Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-14-2013, 12:02 PM   #16
Disco Dean
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,185
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexBiker View Post
This is what I plan to do just as soon as he can put both feet on the pegs. We ride around the farm on the Sherpa since it's a lot narrower than the GS and he can easily stand on those pegs.
Trials Rider.... Bultaco or new Kawi Sherpa???

My rule was as long as he had both feet on the pegs and full gear. I didn't go far enough for him to fall asleep, which wasn't far at 4! And, when we went camping he had the tent and bed rolls behind him and the two sleeping bags beside him so couldn't fall out when he slept.

Whenever he wasn't he was singing! Took me a long time to figure out what the sound was... :-) kept me smiling even now!

As your attorney, I advise you to buy a motorcycle. How else can we cover a thing like this righteously?
Disco Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 12:37 PM   #17
Iron Rey
Oh shit, not him!

Oddometer: 816
Yep, my kids been riding since they could reach the pegs, I found gear for them easy enough and on long multi day trips they fell asleep, my son would lean back against the sleeping bags and tent, his own Barcalounger, my daughter would just lean up against me...They were the best trips I have ever taken.

I put my boy through the MSF course last year and now he has his own R100R, my daughter will go thru scooter class this spring and I will get her a Yamaha T-Max...Fun days ahead!
Iron Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 12:59 PM   #18
twintwin
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 625
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexBiker View Post
At least they are good reasons...

They both love to climb around on it. I'm really looking forward to the day when they are big enough to ride with me.
ONE GOOD RAISON to try something else
With a rig you can accomodate all the family, and have a lot of fun at the same time. All my 4 kids are now teens, but I still own the rig, in the process to built an other one, and I'm also riding my two GS on 2 wheels.

twintwin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 01:08 PM   #19
PukaWai
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 663
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVa Rider View Post

Is she actually smiling about something other than some little electronic gadget??? That's absolutely awesome!
Old 03-14-2013, 02:39 PM   #20
Desert Skies
One brick shy...

Oddometer: 2,227
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
I was lucky,my dad rode,my mom rode some,my sister raced horses at full speed,mom was an aerobatic rated pilot as was dad.
Nobody got hurt much,everybody had a good time.

Shame to stop doing what you love for a non guaranteed safety.
Well, I couldn't afford to put wheels under the whole family, especially with a gymnast daughter, that coupled with competition cheer and dance recitals eat a big chunk out any motorcycle budget. Girls are spensive...

The boy didn't consume half as much of our paychecks.

We still had just as much fun camping and fishing... Now they are off doing their own thing, I fish very little and am out riding the wheels off the motorcycles I have any chance I get.
Tripn' with Tom Some pictures ZZ Rider - Tom Lowry Texas Blue - Tom Lowry

Desert Skies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 02:49 PM   #21
TexBiker OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 815
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco Dean View Post
Trials Rider.... Bultaco or new Kawi Sherpa???
'01 Kawi Super Sherpa.

Quote:
My rule was as long as he had both feet on the pegs and full gear.
Same here, although right now he just has motocross gear since that's easy and cheap to find in his size. He's already outgrown three sets of pants, so "cheap" is good!

When he gets ready for the road, I'll looking for the good stuff. Would be cool if Olympia made the Phantom suits in his size so we'd match.

-Mark Twain
TexBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 08:49 PM   #22
hootch
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 231
Big coat

I have a friend that has a heck of a time with his wife falling asleep on the back. It seems that her dad was a Harley rider and he would put a slightly too large coat on her and slide the coat over the sissy bar! My boys started on the back their first day in school. It was a sort of tradition. I didn't realize what an impression that had made until a few years ago when we were sitting around a camp fire telling stories. All of them had great memories from their first ride. Enjoy them while you can, they grow up way too damn fast.
Hootch
hootch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 09:20 PM   #23
Goon310
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
Can always put them in between you and the tank, at least for a quick blast around the neighborhood.
My dad would take my for rides on his harley when I was younger, with me sitting between him and the tank. Eventually I was big enough to sit on the back and reach the passenger pegs, and with a big sissy bar and back rest.

I don't remember this happening - too young obviously, but according to my dad at the age of 4 while riding between him and the tank, at 40mph I decided it would be a good idea to stand up. So I did, on the gas tank.
After that I didn't get to go on rides until I was big enough to reach the pegs.

Take your kids riding!
I'm glad my dad let me loose out in the desert on a pw80 when I was young.
Some good memories I will never forget.
Goon310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 01:42 PM   #24
farmerger
Snowed in Adventurer

Oddometer: 512
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goon310 View Post
Can always put them in between you and the tank, at least for a quick blast around the neighborhood.
My dad would take my for rides on his harley when I was younger, with me sitting between him and the tank. Eventually I was big enough to sit on the back and reach the passenger pegs, and with a big sissy bar and back rest.

I don't remember this happening - too young obviously, but according to my dad at the age of 4 while riding between him and the tank, at 40mph I decided it would be a good idea to stand up. So I did, on the gas tank.
After that I didn't get to go on rides until I was big enough to reach the pegs.

Take your kids riding!
I'm glad my dad let me loose out in the desert on a pw80 when I was young.
Some good memories I will never forget.

Exactly what we did when the youngest was still too small to ride his own.

Billy Connolly - "If women are so bloody perfect at multitasking, how come they can't have a headache and sex at the same time?"
farmerger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 10:58 PM   #25
Nailhead
Painting by numbers

Oddometer: 6,070
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Alvarez View Post
Now I get to ride almost every Sunday afternoon for a few hours at the track with my boy!
My dad owned several motorcycles and a dealership and I just realized he never ONCE bothered to go riding with me. Not once.

Keep it up Eddy and all the rest of you who act in a like manner-- you're doing what good dads do.

'7? Benelli 650S, '80 BMW R100 RS, '07 KTM 990 Adventure
Nailhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 09:13 PM   #26
Woodduck
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
Youngest is 6 and too short to reach the pegs, but loves going around standing on my feet on the trials bike at our farm. he's been through more creeks than his older brother, but thankfully never in control of the bike.

But it does hurt when you've freshly broken a toe by dropping the bike and the handle bar end drives into your foot.

Oldest boy can reach the pegs, but got a fright in a cross wind and doesn't want to go on the road at the moment. He's too tall on the trials bike and we bash helmets.
Old 03-19-2013, 06:39 AM   #27
ianbh
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 282
Here's one of a bud doing a track day with his daughter. Ian, Iowa

ianbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 07:05 AM   #28
BanjoBoy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 873
This is why ma GS sits in the garage...

Ya just neber know when that FD's gonna let go!