Old 03-18-2013, 09:36 AM   #1651
bmac
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingdutchman177 View Post
Is everyone still with me?
Hello Lalo,
This is my first post in your thread but I have been following for a long time and have read every page. For every one that posts there are probably 200 that are tracking your thread but have remained silent. They are out there so just keep doing what you are doing.

You have a very good mix of commentary, pictures, and reflection on the meaning of life. Your journey is no doubt providing you with a tremendous life lesson but it has just as much value to those folks that cannot or will not take the trip themselves but instead choose to live it vicariously through you.

I thoroughly enjoy your ability to meet new people and provide a glimpse into the life of strangers. You are right, most people in the world are good folks and I wish you the best of the luck in meeting more of them during the rest of your journey and enjoying their hospitality.

Great job and keep up the good work!

Barry
Old 03-18-2013, 02:42 PM   #1652
vintagespeed
fNg

Oddometer: 1,518
still with you Lalo and looking for more.....!

TAT-2013: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=913898
SoCal_NoDak-2012: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=829203
Old 03-18-2013, 08:10 PM   #1653
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,408
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanox14 View Post
dude what an awesome time it looks you area having in COLOMBIA, its sucks that looks that you are heading south instead of coming to Venezuela, but I know that News from here are not that positive,, but hey,, have a blast, and I've been coming here since you started coming down from Alaska. keep the awesome pics dude,, and the rubber side down.
Maybe on the way back up I can stop by. I really want to see Salto de Angel. And of course all of your beautiful women.
I ran in to a 13 motorcycle roders from Venezuela at the border today crossing in to Ecuador in route to Lima and then back home thru Brazil.
Nice group of men and women
We will stay in touch
Lalo
Old 03-18-2013, 08:19 PM   #1654
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmac View Post
Hello Lalo,
This is my first post in your thread but I have been following for a long time and have read every page. For every one that posts there are probably 200 that are tracking your thread but have remained silent. They are out there so just keep doing what you are doing.

You have a very good mix of commentary, pictures, and reflection on the meaning of life. Your journey is no doubt providing you with a tremendous life lesson but it has just as much value to those folks that cannot or will not take the trip themselves but instead choose to live it vicariously through you.

I thoroughly enjoy your ability to meet new people and provide a glimpse into the life of strangers. You are right, most people in the world are good folks and I wish you the best of the luck in meeting more of them during the rest of your journey and enjoying their hospitality.

Great job and keep up the good work!

Barry
Hi Barry
Thanks for the kind words.
I think instead of 200 silient followers, it is more like 2000. I just hit 200,000 views on my blog this week. I know half of the views are my mom checking to see if I am still alive. But I have maybe 10 or 20 people that comment on my blog on a regular basis. Those are the regulars. And I thank them for that. We need each other. It is nice to receive messages like yours because it does take time and effort to post all the pictures and stories. And it is nice to hear from everyone to corrobate that people are actually interested in my stories and appreciate them.
I am not only learning more about the world on this trip, I am also learning more about myself along the way. Hopefully I will solve that puzzle by the end of my journey.
Glad you are along for the ride
Lalo
Old 03-18-2013, 08:30 PM   #1655
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

The road from Armenia to Cali to Popayon is kind of boring. The roads are good, but there is not much to see. Honestly, even the towns are boring.
The road south to Pasto is in bad shape and is also boring - that is, until you get close to the border with Ecuador - and then things get interesting. The road snakes thru this deep canyon. And there are waterfalls everywhere. And the road is in better shape too. It was one of the best rides in Colombia. And as I was riding down that highway, I was thinking that maybe there were good things ahead going south in to Ecuador
Here's some canyons just north of Pasto

Old 03-18-2013, 08:40 PM   #1656
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Laguan de la Concha

I don't like big cities. They are all the same.
Lots of traffic and people rushing around.
There is nothing there for me in the Cities.
I was planning to spend the night in Pasto and cross in to Ecuador the next day. But I heard about this beautiful lake about 15 miles from Pasto so I decided to try and find a place there for the night. In any event, it had to be better than staying in yet another CITY!
I headed toward the lake. I was bouncing down some dirt roads in the dark trying to find a place on the lake. I found a restaurant/hotel even though there were no signs or people staying there. It had a view of the lake, but since it was dark, I couldn't see anything.
But it turned out to be perfect and just what I was looking for

Old 03-18-2013, 08:43 PM   #1657
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

The place I stayed was a little family owned place with 3 rooms and a restaurant. The price was 50,000 pesos (about $25 a night)
And it included breakfast.

Old 03-18-2013, 08:49 PM   #1658
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

I had dinner in the dining room. They built a fire for me. It was cold that night. The lake is up about 10,000 feet. And there was lightning in the sky of in the distence. There were no other guests.
For dinner I had fresh trout for the lake, rice, soup, french fries, salad and bread. And for dessert, fruit and fresh made cheese. And to drink, cold beer and a fresh jugo de Mora (blackberry juice drink). All for $6 plus $2 for the beer. And it was some of the best food I have had on my entire trip. Too bad my tape worm enjoyed it too

Old 03-18-2013, 08:51 PM   #1659
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Cute dog looking for a hand out.
The food was too good.
Sorry pup

Old 03-18-2013, 09:20 PM   #1660
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Because I arrived after dark, I never got to see my view of the lake from my room that night. But this is what I saw when I woke up in the morning.

Old 03-18-2013, 09:21 PM   #1661
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

My view from the window

Old 03-18-2013, 09:22 PM   #1662
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Old 03-18-2013, 09:23 PM   #1663
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Here's a good use for an old tire

Old 03-18-2013, 09:29 PM   #1664
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

That room over looking the lake cost me about $25. To my surprise, I was short on cash. I was almost out of pesos. I thught I had more but I was short about a dollar to pay of my room and dinner. I gave the guy all of my change that I had left over from the 11 countries I have visited so far. He seemed happy.
He is a view of the town of Pasto. This is where I could have stayed. It was a no brainer to stay on the lake.
I tried to take some back roads so I didn't have to ride thru town. It kind of worked. It took about twice as long, but at least I didn't have to fight traffic

Old 03-18-2013, 09:32 PM   #1665
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Waterfalls everywhere

South of Pasto, near the border with Ecuador, the road goes through that deep canyon with tons of waterfalls

Closed Thread