Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 67 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-25-2012, 06:31 AM   #256
KeithinSC
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,335
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeMonkee View Post
How about two wheel walk behind tractors?

Anybody have experience with those?
I have a Gravely L that was my Grandfathers. Similar to this one (generic 'net picture).
I use it as a bushhog, clearing thickets and shooting lanes. 30" mower deck. I've used it with a 48" finish mower, snowblower, plow blade, and rotary plow/tiller. It can be a tough machine to control, but is near unstoppable. It can climb any slope or side slope. Mine has dual turf tires, but with chains or Ag tires you have to be careful of wheelies!
Bushhogging, it will climb over a 4" pine tree and spit out toothpics.

No lawyer style safety controls, so it can pin you down and beat you up if you do anything stupid. I've got some good bruises where the handlebar kicked and got me in the leg!

Watch Craigslist for a used one. I've seen $300 to about $900 for one set up like the picture.

KeithinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 09:34 AM   #257
koncha

Oddometer: 10,044
My brother has a Bobcat Mini track loader. He's had it for years and loves it.

http://www.bobcat.com/loaders/minitrack

That might be a better option with more support than the Gravely.
koncha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 10:17 AM   #258
CodeMonkee
Geek Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,426
Quote:
Originally Posted by koncha View Post
My brother has a Bobcat Mini track loader. He's had it for years and loves it.

http://www.bobcat.com/loaders/minitrack

That might be a better option with more support than the Gravely.
Yeah, that or the Dingo might be a better tool for my general use than the BCS/Grillo, but they are also more expensive and slower. Speed isn't that big of a deal for me though as I am not going to really need to work a lot of land at any given time. My property isn't a farm, it is more of a forest lot with a few clear spots that are sloped, so I don't need to move around very fast.

The tracked nature of these things is better that the 2 wheeled tractors and they have some implements that the 2 wheel tractors don't - and I could use something that can lift stuff and has a grapple and such.

What does your brother use his for? Construction work or for working land?
Not all who wander are lost
CodeMonkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 11:44 AM   #259
koncha

Oddometer: 10,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeMonkee View Post
Yeah, that or the Dingo might be a better tool for my general use than the BCS/Grillo, but they are also more expensive and slower. Speed isn't that big of a deal for me though as I am not going to really need to work a lot of land at any given time. My property isn't a farm, it is more of a forest lot with a few clear spots that are sloped, so I don't need to move around very fast.

The tracked nature of these things is better that the 2 wheeled tractors and they have some implements that the 2 wheel tractors don't - and I could use something that can lift stuff and has a grapple and such.

What does your brother use his for? Construction work or for working land?
Used values on the walk-behinds aren't very good. He bought his with about 200 hours on it. He was in construction and did a lot of work finishing out strip mall spaces and wanted something that could get inside the buildings. He has since stopped working in construction but still has a lot of land that he works. He has a 2 acre garden and a 1 acre orchard.

He has put together a little co-op of people with these machines and the smaller Bobcat skid steers so they can share attachements. He has a bucket, grapple bucket, wood chipper, breaker and tiller. We've used the trencher, snow blower and stump grinder. I am sure he's used more than that but that is what I remember.

He used it to build a backstop for his range. He also built a custom attachment to hang deer for processing.

His son is 10 and is REALLY good at driving that thing.

I've used it on my little suburban lot for some projects and I was really impressed. I had to break out a concrete patio that was tilting into my foundation and it made VERY quick work of it. I also used it to move a shed.

He is looking to move to a larger lot. He has 6 acres and wants about 40. He says he'll move to a compact tractor but still keep the Bobcat.
koncha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 12:12 PM   #260
CodeMonkee
Geek Adventurer

There are a lot of different things I need or want to do.

I have some stumps (some pretty large) I need to remove. I would like to run water to the shop so I would have to dig a trench several hundred feet. I also want to put a concrete pad in front of the shop so I would have to level it and dig a trench for a French drain. I need to level some of my driveway and some of it, especially near the shop I need to spread some gravel on.

I need to cut down and chew up a lot of brush. I would like to put large stones as a border around some of the driveway and around the driveway island.

I also want to terrace this area and put in a garden:

Old 11-26-2012, 05:55 AM   #261
oj may
Have bike, will travel.

Oddometer: 2,541
I have a DR mower, 17 hp, chains, blade, chipper, 42" finish and 30" brush deck. I still use it a lot, even after buying a Kubota BX25 a year ago May.

The DR can do some amazing things, but it is a slower go at most jobs than the tractor. It will 'mow' over 1.5" trees and cut 6' tall grass and brush. It chips up to 4" branches.
Old 11-26-2012, 07:14 AM   #262
CodeMonkee
Geek Adventurer

Hmmmm....

The cost of even the used mini track loaders is at least twice to three times that of a new 2 wheeled tractor. For the difference in cost I could rent a skid steer several times a year for a number of years and still come out ahead.
Old 02-13-2013, 09:53 AM   #263
oj may
Have bike, will travel.

Ripper tooth

After 2 seasons of using the backhoe with a 12" bucket, I am thinking that a ripper tooth in place of the bucket is the way to go for stump removal. I am hoping there is a lot less back filling and it should tear through the larger roots much easier and make it less work to get the larger stumps out. Your thoughts?
Old 02-13-2013, 01:54 PM   #264
adam_c_eckhardt
done with Chemistry!

Oddometer: 5,106
Quote:
Originally Posted by oj may View Post
After 2 seasons of using the backhoe with a 12" bucket, I am thinking that a ripper tooth in place of the bucket is the way to go for stump removal. I am hoping there is a lot less back filling and it should tear through the larger roots much easier and make it less work to get the larger stumps out. Your thoughts?
If a ripper tooth is the same as we call a "frost tooth" it will in fact rip through things easier than a bucket, but it still has it's limits. If you want to work on stumps you may get frustrated by the fact that you can't angle the tooth under the stump, unless you have a wrist.

There are other benefits to this setup as well- if you had to dig a shallow trench for something like an invisible fence, or a direct bury electrical cable, you'll find a tooth does a pretty sweet job and makes less mess.
adam_c_eckhardt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:24 AM   #265
oj may
Have bike, will travel.

I did buy a 'ripper/frost' tooth. I also got a 'thumb' for the back hoe boom.

I purchased them from Bro-Tek. This company makes many products specifically for my Kubota model.

Next, I am going to fashion some home made forks for brush and light pallet duty. I can't wait for the ground to firm up, there is work to do.
Old 08-22-2013, 06:00 AM   #266
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,686
Well my good ole JD650 has bought the farm so to speak, and now I am looking for something along those same lines.
Just an internet pic but this is the 650:

Anyone have experience with the JD 1 series machines. I do not need a big machine, just mow, move gravel, normal live in the country on 20ac type stuff.
Another internet pic of the 1 series...and that is about how I would want it setup...and perhaps a pto wood chipper.

I currently have two riding lawn mowers for around the house. I mow the field with a 8n and brush hog, this is going to be for the front "yard" about 10-ac or so.

Not really interested in a zero turn, want a machine that can do more than just mow.....thinking about getting the back hoe attachment, I could really use that for clearing an old fence line of barb wire and black locust trees....lots of trees.

Thoughts on that machine, or other machines like it?
FPGT72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 06:16 AM   #267
adam_c_eckhardt
done with Chemistry!

Oddometer: 5,106
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPGT72 View Post

Thoughts on that machine, or other machines like it?
Are you really planning on mowing 10 acres with it or did I misunderstand you?

My father in law has a similar sized machine, mows a fairly open 2+ acre area with it and it takes several hours. No way would I want to do 10 acres with a machine that small.
adam_c_eckhardt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 11:32 AM   #268
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,686
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam_c_eckhardt View Post
Are you really planning on mowing 10 acres with it or did I misunderstand you?

My father in law has a similar sized machine, mows a fairly open 2+ acre area with it and it takes several hours. No way would I want to do 10 acres with a machine that small.
I did the back yard last night...about 8ac or so on the 8n just flat not the tree parts, and it took me about 2hrs or there about. The front yard...and I will just call them yards. Is about the same, on the 650 it took about the same time....I think it had a 72" deck...can't remember for sure. We have not mowed but perhaps 1ac of it and let the rest go to be bailed by the next door neighbor....we usually don't do that.....but I don't remember it taking an insane amount of time to do.

Really interested in the backhoe and bucket attachments, going to dig out tree stumps, move gravel around....work on some drainage ditches....work on the banks of the pond....that kind of thing.

Really leaning to this machine over the BX machines because of how easy the attachments seem to go on and come off, also the 650 had a Yanmar engine and it was very thrifty on the fuel.
FPGT72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 04:11 PM   #269
tommu56
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,300
I have a BX23 and couldn't be happier.

In my opinion the drive on decks are one more maintenance headache.
How often do you plan on switching attachments?

I only switch a couple times a year (I admit the 23 has a better BH attachment the 24,25`s) after you do a couple hook-ups it will be easier. YMMV. Use the hydraulic`s to do work not your. braun

Try the seating position I'm a big guy and just fit "in" the cockpit. That's one thing I never though about when looking.

Tom

fat fingered on a droid
tommu56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 01:42 PM   #270
Mendodave
Road Scholar

Oddometer: 876
Bx23

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommu56 View Post
I have a BX23 and couldn't be happier.
that is what I want, for my 3 acres of woods and lawn. I can't justify it as of yet, I've no place to put it! There is one locally (40 miles away) with 350 hours, $14k. That seems high. It has the FEL and BH. My lawn is not big enough to require the mower, but a box scraper could come in handy.

I can't just spend that $$ and have it rust outside all winter.

sigh.

Mendo
Mendodave is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: