ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-04-2013, 08:59 AM   #751
Odin69 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by coarsegoldkid View Post
Jason I tend to not travel very far on pavement to ride the dirt on my DRZ400S shod with D606 knobs.

Bye the way remember a few years back when you, Richard and Mikko rode off from the NorCal Meets SoCal in the Middle event I hosted. Bummer that your clutch cable snapped. .
Yeah, I have a DRZ with 606's also. Honestly, unless you're going to trailer your bike around, there just isn't anyway of avoiding the pavement. Bike tires are cheaper than towing your bike everywhere.

Yeah, I remember that ride and seeing all those nice clean GS's. I was hoping more of them would have come along with us but, I guess it's not everyone's cup of tea?
It sucked that the cable broke but, I still rode out past Coulterville. The wife met me half way with the trailer so, I didn't have to ride it all the way home like that.
I recently moved up around Amgels Camp so, I'm a lot further North than I used to be. I'll keep the ride you have planned in mind.
Old 03-05-2013, 06:09 PM   #752
Odin69 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I had a kick ass day of riding with a new riding buddy, Cyndy. We actually have been on some group rides together but, this was the first time it was just the two of us. It was a little cool this morning when we took off from Angels Camp. After a fuel stop we headed to Vallecito and hit Camp Nine Road.

Cyndy, flashing the peace sign. At least, I think she's holding up two fingers?

The Stanislaus River.

Some of the dirt road we rode on. I believe this is 3N03? We eventually hit Italian Bar Road and basicly just did a big loop until we rode back out to Camp Nine Road.

Taking a short break. Damn, I need to do some sit-ups.

Cyndy, cruising down the road.

Time for a lunch stop.

Great place to kick back and relax. The DRZ's enjoying the sun.

Last picture on the way home.

Cyndy, took some pictures and video. I'll see about posting them when they're done. Until then, .
Old 03-06-2013, 09:06 AM   #753
ckrockrider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 6
Great ride

Hey Jason, you caught my with my mouth full at the lunch break photo opp! Fun day, and yes that was a peace sign with two fingers
Old 03-08-2013, 09:02 AM   #754
Odin69 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Hey Cyndy, Get your hubby working on that video. I'd like to see it. Especially, the water board section.
Old 03-11-2013, 04:35 PM   #755
coarsegoldkid
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 521
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odin69 View Post

Yeah, I remember that ride and seeing all those nice clean GS's. I was hoping more of them would have come along with us but, I guess it's not everyone's cup of tea?
Last year Richard took out about 10 riders. Except for Richard the others were on big shinny bikes. One went swimming, they all got wet and dirty. Smiles all around.
coarsegoldkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 04:40 PM   #756
coarsegoldkid
Studly Adventurer

Jason with you up in that region and me down here we should be able to put together a good couple of days of mountain riding and camping(?). I've connected the dots between North Fork and the Evergreen lodge. Looking for more dots.
Old 03-13-2013, 06:46 AM   #757
coarsegoldkid
Studly Adventurer

I've also got one of these in Yellow Banana too.

Old 03-14-2013, 09:49 PM   #758
Odin69 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by coarsegoldkid View Post
Jason with you up in that region and me down here we should be able to put together a good couple of days of mountain riding and camping(?). I've connected the dots between North Fork and the Evergreen lodge. Looking for more dots.
Yeah, I've just started exploring the area around me. So far, I haven't found to many dirt roads. There are a few here and there but, I think I'll need to check above Arnold and Pincrest to find some good routes. In another month or two, more of the roads up there should be open and easier to scout out.
Old 03-15-2013, 10:09 AM   #759
Odin69 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I did a scouting trip yesterday, trying to find a good route for some future rides this year. I still need to connect the dots. I only found a few dirt roads here and there. Most were single paved roads, that still offered some nice scenery. Some of the dirt roads that I did find, had locked gates so, you couldn't access them, even though the map and GPS were showing them as public roads.

Here's some pictures I took. Some of the roads may look familiar to some of you?

This road was pretty rutted out but, it was dry and easy to ride.

The last dirt road I found wasn't a beginner road. It was still a little slippery from the mud and there were some good sized rocks and deep ruts you had to maneuver around. I didn't take any pictures of the bad stuff. There weren't any good spots to stop for a photo opportunity.

Old 03-15-2013, 12:02 PM   #760
Mr B
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 481
Hey good to see you out riding again Jason!!! Not much snow this year up there?

Leonardo da Vinci[/FONT]
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 10:38 PM   #761
Odin69 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Hi Bruce,

I checked the GPS, I was around 3,300 FT. No, there weren't any signs of snow. I was up in Big Trees last weekend and there was snow there. I don't think we really saw any until we got past Dorington on Hwy 4? I was thinking about exploring up there next week around Arnold? I have to see if it's going to rain or, not though? I'm not sure how muddy it is up there right now?

Are you in Iraq yet?
Old 03-17-2013, 10:24 AM   #762
Mr B
Gnarly Adventurer

No still waiting, afraid I might be a victim of the budget cuts!!! Hope not! Really want to get going this so i can get home, got new bike in mind!!

Enjoy the spring!!!

Leonardo da Vinci[/FONT]
Old 03-18-2013, 01:16 PM   #763
Odin69 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
No still waiting, afraid I might be a victim of the budget cuts!!! Hope not! Really want to get going this so i can get home, got new bike in mind!!

Enjoy the spring!!!
What kind of bike were you thinking about getting?
Old 03-19-2013, 07:44 AM   #764
Mr B
Gnarly Adventurer

Been eyeing the Husky 511 for quite some time now, but money has been an issue these past two years...Not sure now with KTM buying Husky..might pay to wait and see what happens to the brand...
I should be home in about 90 days or so, depends on when I deploy but when I do we should ride get some riding in..

Leonardo da Vinci[/FONT]
Old 03-19-2013, 08:34 AM   #765
McKay
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 745
I've got a 449 and couldn't be happier.

BTW KTM didn't buy Husky, one of the major stockholders did. He promises to bring the brand back to its earlier glory.