Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-18-2013, 09:08 AM   #4111
KamikazeKLR
Shorty on the 650

Oddometer: 559
Quote:
Originally Posted by GO_OUTSIDE! View Post
Kamikazi, at least get a klx needle and some 140 or 142.5 main jets.
What are the benefits of doing this?

Not all those who wander are lost
2002 Kawasaki KLR650 - Big Red
KamikazeKLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 09:14 AM   #4112
Aprilia
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 493
Quote:
Originally Posted by KamikazeKLR View Post
What are the benefits of doing this?
Off idle response is much improved, removes midrange surging that many experience and properly jets the bike throughout the range whereas Kawi had to go very very lean with needle settings to pass EPA standards and tried to make up for it by going overly rich on main jet (145 GenII and 148 genI)
Aprilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 10:45 PM   #4113
RevBill
Irreverent Reverend

Oddometer: 2,102
Quote:
Hahahahaha I'm a she.
.. lol .. I stand corrected .. SHE has a good Farkle list going ..

.. very kewl ..
RevBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 10:55 PM   #4114
RevBill
Irreverent Reverend

Oddometer: 2,102
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiBumBrian View Post
No ***t? Your magnet stayed in the case? Good thing you could easy it out... I know it wont float alot of your boats, but these are the "mods" I consider most essential, but I am a performance junkie...

Dont really have shots of my Ricor AIS shock, Intiminators, or progressive springs though....HA! To me the rest is fluff, but then again I don't tour my bike....
.. I wish I had the skill to port my carb correctly .. that would be awesome ..

.. completely agree on the suspension upgrades .. I went with a rebuilt USMC rear shock (for my size and the amount of crap I carry it was a great choice) and have yet to install the Ricors and the Progressives up front .. need to take a day or two off from work before Spring Fling in Nantahala and try to get the front end done ..

.. and yep .. a buncha creature-comforts makes the long-mile days much easier on the old frame .. mine, not the bikes .. lol ..
RevBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 11:27 PM   #4115
SkiBumBrian
DualSport Crazy !!

Oddometer: 1,041
There are some supposedly reputable companies (I won't mention them in a post) out there charging for the expensive process of porting and turning out substandard workmanship. You really need to be careful and make sure they are familiar and skilled with the KLR head.
Old 03-19-2013, 05:19 AM   #4116
GO_OUTSIDE!
dirty hippie

Oddometer: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiBumBrian View Post
???? On both accounts. For one, performance junkies love to transform anything they touch, the more the challenge the better. As far as your other comment, hahahahaha
Im serious, its a nice bike.
Old 03-19-2013, 05:24 AM   #4117
GO_OUTSIDE!
dirty hippie

Oddometer: 246
Also, i agree, I traded my sportbike for the KLR so I wouldnt end up in jail and ever since it has been a gradual progression towards more power. If I was back in Cali where I could make a decent living I would also have a full exhaust and big bore kit. Of course in Cali they dont automatically write reckless driving tickets for 15 over or lane splitting. The last one cost me over a grand and three court appearances with a lawyer. Virgina is really uptight. Definitely not for lovers.
Old 03-19-2013, 06:39 AM   #4118
Farmer829
Green horn

Oddometer: 52
Bluhduh Body Damage

Just took a weekend trip on dirt roads from Macon, GA to the Gulf Cost of FL. 600 miles round trip. Literally 30 feet from my garage I hit a perfectly placed cinder block hidden in tall grass. I dumped the bike and put a huge crack in the UPPER COWLING. Any word on if the newer cowling will fit an '09? I'm thinking of going with a new color just for kicks.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater
Farmer829 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 07:15 AM   #4119
KamikazeKLR
Shorty on the 650

Oddometer: 559
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevBill View Post
.. lol .. I stand corrected .. SHE has a good Farkle list going ..

.. very kewl ..
Didn't see that comin', eh?

Not all those who wander are lost
2002 Kawasaki KLR650 - Big Red
KamikazeKLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:10 AM   #4120
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,376
Quote:
Didn't see that comin', eh?

Old 03-19-2013, 08:48 AM   #4121
electroken
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer829 View Post
Just took a weekend trip on dirt roads from Macon, GA to the Gulf Cost of FL. 600 miles round trip. Literally 30 feet from my garage I hit a perfectly placed cinder block hidden in tall grass. I dumped the bike and put a huge crack in the UPPER COWLING. Any word on if the newer cowling will fit an '09? I'm thinking of going with a new color just for kicks.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater
When I sat on a 2013 recently I didn't notice any difference in the upper cowling from my '08... except for the bold new graphics.
electroken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:00 AM   #4122
SkiBumBrian
DualSport Crazy !!

Oddometer: 1,041
Quote:
Originally Posted by GO_OUTSIDE! View Post
Also, i agree, I traded my sportbike for the KLR so I wouldnt end up in jail and ever since it has been a gradual progression towards more power. If I was back in Cali where I could make a decent living I would also have a full exhaust and big bore kit. Of course in Cali they dont automatically write reckless driving tickets for 15 over or lane splitting. The last one cost me over a grand and three court appearances with a lawyer. Virgina is really uptight. Definitely not for lovers.
On occasion I see a nice sport bike for sale and get ready to pony up the cash and start thinking about how I would end up with a ledger full of tickets and/or a serious case of asphalt rash, or worse. Reason wins out and I stick with the KLR. Maybe a cruiser or a big cc adventure....
Old 03-19-2013, 09:37 AM   #4123
Thumper Bub
n00b

Oddometer: 1
08 Mods

I have a blue 08 KLR with the following mods:
-Zero Gravity Windshield
-Happy trails Fork Brace-first thing I did
-Custom Rear MOAB Shock from Cogent Dynamics with front fork springs and Race Tec Emulator-best thing I did
-Moose footpegs
-Melfo Explorer tires-awesome
-Cheap piece of crap Highway pegs from E-Bay-worst thing I did
-Sargent Saddle
-Assorted Wolfman bags.

As you can see, this is mostly about comfort as I am 6'5" and 285. The performance has always been fine for me. I ride mostly gravel and twisty country roads. The tires are amazing and wear like iron.
At 58, I just did two adventure rides and one road enduro. Crashed 3x, the last being the worst. I too cracked the upper faring and left a trail of monor parts like a taillight all over Southeastern Ohio. invented a few cuss words too. A replacement for just one upper faring is about $200, no aftermarket replacement or custom that I could find. I don't understand that . Epoxy put it back into a single piece, guess I will replace it when and if I ever sell it.
Thumper Bub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:57 AM   #4124
sdd04
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 521
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper Bub View Post
I have a blue 08 KLR with the following mods:
-Zero Gravity Windshield
-Happy trails Fork Brace-first thing I did
-Custom Rear MOAB Shock from Cogent Dynamics with front fork springs and Race Tec Emulator-best thing I did
-Moose footpegs
-Melfo Explorer tires-awesome
-Cheap piece of crap Highway pegs from E-Bay-worst thing I did
-Sargent Saddle
-Assorted Wolfman bags.

As you can see, this is mostly about comfort as I am 6'5" and 285. The performance has always been fine for me. I ride mostly gravel and twisty country roads. The tires are amazing and wear like iron.
At 58, I just did two adventure rides and one road enduro. Crashed 3x, the last being the worst. I too cracked the upper faring and left a trail of monor parts like a taillight all over Southeastern Ohio. invented a few cuss words too. A replacement for just one upper faring is about $200, no aftermarket replacement or custom that I could find. I don't understand that . Epoxy put it back into a single piece, guess I will replace it when and if I ever sell it.
$200.00 for one of the side panels, or one of the cowl sides?
sdd04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 11:10 AM   #4125
dmottv
Take the Long Way Home

Oddometer: 327
Quote:
Hi everyone, I'm new to this thread so i'll just make a list of what I have and post pics soon! I have an '02.
Mods I have planned :

- Wheatwhacker or whatever the name is mod
- Make a plastic dash to mount GPS and other gadgets
- Finish my seat
- New 12V adapter
- New rear tire (any suggestions? I want a cheap 70/30 street)
- Cruise control
- Have side engine guards made similar to SW Motech ones
- Vapour dash

I think that's it. I'm preparing for a trip from Winnipeg, Manitoba to St. John's, Newfoundland. Basically 14000 km there and back. If you guys could look over my list and give me feedback that would be awsome!
Thanks.
Some suggestions for you:
Aluminum Dash
Powerlet Panel Kit
Throttle Boss
HT Engine Guards
Sargent Seat

See the pic below for the aluminum dash, powerlet and wheatwacker mod. I had cruise on my K12LT, but like the Throttle Boss much better. It's small enough so it doesn't get caught in my sleeve. I like the SW guards but have seen them get bent, the HT look pretty robust and have plenty of bars to hang stuff like the GoPro. The Sargent Seat is the best addition to my KLR, and they have a low version. Have a great trip!

dmottv is offline   Reply With Quote