Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2013, 12:40 PM   #31
SOS OP
Ignorance is a gift

Oddometer: 707
Got the tailligh and plate bracket roughed in.

Added a top support to lock it in.

And Finally:

Had enough pictures yet?
Old 02-10-2013, 02:10 PM   #32
bpeckm
Grin!

Oddometer: 5,754
Never.

carry on.......
Old 02-10-2013, 02:39 PM   #33
hunter_greyghost
XS650 Allroads Traveller

Oddometer: 8,057
Great work, keep it comin', always interesting looking @ other peoples ideas
Cheers
Baza
hunter_greyghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 05:26 AM   #34
SOS OP
Ignorance is a gift

A place to sit

Got started on the inner and outer fenders. I hate working with fiberglass

First I had to connect the inner fender from the XS that was modified around the monoshock to the inner fender from the Kawasaki F11 that holds the duct bill.

And a little support from the underside:

With the inner fender shape established I could form the 1st seat pan. I am starting with the small MX tank thinking that I can use the same form and just cut it back when we put on the stock XS650 tank to make the second seat.

I didn't take a picture, but I used 7mm plug wire taped around the frame to give the seat some separation and allow for upolstering. That is 4 layers on the first seat and where I left off last night. I still need to incorporate the mounting and get the rubber inserts to get the seat up off the frame a touch. It will probably need another 4 to 6 layers to make sure it is solid, but now that the form is set I can remove it and form the shorter seat for the stock tank.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:05 AM   #35
loosenoose
b00n

Oddometer: 9
This is awesome. i love what you are doing with this.
one of my biggest project regrets had a similar mix and match. a dr250s frame and motor with sv650 suspension and a.gs750 tank. i had a cafe seat for it and then i just hit a brick wall. didnt wire it, didnt make mounts for things... blah. sold it. regrets.

anyways, continue! Your work is bueno.
loosenoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 01:04 PM   #36
SOS OP
Ignorance is a gift

Quote:
Originally Posted by loosenoose View Post
This is awesome. i love what you are doing with this.
one of my biggest project regrets had a similar mix and match. a dr250s frame and motor with sv650 suspension and a.gs750 tank. i had a cafe seat for it and then i just hit a brick wall. didnt wire it, didnt make mounts for things... blah. sold it. regrets.

anyways, continue! Your work is bueno.
Thanks. There are certainly times when I don't want to touch it, but here as Winter is drawing to a close I definitely want to get it on the road.
Old 02-21-2013, 03:14 PM   #37
hunter_greyghost
XS650 Allroads Traveller

Looking great, keep doing what ya doing, should be a work of art when ya finish
Cheers
Baza
Old 02-21-2013, 05:16 PM   #38
SOS OP
Ignorance is a gift

Smells like a seat pan

I was able to separate the first seat with 4 layers of fiberglass (plain old duct tape worked well and released well). 4 layers was not going to be thick enough, but I wanted to get the shorter seat form done as I could add layers later.

Here is the 1st pan for the small MX tank. I needed to do a better job forming the sides so the next layers will have to be better and I formed the tape on the frame for a better mold for the shorter pan with the XS tank.

Working with the fiberglass is tough in the shop. The fumes are bad so I can only do it after we close and I usually need to get back to the family. Things were slow at home last night so I headed back to the shop to get the forms done.

The form was already modified for the stock XS tank so I just had to precut the fiberglass sheeting and stage the resin. Here is the shorter form for the stock tank and the 1st pan on the bench waiting for additional layers.

After 10 sheets of fiberglass:

And an additional 4 sheets on the 1st pan:

Everything was dry this morning and I was able to separate the second seat pan (although with 10 sheets it took some work). Both pans are plenty strong now. Tomorrow I'll get the excess cut off and shape the final pans. Then it will be adding the rubber mounts to sit on the frame and making the front and rear brackets to attach each seat.
Old 02-21-2013, 05:41 PM   #39
bpeckm
Grin!

I have been looking through the photos that I took of my custom fiberglass seat... I found some nice compressible rubber gasket material that I ran along the edges of the seat, worked great. This is the only photo I can find... it shows that gasket stuff up at the front of the seat, I ended up running it all around, for looks and function...

Old 02-21-2013, 07:03 PM   #40
SOS OP
Ignorance is a gift

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpeckm View Post
I have been looking through the photos that I took of my custom fiberglass seat... I found some nice compressible rubber gasket material that I ran along the edges of the seat, worked great. This is the only photo I can find... it shows that gasket stuff up at the front of the seat, I ended up running it all around, for looks and function...

Sweet I like the Beemer Cafe! That compressible rubber is a great option. I am concerned about getting good support for the pans and isolating them from the frame. Hopefully the pans willget used for quite a few miles and I put some serious pressure on them

Do you remember where you got it from?
Old 02-21-2013, 07:18 PM   #41
PhiSig1071
What's ******width?

Oddometer: 2,310
Crazy. But entertaining. Carry on.

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
PhiSig1071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:17 PM   #42
bpeckm
Grin!

I think it was an auto supply store, used for door gasketing... it had a really sticky side to it (peel off the backing) and worked great. I think it helped distribute the load from the seat all along the subframe.....

Old 03-18-2013, 03:45 PM   #43
SOS OP
Ignorance is a gift

Hard to find time to work on the 650, but I did get some of the mounts done.

The upper motor mount had to be redone in order to fit the MX125 tank. The original mount was a funky 3 piece per side deal Not sure why Yamaha did that, but here is the making of the new mounts.

The other issues were the rear brake stay and the mounting for the muffler onto the frame. I originally had the brake stay mounted to one of the main bolts for the pivoting dogbone on the suspension linkage, but I was affraid it would fail after some fatigue. Also, it was getting pretting crowded in that section of the frame with the rear brake pivot, brake stay, suspension linkage mounts and then a muffler mount.

In the end I was able to weld a single mount to the frame that would serve both as the brake stay mount on one side and the mounting point for the muffler on the other side. It took some planning to get the mounts to work while still being able to remove all the hardware (i.e. not welding in a frame piece so I couldn't take the suspension apart).

Here is the muffler in roughly the position I wanted it in.

And making a bracket to hold it there.

And the 2 mounted together

I think that is the last piece that I need the motor mounted in the frame for. There are a few odds and ends to work on, but I think it is time to tear everything down for final welding and then rebuilding everything. It's been a long time to get to this point and I'm glad to be moving on to another phase
Old 03-19-2013, 04:21 AM   #44
hunter_greyghost
XS650 Allroads Traveller

Definately looking an interesting concept, can't wait to see the finished product!
Cheers
Baza
Old 04-04-2014, 10:30 AM   #45
NortwestRider
TRIPOD ADVENTURER !!

Oddometer: 3,749
Cool build !!.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Facebook..PNW Adventure Riders..Facebook
MY BUILD http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=938440
NortwestRider is offline   Reply With Quote