Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-18-2013, 06:16 PM   #1456
alvincullumyork
I wish I was cool

Oddometer: 1,228
Quote:
Originally Posted by advFord View Post
I'm a fan of the interactive map. It helps to get the bigger picture of where you're at. It saves time from having to google search the town names that you post.

So what's the story on the couple that was attacked. I read about that in the news. Since my family and friends know I want to ride to South America they send me all the articles of the worst news of things that happen down there. My mom is probably hoping I'll reconsider.

bon voyage.
Don't you know thgat you'll be killed in Mexico and then your dead body will be kidnapped in Columbia and after that you'll get run over by some crazy driver in Peru.
alvincullumyork is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 06:23 PM   #1457
Ulyses OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 894
Quote:
Originally Posted by alvincullumyork View Post
Don't you know thgat you'll be killed in Mexico and then your dead body will be kidnapped in Columbia and after that you'll get run over by some crazy driver in Peru.
Yeah, whatever you do, definetly don't cross that border. It's highly probable that you won't come back with all of your internal organs. I've met several people who woke up in a bathtub full of ice in an abandoned building in La Paz minus a kidney.
Ulyses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 06:29 PM   #1458
Ulyses OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:

So what's the story on the couple that was attacked. I read about that in the news. Since my family and friends know I want to ride to South America they send me all the articles of the worst news of things that happen down there. My mom is probably hoping I'll reconsider.
I'll let you read the story straight from their blog:

http://adventureamericas.wordpress.c...tmare-in-peru/

I met them in a hostal in Lima after they had gotten jumped. Jed was just getting his teeth fixed that day. Crazy stuff. I couldn't believe that it happened in Peru. They're troopers. They didn't let a little thing like being attacked by an entire village and held at gunpoint stop them from continuing their trip! Awesome people!
Old 03-18-2013, 06:51 PM   #1459
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless

Oddometer: 2,114
I just read that blog post. Holy crap! That's insane. I think I'll be avoiding Peru unless they actually do something about those villagers.

Rob
'10 Kawasaki KLX351S #320
Rob.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 07:05 PM   #1460
alvincullumyork
I wish I was cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulyses View Post
I'll let you read the story straight from their blog:

http://adventureamericas.wordpress.c...tmare-in-peru/

I met them in a hostal in Lima after they had gotten jumped. Jed was just getting his teeth fixed that day. Crazy stuff. I couldn't believe that it happened in Peru. They're troopers. They didn't let a little thing like being attacked by an entire village and held at gunpoint stop them from continuing their trip! Awesome people!
Holy Crap!
Old 03-18-2013, 07:15 PM   #1461
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Oddometer: 5,326
Quote:
I'm a fan of the interactive map. It helps to get the bigger picture of where you're at. It saves time from having to google search the town names that you post.

bon voyage.
Right on. Saves time finding the towns and takes any guesswork out of checking the route.

Well I thought that was a reference to something I had somehow missed earlier in the report. I had no idea of any couple being attacked in Peru in the news. But I went looking and found their blog. Nightmare is suitable description for what they went through. I don't know how to read between the lines here, but one thing to keep in mind when traveling out of our country is that even though we may beleive we do, we really no longer have rights. If we try to assert any "rights", we are going to be taught some kind of a lesson. We are not going to be coddled by the authorities nor the people in these countries like we are in our own. A compounding factor is that men are still in charge in Latin America as they haven't turned control over to the women like we have in the US. So a gringo woman trying to take the reins isn't going to go over well even in the best of situations. Our best approach is to be humble, cooperative, and understanding - above all show respect. After all, we are invading on their turf. If they want to see our documents, we show them the document copies we have specially prepared for such occasions. If they ask us not to leave, we hang out with them. Refusing to show them the documents, then taking off demonstrates a complete lack of respect. Then heading the wrong way down a dead-end road demonstrates a complete lack of understanding. Most of us pampered gringos are used to getting away with both of those on a regular basis, but in those places, the population is largely self-policed. You are going to get treated the way people think you deserve to be treated. If there was a group of people wanting to injure and maybe even kill travelers as we've heard, somehow their emotions were evoked to that level. I expect we will never know how but stuff like that doesn't just happen randomly.
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
ONandOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 07:23 PM   #1462
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Quote:

... and then on to Uruguay to spend some time on the beach. I'm tired of being cold.
Hey Bryce, I'm looking at those fuel containers and wondering if perhaps they are serving double-duty as spare gas carriers... is that possible, are you cooking with gasoline? Looks like you're making what we call bistec - yumm!

Punta del Este - I'm sure you'll love it. I did, about 35 years ago.
Dios lo acompañe!
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
Old 03-18-2013, 07:43 PM   #1463
tvbh40a
PSUViking

Oddometer: 1,404
Pictures

They are flipping awesome! The colors are showing up great on my computer.

Enjoying the RR. Slow down and have fun.
tvbh40a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 08:14 PM   #1464
Ulyses OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob.G View Post
I just read that blog post. Holy crap! That's insane. I think I'll be avoiding Peru unless they actually do something about those villagers.

Rob
I offered to go burn down the village and spread salt on the ruins. That'll learn em!

Seriously though, that is something I would not expect to happen in Peru.
Old 03-18-2013, 08:17 PM   #1465
Ulyses OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ONandOFF View Post
Hey Bryce, I'm looking at those fuel containers and wondering if perhaps they are serving double-duty as spare gas carriers... is that possible, are you cooking with gasoline?
Dios lo acompañe!

Yep, I'm cooking with gas. Because I have a gravity fed fuel system, I just unplug my fuel lines and fill up my stove canister off of my fuel tank. It makes things simple. It does clog the stove up a little bit; you just have to be dillegent in cleaning it. And yes, in a pinch, I have an extra 600ml of gasoline.
Old 03-18-2013, 08:33 PM   #1466
James5150
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Quote:
Right on. Saves time finding the towns and takes any guesswork out of checking the route.

Well I thought that was a reference to something I had somehow missed earlier in the report. I had no idea of any couple being attacked in Peru in the news. But I went looking and found their blog. Nightmare is suitable description for what they went through. I don't know how to read between the lines here, but one thing to keep in mind when traveling out of our country is that even though we may beleive we do, we really no longer have rights. If we try to assert any "rights", we are going to be taught some kind of a lesson. We are not going to be coddled by the authorities nor the people in these countries like we are in our own. A compounding factor is that men are still in charge in Latin America as they haven't turned control over to the women like we have in the US. So a gringo woman trying to take the reins isn't going to go over well even in the best of situations. Our best approach is to be humble, cooperative, and understanding - above all show respect. After all, we are invading on their turf. If they want to see our documents, we show them the document copies we have specially prepared for such occasions. If they ask us not to leave, we hang out with them. Refusing to show them the documents, then taking off demonstrates a complete lack of respect. Then heading the wrong way down a dead-end road demonstrates a complete lack of understanding. Most of us pampered gringos are used to getting away with both of those on a regular basis, but in those places, the population is largely self-policed. You are going to get treated the way people think you deserve to be treated. If there was a group of people wanting to injure and maybe even kill travelers as we've heard, somehow their emotions were evoked to that level. I expect we will never know how but stuff like that doesn't just happen randomly.
Yea it must have been the lack of respect that got them beatin half to death. This is why I dont travel out of the U.S. Ulyses be careful out there and make it home safe

James5150 screwed with this post 03-18-2013 at 08:41 PM
James5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 09:07 PM   #1467
alvincullumyork
I wish I was cool

Quote:
I offered to go burn down the village and spread salt on the ruins. That'll learn em!

Seriously though, that is something I would not expect to happen in Peru.
FSU!!!!! I knew you should have taken a 240g
Old 03-19-2013, 08:12 AM   #1468
some call me...tim
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 272
Quote:

I imagine that after driving from Wyoming to Peru, they've probably gotten a good feel for how to conduct themselves in other cultures. Sounds like this was truly a case of being in the wrong place at the wrong time.
some call me...tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:46 AM   #1469
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Quote:
Originally Posted by some call me...tim View Post
I imagine that after driving from Wyoming to Peru, they've probably gotten a good feel for how to conduct themselves in other cultures. Sounds like this was truly a case of being in the wrong place at the wrong time.
Certianly it could be put that way. Who knows if perhaps the indiscretions of some previous travelers were being revisited on them. Like us all, I'm just trying to imagine it, having not been a part of it. I have no doubt the perspective of what preciptated would be quite different from each side. Having some insight as a result of visiting in dangerous areas of Latin America and having several in-depth discussions with the folks who live in them, I figured I'd share some of what I've learned and observed for the benefit of those who may venture to similar areas. By no means am I trying to assign blame to either side, yet I believe it's fair to speculate that it can be shared. If there's a "take home" message, it could be that when in a situation where the people "self-police", we are most likely to fare well by cooperating, not by challenging. Acting with humility can go a long way toward eliciting compassion.

Bryce, that's brilliant that you carry spare gasoline and use that for cooking - what a great way of combining resources!
Old 03-19-2013, 11:05 AM   #1470
alvincullumyork
I wish I was cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by some call me...tim View Post
Quote:
Certianly it could be put that way. Who knows if perhaps the indiscretions of some previous travelers were being revisited on them. Like us all, I'm just trying to imagine it, having not been a part of it. ....Snip....
I have my own thoughts on this as well but we should probably leave the analysis and guessing games to another thread.