM   #6
Black Knight 1 OP
n00b

I started getting my bike ready for the trip and realized that every time I use the side stand the right side carb leaks out fuel right on top of the exhaust pipe ..... Not good to my taste. I recently rebuilt both carbs for doing exactly that.
Does anyone know what causes this issue ? any help will be appreciated.
Old 04-02-2013, 06:49 AM   #7
WeazyBuddha
Carbon-Based Humanoid

Post on GSpot and someone will have answer for you fairly quick, I suspect

http://advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3
Old 04-02-2013, 07:23 AM   #8
Mugwest

Oddometer: 5,728
R80GS is one of the very last airheads, so post your carb problem in the Airheads subforum instead of GSpot:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=85

lots of carb help there
Old 04-02-2013, 08:33 AM   #9
WeazyBuddha
Carbon-Based Humanoid

Ah, my bad. Thanks for correcting that.
Old 04-04-2013, 04:05 AM   #10
Black Knight 1 OP
n00b

Thanks guys ! solved it ! .New question. Can Knoby tires be installed on this monster ? The current tires I have on it are tubeless and I kind of like that feature but the terrain we are considering demands some serious clits .... can the OEM wheels take tube type tires ?
We had our first formal reunion at a realy nice restaurant last night and one of the guys had some serious concerns about the BMW's being able to make it thru certain rough spots ,particularly Anse -a- Foleur..... I must say that I feel the same but we decided to give it our best on them... I'll post some pics of the bike and of the reunion later on. Thanks again to all those who answered .