Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 09:44 PM   #1666
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,643
Ecuador

Today is an exciting day for me. I made it to Ecuador. Don't ask me why, but I never felt far from home until I made it here. Prohdoe Bay is probably further, but everyone does Alaska. Right now, I am about 20 miles from the Equator. And that is pretty cool. And speaking of cool, I didn't realize that it would be this cold here. Being on the equator, one would think it would be really hot. But the Pan American Hwy goes thru the Andes thru Ecuador, The elevation ranges from 5000 to over 10,000 feet. And being up this high, even taking a shit leaves you gasping for air.
For the first time since Alaska, I put on my Gore-tex and rain suit. It rained the whole day here. It's the rainy season.
I am sure you know more about some of these countries than I do if you are reading other people's blogs. I am discovering some stuff for myself that would have been useful before hand.
For example, before I left Colombia, I filled up my 8.7 gallon gas tank. Gas in Colombia is about $5 a gallon. I found out today, gas in Ecuador is $1.50 a gallon. And diesel is about a buck a gallon.
I thnk I am going to really like Ecuador. The roads are amazing. Unlike Colombia, motorcycles have to pay the tools but it is only 20 cents. And the signage is good. There are lots of eco things to do here. It kind of reminds me of Costa Rica. But it better stop raining so I can enjoy this beautiful country

Old 03-18-2013, 09:55 PM   #1667
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

I met a large group of riders at the border from Venezuela,
They were heading to Lima and then back thru Brazil. Sounds like a fun trip. I passed them on the highway. with a large group, they are only as fast as their slowest rider.
The border crossing was the best so far. No money left my pocket other than making the usually copies of my paperwork and my insurance for 30 days (it costs only $3).
I didn't buy insurance in Colombia even though it was required. I had to buy it for the whole year at a cost of $200. I said screw that. I took the risk if I got pulled over, they could impound my bike. And I did get pulled over twice at route check points. First time they asked for my Seguro (insurance) and I pretended like I didn't know what they were asking for. Then I distracted them with my route map, my GPS and other stuff on my motorcycle. They eventually sent the dumb Gringo on his way.
The other time was yesterday. The guy pulled me over and walked up to me and shook my hand. He asked where I was going and where I was coming from. And when I told him, he shook my hand again and said......Welcome to Colombia , and then sent me on my way.

Old 03-18-2013, 09:57 PM   #1668
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

I stopped at this little Indian Village about an hour north of Quito. There was a cool hostel in town but no one there to answer the door, so I left. Crossing the old train track rails was tricky in the wet. I almost dumped the bike there.

Old 03-18-2013, 09:59 PM   #1669
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

When I stay in town, I always find a place with secure parking for my bike behind a locked gate. Here is where I am staying tonight

Old 03-18-2013, 10:02 PM   #1670
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Here I am in downtown Otavalo Ecuador.
I think I really stood out in my shorts, waterproof Klim jacket and Rev'it motorcycle boots.
I got a filet mignon dinner for $8 with all the fixings

Old 03-18-2013, 10:04 PM   #1671
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Here's my room for $11.50 a night.
And the room stinks. Because of my boots and wet clothes

Old 03-18-2013, 10:06 PM   #1672
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Video

CLICK ON THE PICTURE BELOW TO WATCH THE VIDEO
It me riding thru that cool canyon just north of the border in Colombia

Old 03-18-2013, 11:06 PM   #1673
Bgunn
Mucha distancia

Oddometer: 1,324
Thanks for keeping the updates fresh... Hope the weather warms up soon.
It's been a long time since I've seen $1.50 gas.
Old 03-19-2013, 12:40 AM   #1674
AT86
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bgunn View Post
And you guys talk about gallon while $ 1.50 is our price per liter :
Old 03-19-2013, 06:24 AM   #1675
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bgunn View Post
Thanks for keeping the updates fresh... Hope the weather warms up soon.
Yep, gonna burn more gas in this country for sure
Put the pedal to the metal or whatever the motorcycle equivalent is.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:25 AM   #1676
YZman
Bouncing off Trees

Oddometer: 1,120
Loving your report. Living vicariously thru you from my desk in cube hell....keep it up!
Old 03-19-2013, 10:01 AM   #1677
Pete_Tallahassee
Out Standing Member

Oddometer: 135
Still following along.
Old 03-19-2013, 02:01 PM   #1678
TSRT97
I am third

Oddometer: 163
Me too! Still enjoying the reports!
Old 03-19-2013, 02:31 PM   #1679
watatoo
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingdutchman177 View Post
I didn't buy insurance in Colombia even though it was required. I had to buy it for the whole year at a cost of $200. I said screw that. I took the risk if I got pulled over, they could impound my bike. And I did get pulled over twice at route check points. First time they asked for my Seguro (insurance) and I pretended like I didn't know what they were asking for. Then I distracted them with my route map, my GPS and other stuff on my motorcycle. They eventually sent the dumb Gringo on his way.

Its Derek again. That same think happened to us. We opted to not purchase insurance and at the last stop before leaving Colombia they asked for the insurance. Melissa distracted one of them with questions about his motorcycle and i ask the other about directions and showed him my gps. Worked like a charm.

We are a few day ahead of you in Banos, Ecuador. Think we are going to have to pick up the pace as i may have found a guy to purchase my bike in early May. Ill check back in on you when we get to Argentina. Might see a couple riding 2up on a fully loaded 2001 KLR.
Old 03-19-2013, 06:40 PM   #1680
Johnnydarock
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 247
[QUOTE=flyingdutchman177;20980665]I stopped at this little Indian Village about an hour north of Quito. There was a cool hostel in town but no one there to answer the door, so I left. Crossing the old train track rails was tricky in the wet. I almost dumped the bike there.

Not sure how you found this place but I stayed there with my wife 20 years ago. You missed a great place. Food is terrific. Rooms are really comfortable and they have local live music almost every night. Oh well.
Closed Thread